WINDY CITY TIMES
||Five Worth Finding: LGBTQ authors, paczki, skin-care items, Keto Mylk
This article shared 969 times since Fri Feb 5, 2021
Tempest, by Ryan Meyer (NothingPeak.com): In Tempest, young LGBTQ writer Meyer departs from the horror themes in his 2018 poetry collection, Haunt. Using fictional vignettes and surreal personal accounts, he explores issues such as fear, hope and self-identity. Tempest isn't available to the general public until March 1, but it can be pre-ordered at various sites, including Amazon.
The Mourning Report, by Caitlin Garvey: Another LGBTQ writer, Chicago-based Caitlin Garvey, writes about her mother and her own sexuality in The Mourning Report. The work details Garvey's "grief journey," in which she interviews the people involved in her mother's dying process: a hospice nurse, a priest, an estate planner, a hairstylist and a funeral director. If she figured out how they could function after being so close to her mother's death, then maybe she could learn how to navigate her own life. The Mourning Report asks what it means to "move on."
Delightful Pastries' paczki (5927 W. Lawrence Ave.; DelightfulPastries.com): In case you don't know, paczki are filled doughnuts, usually found in Polish cuisine. And when it comes to these treats (and other items), Delightful Pastries is one of the best known. This year's flavors include apricot jelly, sea-salted caramel, plum butter, and even moonshine and lemonamong others. And don't forget that Paczki Day is Fat Tuesday, Feb. 16.
Hourglass Equilibrium skin products (HourglassCosmetics.com, nordstrom.com): These newest (vegan and cruelty-free) products are meant to establish balance to your skinhence the name. Equilibrium Restoring Essence (doesn't feel greasy at all and should be used to prime skin. A little of the Rebalancing Cream Cleanser goes a long way (and that's meant in the best possible way) while the Intensive Hydrating Eye Balm instantly plumps that undereye area. Your skin will thank you.
Mooala Keto Mylk (mooala.com): Mooalawhich already had products such as almond, oat and even banana milk as well as creamersnow has Keto Mylk. Varieties include Original, Vanilla Creme, Cinnamon Roll and Chocolaty Chipand they're all delicious. Also, if you don't want to get it online, you can find which stores are nearby.
This article shared 969 times since Fri Feb 5, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Gerber/Hart comedy benefit Sept. 18 2021-07-31|
- Gerber/Hart Library and Archives, 6500 N. Clark St.. will host a comedy benefit, "Stacks of Laughter," on Saturday, Sept. 18. At 6 p.m., there will be a VIP reception with local historian John D'Emilio. Also, a ...
|NATIONAL Amazon, condo collapse, T-shirt controversy, GLSEN 2021-07-18|
- At least two Amazon employees have resigned in recent weeks to protest the company's decision to continue to sell a book they say frames young people who identify as transgender as mentally ill, NBC News reported. ...
|BOOKS Author, activist Roy Wesley on his new book about his father 2021-07-12|
- Gay Chicago author, activist and Fermalogic, Inc. COO Roy Wesley has written a new book about his father—Invisible Vision: The hidden story of Dr. Newton K. Wesley, American contact-lens pioneer. Windy City Times: What made you ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Pray Away,' film contest, LGBTQ book, musicians, 'Star Trek' 2021-07-11|
- The new Netflix Original Documentary Pray Away, from executive producers Ryan Murphy and Jason Blum, will make its global launch on the platform Aug. 3, a press release noted. In the film, former leaders of the ...
|SHOWBIZ Wanda Sykes on TV, trans jazz musician, book award, 'Red Table Talk' 2021-06-27|
- Wanda Sykes has been tapped for a recurring role in the upcoming fifth season of Robert and Michelle King's legal drama The Good Fight, on Paramount+, Deadline noted. She will play Allegra Duradoa brilliant, strategic attorney ...
|BOOKS Grandma, Grace Jones are heroes in non-binary author's children's book
- Non-binary author, alternative hip hop artist, mother and activist Ris iRAWniQ Anderson has published the children's book in Charlie's Best Work Yet. Charlie's Best Work Yet tells the semi-autobiographical story of Charliea shy, artistic ...
|New book: Majority Leader Hoyer unsung hero of Don't Ask, Don't Tell repeal 2021-06-22|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, DC — In a new book, LGBTQ Lobbying in the United States, authored by Dr. Christopher Pepin-Neff, LGBTQ researcher and Senior Lecturer in Public Policy at the University of Sydney and first lobbyist for Don't ...
|The Cost of Pride: Research goes inside LGBTQ movement's two decades of progress 2021-06-21|
--From a press release - Sydney, Australia — With LGBTQ Pride Month upon us, new University of Sydney research released today paints a vivid picture of how the LGBTQ community has achieved groundbreaking advancements over the past two decades. The study ...
|BOOKS Precious Brady-Davis has arrived 2021-06-18|
- Recently honored by Mayor Lightfoot and the LGBTQ Advisory Council as a community leader who has "helped build the foundation for a more welcoming, equitable and inclusive Chicago," Precious Brady-Davis wants to do it all. She ...
|"Chicago: Where comics came to life (1880-1960)" at Chicago Cultural Center
--From a press release - "Chicago: Where comics came to life (1880-1960)" opens Saturday, June 19 at Chicago Cultural Center. The new exhibition celebrates Chicago as the comics capital of the world. Current exhibitions include ...
|New book sets the record straight on Act Up New York 2021-06-10|
- Novelist, playwright, nonfiction writer, journalist, screenwriter, LGBTQ+-rights activist and AIDS historian Sarah Schuman preserves the power of the AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power (ACT UP) while laying everything out about ...
|Lambda Literary Award winners announced 2021-06-09|
- On June 1, Lambda Literary announced the winners of its 33rd Annual Lambda Literary Awards. The winners were selected by a panel of more than 60 literary professionals from more than 1,000 book submissions from more ...
|Temple Beth-El to offer 'Drag Queen Story Time' on June 5 2021-05-31|
- Temple Beth-El, a Reform Jewish synagogue in Northbrook, will hold "Drag Queen Story Time" on Saturday, June 5, 4-4:45 p.m., on Zoom. The all-ages event will feature Merriam Levkowitz, described on a flyer as "Chicago's premier ...
|An Evening with Fran Lebowitz at the Auditorium Theatre on April 15, 2022 2021-05-25|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL May 24, 2021 — An Evening with Fran Lebowitz on Friday, April 15th at Auditorium Theatre located at 50 E. Congress Pkwy Chicago, IL. This show is all ages and begins at 7:30 PM ...
|Little library honoring John Pennycuff is unveiled 2021-05-24|
- Chicago's Unity Park Advisory Council (UPAC) held "Park Day" May 22 at the site, 2636 N. Kimball Ave.and one of the events involved the unveiling of a custom-designed little library that honors late LGBTQ-rights activist John ...