WINDY CITY TIMES
||Chicago native named as state's fifth poet laureate
This article shared 1332 times since Wed Nov 25, 2020
Illinois First Lady MK Pritzker announced Angela Jackson as the next poet laureate for the state.
Jackson, a Chicago native, is the fifth Illinoisan to hold the title, an honorary position selected by a committee of experts and subsequently appointed by the governor.
Jackson is an accomplished and award-winning poet, novelist and playwright who has published three chapbooks and four volumes of poetry. As Illinois' next poet laureate, Jackson will work to promote poetry at the state and national level.
She will join only four other esteemed poets who have previously held this title. The first Illinois poet laureate, Howard B. Austin, was named in 1936. The three other poets who have held the title are Carl Sandburg (1962-67), Gwendolyn Brooks (1968-2000) and Kevin Stein (2003-17). In June, Gov. JB Pritzker posthumously named John Prine an honorary poet laureate.
Jackson, 69, was born in Greenville, Mississippi, and raised on Chicago's South Side; she was educated at Northwestern University and the University of Chicago. She was a 20-year member of the Organization of Black American Culture (OBAC) Writers Workshop, succeeding the late Hoyt W. Fuller as its chair.
This article shared 1332 times since Wed Nov 25, 2020
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|POETRY E'mon Lauren Black talks queerness,
podcast, Black mobility 2021-03-11|
- Even though she's only in her early 20s, E'mon Lauren Black has accomplished so much. Not only was Black named Chicago's first youth poet laureate in 2016 (an honor from Young Chicago Authors, in partnership with ...
|Five Worth Finding: LGBTQ authors, paczki, skin-care items, Keto Mylk
- Tempest, by Ryan Meyer (NothingPeak.com): In Tempest, young LGBTQ writer Meyer departs from the horror themes in his 2018 poetry collection, Haunt. Using fictional vignettes and surreal personal accounts, he ...
Trans singer Kyler O'Neal debuts music video, talks poetry 2020-09-01|
- Kyler O'Neal is a transgender contemporary, folk artist. She officially released her debut music video for her single Satan's Tears on Sept. 1, and that is currently available for streaming on YouTube and Vimeo. Windy City ...
|'One Poem: A Protest Reading in Support of Black Lives' Aug. 18 2020-08-13|
- On Tuesday, Aug. 18, at 7 p.m., the Poetry Coalitiona network of 25+ literary organizations that includes Lambda Literary and Young Chicago Authorswill present "One Poem: A Protest Reading in Support of Black Lives." In this ...
|BOOKS Yvonne Zipter: Looking at Chicagoan's life, poetry collection 2020-08-05|
- Writer Yvonne Zipter nurtures nature and other ideas in her new book of poetry Kissing the Long Face of the Greyhound. Zipter grew up in Milwaukee and lived there until she was 24. She earned a ...
|The Queer Landscape, Chicago Danztheatre presents performance on LGBTQ+ identity 2020-01-14|
- CHICAGO (January 6th, 2020) - Chicago Danztheatre Ensemble is pleased to announce the third installment of its 2019-20 Art & Activism Performance Series, THE QUEER LANDSCAPE, an evening of live performance, art, and poetry centered around ...
|Trans Day of Resilience Art, Poetry Uplift Black Trans Power and Liberation
- November 20, 2019 Ten trans and non-binary visual artists and poets of color from across the country, including Chicagoan Benji Hart, have collaborated to honor Trans Day of Resilience (TDOR) by creating original artwork to ...
|South Side Open Mic, Writing Workshop Series planned for survivors of sexual harm 2019-09-04|
- Chicago Alliance Against Sexual Exploitation is producing two south side programs for survivors of sexual harm. The monthly writing workshop and the monthly open mic are intended to give survivors a brave space to work on ...
|Gene Siskel Film Center to present Toni Morrison: The Pieces I Am Aug. 23-29 2019-08-06|
- As a venue that celebrates all art forms and a public program of the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, the Gene Siskel Film Center mourns the loss of the celebrated Black author and Nobel ...
|BOOK REVIEW On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous 2019-07-23|
- Book by Ocean Vuong. $26; Penguin Press; 256 pages One quote on author Ocean Vuong's website refers to him as "the Walt Whitman of Vietnamese-American literature." Vuong's poetry collection, Night Sky with Exit Wounds, was a ...
|Poetry block party July 27 in Pilsen 2019-07-22|
- The Chicago Poetry Block Party (CPBP)a free, all-ages celebration of poetry, music and creativityreturns to the National Museum of Mexican Art, 1852 W. 19th St. on Saturday, July 27, 3-8 p.m. Presented by the Poetry Foundation ...
|POETRY e nina jay aims to help women shed shame 2019-06-26|
- e nina jay wants women to stop feeling shame. "I think about how much we, as girls and women, waste being ashamed," the Black lesbian poet said via phone. "How many conversations don't happen and how ...
|Artist fuses video, poetry to inspire psychedelic experience 2019-06-23|
- Poet, new media and sound artist Sara Naomi Goodman will perform "Deep Dream: An Evening of Poetry and Video Synthesis" followed by a Q&A at Slate Arts and Performance Tuesday, June 25. The piece combines a ...
|Pride poetry-slam competition June 12 2019-05-22|
- In honor of Chicago's Pride Month, The Blackstone, Center on Halsted and StoryStudio Chicago invite the community to celebrate all things love this June during a slam poetry competition on Wed., June 12. The event will ...
|The Publishing Triangle's 31st Annual Triangle Awards 2019-04-26|
- April 25, 2019The 31st annual Triangle Awards, honoring the best LGBTQ fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and trans literature published in 2018, were presented this evening at the New School's Auditorium (66 West 12 Street, New York City) ...