WINDY CITY TIMES
||Five Worth Finding: LGBTQ authors, paczki, skin-care items, Keto Mylk
This article shared 794 times since Fri Feb 5, 2021
Tempest, by Ryan Meyer (NothingPeak.com): In Tempest, young LGBTQ writer Meyer departs from the horror themes in his 2018 poetry collection, Haunt. Using fictional vignettes and surreal personal accounts, he explores issues such as fear, hope and self-identity. Tempest isn't available to the general public until March 1, but it can be pre-ordered at various sites, including Amazon.
The Mourning Report, by Caitlin Garvey: Another LGBTQ writer, Chicago-based Caitlin Garvey, writes about her mother and her own sexuality in The Mourning Report. The work details Garvey's "grief journey," in which she interviews the people involved in her mother's dying process: a hospice nurse, a priest, an estate planner, a hairstylist and a funeral director. If she figured out how they could function after being so close to her mother's death, then maybe she could learn how to navigate her own life. The Mourning Report asks what it means to "move on."
Delightful Pastries' paczki (5927 W. Lawrence Ave.; DelightfulPastries.com): In case you don't know, paczki are filled doughnuts, usually found in Polish cuisine. And when it comes to these treats (and other items), Delightful Pastries is one of the best known. This year's flavors include apricot jelly, sea-salted caramel, plum butter, and even moonshine and lemonamong others. And don't forget that Paczki Day is Fat Tuesday, Feb. 16.
Hourglass Equilibrium skin products (HourglassCosmetics.com, nordstrom.com): These newest (vegan and cruelty-free) products are meant to establish balance to your skinhence the name. Equilibrium Restoring Essence (doesn't feel greasy at all and should be used to prime skin. A little of the Rebalancing Cream Cleanser goes a long way (and that's meant in the best possible way) while the Intensive Hydrating Eye Balm instantly plumps that undereye area. Your skin will thank you.
Mooala Keto Mylk (mooala.com): Mooalawhich already had products such as almond, oat and even banana milk as well as creamersnow has Keto Mylk. Varieties include Original, Vanilla Creme, Cinnamon Roll and Chocolaty Chipand they're all delicious. Also, if you don't want to get it online, you can find which stores are nearby.
This article shared 794 times since Fri Feb 5, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
Lambda Literary Awards to take place June 1 2021-05-03|
- The 33rd Annual Lambda Literary Awardswhich celebrates LGBTQ+ books and authorswill take place Tuesday, June 1, 6-8 p.m. Typically held in person in New York City, this year's Lammys will be presented virtually for the first ...
|1971: The Chicago Daughters of Bilitis 2021-05-03|
Excerpt from Chicago After Stonewall: Gay Lib to Gay Life - An excerpt from Chicago After Stonewall: Gay Lib to Gay Life, a new book by St Sukie de la Croix. You can buy the book from Amazon.com, all good bookstores, and for a signed copy, rattlinggoodyarns.com ...
|BOOKS Chicago After Stonewall available May 11
- Chicago After Stonewall: Gay Lib to Gay Life—a detailed account of how LGBTQ's in Carl Sandburg's "City of the Big Shoulders" responded to the Stonewall Riots—will be available May 11. This book pulls together jigsaw pieces ...
|Trans, non-binary youth influencers launch book collection with "A Kids Book About" 2021-04-12|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL - April 12, 2021 - While many teens took e-learning as an opportunity to level-up their gaming skills, a group of young people chose instead to write a collection of books about their lives. ...
|WORLD Court rulings, trans kids' books, activist dies, Naomi Campbell 2021-03-07|
- A Chinese court upheld a ruling that a textbook description of homosexuality as "a psychological disorder" was not a factual error but merely an "academic view," according to the South China Morning Post. The Chinese LGBT ...
|Pride and Less Prejudice to host panel on LGBTQ media representation March 20
- On Saturday, March 20, at 1 p.m. CT, Pride and Less Prejudice (PLP)which provides free, age-appropriate, LGBTQ-inclusive books to pre-K-3rd grade students in order to foster LGBTQ inclusivity and acceptancewill ...
|BOOKS Author examines James Beard's life in
'The Man Who Ate Too Much' 2021-01-24|
- Any established person in the food/restaurant industry or true foodie has surely heard of James Beard (1903-85), who many feel revolutionized cuisine in the United States more than any other individual. In The Man Who Ate ...
|Research shows racial bias denied social reformer Ada S. McKinley her due in history 2021-01-19|
--From a press release - (Jan. 19, 2021; Chicago, Ill.) Newly released scholarly research about Chicago social reformer Ada S. McKinley indicates her contributions to Chicago and to the field of human services have been ignored and marginalized due to her ...
|'Mombian Database' released
- Mombian columnist Dana Rudolph has released the Mombian Database of LGBTQ Family Books, Media, and More, with more than 500 books, music albums, movies, games and toys for and about LGBTQ families. The site offers multiple ...
|BOOKS: The best of 2020 2020-12-23|
- You've got a little extra time this month, and you don't want to waste it. You want to read something good, the possibilities are endless, and the best place to begin is with these Best Books ...
|SHOWBIZ Wentworth Miller, Whitney, lesbian author, Mark Wahlberg 2020-11-16|
- Out actor Wentworth Miller said he doesn't want to be involved in a new season of the TV show Prison Break if it happens, according to Deadline. On Instagram, he thanked fans for his support and ...
|Booksellers launch "Boxed Out" campaign, a look at consumer choices 2020-10-22|
--From a press release - (New York, New York) 20% of independent bookstores across the country are in danger of closing. Today, theAmerican Booksellers Association launched the "Boxed Out" campaign to draw attention to the high stakes indie bookstores face this ...
|BOOK REVIEW Gay Like Me: A Father Writes to His Son 2020-10-22|
- By Richie Jackson $24.99; Harper; 163 pages Like father, like son. When you were small, people said you looked just like your dad. As you grew up, they said you had his sense of humor or his temper, you laughed alike, ...
|MOVIES 'Cicada' flies into virtual film festivals this fall 2020-09-25|
- Set in New York City, a queer-centered movie called Cicada is now hitting virtual film festivals and explores complicated relationships with a backdrop of childhood trauma. Ben and Sam meet at a bookstore and a journey ...
|MOMBIAN True stories, trans tales and more in new picture books 2020-09-16|
- New books can be a delightful relief in these days of quarantine. Here are some of the many new LGBTQ-inclusive picture books that just came out last month. (See Mombian.com for even more.) The Fighting Infantryman, ...