WINDY CITY TIMES
Transgression: Windy City Times Fourth Annual Literary Supplement
This article shared 1547 times since Wed Jun 20, 2007
By Ahimsa Timoteo Bodhrán
Would take you into my mouth? But it is not safe here. I feel safe with you, your skin the color of this night—medianoche—but I am concerned for you, worried. Does the safeness you provide me put you in danger? My skin is not as dark as yours, and I cannot always pass like the man you are. Your chest fills the lined ridges of my palms, your hands cradling the split halves of my ass, peachpalmed, each front wet, preliminarily. I know we cannot pass as brothers or, in some circles, even cousins or friends. More than the individual hatred of your skin or mine, I know we will be seen as queer if out this late—our bodies so closely capped together. And as big as you are, and as safe as I feel between your arms, tight around me, I know there is danger in this embrace, papi, and wonder if I am to cause.
Ahimsa Timoteo Bodhrán received his M.F.A. from Brooklyn College and is a Ph.D. candidate at Michigan State University.
This article shared 1547 times since Wed Jun 20, 2007
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Achy Obejas' bilingual poetry book Boomerang/Bumeran explores immigration, liberation 2021-10-11|
- Achy Obejas is a Cuban-American writer, translator and activist. Boomerang/Bumerán, her newest book, confronts questions of immigration, love and liberation. Like a boomerang, these ideas return throughout the collection, even ...
|POETRY E'mon Lauren Black talks queerness,
podcast, Black mobility 2021-03-11|
- Even though she's only in her early 20s, E'mon Lauren Black has accomplished so much. Not only was Black named Chicago's first youth poet laureate in 2016 (an honor from Young Chicago Authors, in partnership with ...
|Five Worth Finding: LGBTQ authors, paczki, skin-care items, Keto Mylk
- Tempest, by Ryan Meyer (NothingPeak.com): In Tempest, young LGBTQ writer Meyer departs from the horror themes in his 2018 poetry collection, Haunt. Using fictional vignettes and surreal personal accounts, he ...
|Chicago native named as state's fifth poet laureate 2020-11-25|
- Illinois First Lady MK Pritzker announced Angela Jackson as the next poet laureate for the state. Jackson, a Chicago native, is the fifth Illinoisan to hold the title, an honorary position selected by a committee of ...
Trans singer Kyler O'Neal debuts music video, talks poetry 2020-09-01|
- Kyler O'Neal is a transgender contemporary, folk artist. She officially released her debut music video for her single Satan's Tears on Sept. 1, and that is currently available for streaming on YouTube and Vimeo. Windy City ...
|'One Poem: A Protest Reading in Support of Black Lives' Aug. 18 2020-08-13|
- On Tuesday, Aug. 18, at 7 p.m., the Poetry Coalitiona network of 25+ literary organizations that includes Lambda Literary and Young Chicago Authorswill present "One Poem: A Protest Reading in Support of Black Lives." In this ...
|BOOKS Yvonne Zipter: Looking at Chicagoan's life, poetry collection 2020-08-05|
- Writer Yvonne Zipter nurtures nature and other ideas in her new book of poetry Kissing the Long Face of the Greyhound. Zipter grew up in Milwaukee and lived there until she was 24. She earned a ...
|The Queer Landscape, Chicago Danztheatre presents performance on LGBTQ+ identity 2020-01-14|
- CHICAGO (January 6th, 2020) - Chicago Danztheatre Ensemble is pleased to announce the third installment of its 2019-20 Art & Activism Performance Series, THE QUEER LANDSCAPE, an evening of live performance, art, and poetry centered around ...
|Trans Day of Resilience Art, Poetry Uplift Black Trans Power and Liberation
- November 20, 2019 Ten trans and non-binary visual artists and poets of color from across the country, including Chicagoan Benji Hart, have collaborated to honor Trans Day of Resilience (TDOR) by creating original artwork to ...
|South Side Open Mic, Writing Workshop Series planned for survivors of sexual harm 2019-09-04|
- Chicago Alliance Against Sexual Exploitation is producing two south side programs for survivors of sexual harm. The monthly writing workshop and the monthly open mic are intended to give survivors a brave space to work on ...
|Gene Siskel Film Center to present Toni Morrison: The Pieces I Am Aug. 23-29 2019-08-06|
- As a venue that celebrates all art forms and a public program of the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, the Gene Siskel Film Center mourns the loss of the celebrated Black author and Nobel ...
|BOOK REVIEW On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous 2019-07-23|
- Book by Ocean Vuong. $26; Penguin Press; 256 pages One quote on author Ocean Vuong's website refers to him as "the Walt Whitman of Vietnamese-American literature." Vuong's poetry collection, Night Sky with Exit Wounds, was a ...
|Poetry block party July 27 in Pilsen 2019-07-22|
- The Chicago Poetry Block Party (CPBP)a free, all-ages celebration of poetry, music and creativityreturns to the National Museum of Mexican Art, 1852 W. 19th St. on Saturday, July 27, 3-8 p.m. Presented by the Poetry Foundation ...
|POETRY e nina jay aims to help women shed shame 2019-06-26|
- e nina jay wants women to stop feeling shame. "I think about how much we, as girls and women, waste being ashamed," the Black lesbian poet said via phone. "How many conversations don't happen and how ...
|Artist fuses video, poetry to inspire psychedelic experience 2019-06-23|
- Poet, new media and sound artist Sara Naomi Goodman will perform "Deep Dream: An Evening of Poetry and Video Synthesis" followed by a Q&A at Slate Arts and Performance Tuesday, June 25. The piece combines a ...