||i2i's special gala
This article shared 2745 times since Fri Oct 1, 2010
The great hall of the Japanese American Service Committee was transformed Aug. 28 into a lively scene as 150 members, friends and allies of the queer Asian/Pacific Islander ( API ) community gathered to network, celebrate their achievements and honor their own.
The event was a joint effort of Chicago's i2iInvisible to InvincibleQAPI organization and the National Queer Asian Pacific Islander Association ( NQAPIA ) . The gathering feted i2i's fifth anniversary, served as the centerpiece social event of NQAPIA's conference in Chicago over the weekend, and helped to raise funds for future programs and social justice work. About 150 individuals attended, representing the many ethnicities and gender identities within the very diverse API community.
According to spokesperson Liz Thomson, about half of the attendees were local Chicago activists and allies and half hailed from cities and towns around the United States. The pioneers of the group were present as well as the upcoming generation of fabulously invincible QAPI movers and shakers.
The program, emceed by transgender slam poet Kit Yan, featured a performance by lesbian comic Sapna Kumar and a documentary retrospective on i2i. NQAPIA Community Catalyst awards were presented to the Lunar New Year for All Coalition, queer undocumented immigrant and founder of www.DREAMActivist.org Mohammad Abdollahi and Chicago's own Lola Lai Jong.
The buffet dinner featured basil chicken, tofu pad thai, egg rolls and crab rangoon. Photos and text by Micki Leventhal
This article shared 2745 times since Fri Oct 1, 2010
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Out 'K-Pop Confidential' author discusses latest 'Revolution'-ary work 2022-04-05|
- Stephan Lee, author of K-Pop Confidential, rocks on with his newest book, K-Pop Revolution, which came out April 5. Originally from Atlanta and a current Los Angeles resident, Lee lived in New York City for years ...
|LGBTQ+ Asian group to host May 21 anti-hate event 2022-03-26|
- Asians & Friends Chicago (AFC)—an LGBTQ social organization supporting the Asian community and those who have interests in Asian cultures—is hosting a pre-Pride event to debut its "#asianlove" theme of ...
|NATIONAL Mayor makes history, LGBTQ+ Latinx demo, fashion show, N.C. law 2022-03-20|
- In Florida, Boynton Beach elected its first out LGBTQ mayoras well as the first Asian-American mayor in the state's history, LGBTQ Nation noted. Ty Penserga not only won the election, but he beat a homophobe who ...
|Joffery Academy's 'Winning Works' returns, features four world premieres 2022-02-24|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO – Feb. 23, 2022 – The Joffrey Academy of Dance, Official School of The Joffrey Ballet, presents four world premieres in the culmination of Joffrey’s national call for ALAANA (African, Latinx, Asian, Arab and Native American) a ...
|First out lesbian and first out LGBTQ person of color confirmed to ambassador-level post 2022-02-09|
- On Feb. 8, the U.S. Senate confirmed Chantale Wong as United States director to the Asian Development Bank a post with the rank of ambassador, according to an LGBTQ Victory Institute press release.
|Queer players of color explore gender, sexuality through role-playing games at NU 2021-12-08|
- All of the characters Akbar creates have a similar background: They are intensely asexual, visibly South Asian and around Akbar's age. Sometimes the characters dress like Akbar, too. Akbar uses these characters for Tabletop Club, a ...
|Biden announces diplomatic boycott of 2022 Beijing Olympics 2021-12-07|
- The Biden administration will not send an official U.S. delegation to the 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics in Beijing, starting a "diplomatic boycott" aimed at criticizing China over what the United States said is the Asian ...
|Yoshi's Cafe to close permanently after Dec. 12 2021-12-03|
- Yoshi's Cafe, a Northalsted restaurant that specialized in the fusion of French and Asian cuisines for almost four decades, will close permanently after Dec. 12, The Chicago Tribune reported. "Yoshi's Cafe's last day will be Dec. 12th ...
|NATIONAL DC attack, NC law, conversion therapy, trans woman shot 2021-08-15|
- A gay Asian man and his parents were beaten in Washington D.C. near Vice President Kamala Harris' home by a man shouting slurs, LGBTQ Nation reported. Patrick Joseph Miller Trebat was arrested at the scene on ...
|Aug. 12 dance film to explore gender, queerness in South Asian arts 2021-08-03|
- Ashwaty Chennat, a Chicago Dancemakers 2021 Digital Dance grantee, has continued her collaboration with Abhijeet Rane to explore gender, queerness and the body in South Asian arts and traditions. An excerpt of Chennai and Rane's ...
|MOVIES 'In the Heights' available as soon as July 30 2021-07-14|
- The 2021 musical film In the Heights will arrive on 4K, Blu-ray and DVD on Aug. 31. However, it will arrive for Premium Digital Ownership at home on July 30. The film is directed by Jon M. Chu (Crazy Rich Asians) ...
|Gov. Pritzker signs legislation, Asian American history to be taught in public schools 2021-07-09|
--From a press release - SKOKIE - On July 9, Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker signed HB 376, the Teaching Equitable Asian American History Act, into law, making Illinois the first state in the nation to require a unit of Asian American ...
|Out lesbian Chantale Wong nominated to ambassador-level post 2021-07-02|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — Today President Joe Biden nominated Chantale Wong to be the United States Director to the Asian Development Bank, a post with the rank of ambassador. Wong is the first out lesbian and first ...
|DANCE Joffrey Academy seeking submissions from minority applicants for competition 2021-06-01|
- The Joffrey Academy of Dance, Official School of The Joffrey Ballet, has announced a national call for ALAANA (African, Latinx, Asian, Arab and Native American) artists to submit applications for The Joffrey Academy's Twelfth Annual Winning ...
|Family Acceptance Project has new Asian-language posters for families with LGBTQ kids 2021-05-19|
--From a press release - San Francisco, CA, May 19, 2021 …… In conjunction with Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) Heritage Month in May, the Family Acceptance Project at San Francisco State University is releasing a series of 8 new ...