WINDY CITY TIMES
This article shared 2692 times since Wed Nov 12, 2008
'You have no idea, really, of how profound this moment is for us. Us being the black people of the Southern United States. You think you know, because you are thoughtful, and you have studied our history. But seeing you deliver the torch so many others before you carried, year after year, decade after decade, century after century, only to be struck down before igniting the flame of justice and of law, is almost more than the heart can bear. And yet, this observation is not intended to burden you, for you are of a different time, and, indeed, because of all the relay runners before you, North America is a different place. It is really only to say: Well done.' — Writer Alice Walker, in an open letter to President-elect Barack Obama dated Nov. 5, on TheRoot.com .
'I would advise you to remember that you did not create the disaster that the world is experiencing, and you alone are not responsible for bringing the world back to balance. A primary responsibility that you do have, however, is to cultivate happiness in your own life.' — Writer Alice Walker, in an open letter to President-elect Barack Obama dated Nov. 5, on TheRoot.com .
'I would further advise you not to take on other people's enemies. Most damage that others do to us is out of fear, humiliation and pain. Those feelings occur in all of us, not just in those of us who profess a certain religious or racial devotion. We must learn actually not to have enemies, but only confused adversaries who are ourselves in disguise.' — Writer Alice Walker, in an open letter to President-elect Barack Obama dated Nov. 5, on TheRoot.com .
'Today the gay citizenry of this state will pick themselves up and dust themselves off and do what we have been doing for years. We will get back into it. We love this state, we love this country and we are not going to leave it.' — Lesbian singer Melissa Etheridge to MomLogic.com on Nov. 6, after the anti-same-sex-marriage initiative Proposition 8 passed in California.
—Compiled by Andrew Davis
This article shared 2692 times since Wed Nov 12, 2008
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
- "The problem is that today, as I write this, young men and women whose behaviors, choices or attitudes are not deemed 'man enough' or 'normal' are being subjected to all kinds of abuse from verbal to ...
- "Chalk it up to progress that some celebrities are now embarrassed to be thought of as having been in the closet, which increasingly seems like a relic from the last century (even as it still endures ...
- "[L]et us not forget about what it meant when my husband appointed those two magnificent Supreme Court justices. And for the first time in history, our daughters and our sons watched three women take their seat ...
- "The heart has reasons that reason does not know. When Cupid's arrow strikes [ whether it's opposite-sex couples, racially mixed couples, or same-sex couples ] , it's a feeling that can't be denied. Love in all ...
- "But now, the remarkable new reality for Obama in this election is that supporting marriage equality is smart politics. A majority of independents and young voters already favor equal marriage rights. These are important voting blocks, ...
This article is from Outlines newspaper, which purchased and merged with Windy City Times in Sept. 2000. - "[N]ot one of the 26 new [TV] series scheduled by Fox, NBC, CBS and ABC has even one black lead or major supporting player. ... But when you count both new and returning series, there will ...
|The grapevine 2001-05-09|
This article is from Outlines newspaper, which purchased and merged with Windy City Times in Sept. 2000. - "IT'S DIFFICULT to be a friend or family member if I don't know the man." ... Gay author Gore Vidal, on being asked by Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh to be one of his "friend" witnesses ...
This article is from Outlines newspaper, which purchased and merged with Windy City Times in Sept. 2000. - "I DON'T live my life to be a role model. I realize that being open about my relationship has put me in that position, but I'm not going to not break up because I'm a role model." — Singer Melissa Etheridge ...
|The grapevine 2001-04-04|
This article is from Outlines newspaper, which purchased and merged with Windy City Times in Sept. 2000. - "If I weren't the most famous lesbian in the world, no one would notice. But everyone was watching us like we were the only lesbians on the planet. That alone made being together difficult. ... We ...
|The Grapevine 2001-03-07|
This article is from Outlines newspaper, which purchased and merged with Windy City Times in Sept. 2000. - "The question must be asked: after two decades of sunken faces on the evening news, political protests during rush-hour traffic, AIDS quilts, recriminations, free condoms and Marisol and Julio's drama played out in a [New York ...
This article is from Outlines newspaper, which purchased and merged with Windy City Times in Sept. 2000. - "Almodovar, who is one of my best friends, is a recognized homosexual, and I never had a problem. To discuss this kind of thing at the end of the millennium is kind of absurd. I've been saying this for five years: ...
|The Grapevine 2000-10-11|
- "In 1968 the Vietnam War was the main target of [ Democratic convention ] protesters. This year's demonstrations showcased a dazzling myriad of issues, including reproductive rights, child support, corporate ...
|The Grapevine 2000-09-27|
- "John Paulk was a poster boy for the ex-gay movement. ... In 1998 he and his wife, an 'ex-lesbian,' appeared on Newsweek's cover to illustrate a story about the controversial movement, which is disavowed by psychiatric ...
- "Everyone says to me, 'Your mother being who she is, it must have been easy [ coming out to her ] .' But she had more difficulty with it than my dad." — Christopher Rice, 22, son of novelist Anne Rice, ...
- "WILL ONE of you old queens please bring this old queen a large gin and tonic." — What England's Queen Mother reportedly says sometimes at midmorning to "a lot of elderly screamers on her staff at ...