WINDY CITY TIMES
This article shared 1966 times since Wed Jan 11, 2012
"But now, the remarkable new reality for Obama in this election is that supporting marriage equality is smart politics. A majority of independents and young voters already favor equal marriage rights. These are important voting blocks, and a key part of the President's reelection strategy. Support for gay rights will also help him energize liberals in the Party and others who think he has not acted boldly around core progressive issues such as immigration and the environment and on other civil-rights issues. Hard-right conservatives who strongly oppose marriage rights, meanwhile, will never support Obama anyway"Democratic political strategist Richard Socarides, in The New Yorker, Dec. 19.
"My New Year's resolution is to werque myself more deeply into some high-level Wiccananigans and to straddle the cone of power with disarming intentions."Performer Justin Vivian Bond, to Queerty, Jan 2.
"It wasn't like handing over the torch, but it gave [Lady Gaga] my blessing, because it's nice to endorse young people. She was doing pretty well before that, but it was like me saying to her, 'I absolutely love you, and you go ahead and do what you want to do because you do it great.' That happened to me with people like George Harrison and Neil Diamond."Elton John to the L.A. Times, Jan. 1.
"Even myself, I had no idea of the many injustices in the gay community, whether it's the adoption of children, marriage, benefits, [or] estates. But a lot of it was the assumption in the hetero world, in the straight worldmy mother and I, we just assumed that gay people received automatically, by birthright, the same benefits as us."Pam Grier on her role on L Word, to The Advocate, Dec. 19.
"I asked [Newt] if he's elected, how does he plan to engage gay Americans. How are we to support him? And he told me to support Obama."Penn University Prof. Scott Arnold on Bilerico, Dec. 21.
This article shared 1966 times since Wed Jan 11, 2012
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
- "The problem is that today, as I write this, young men and women whose behaviors, choices or attitudes are not deemed 'man enough' or 'normal' are being subjected to all kinds of abuse from verbal to ...
- "Chalk it up to progress that some celebrities are now embarrassed to be thought of as having been in the closet, which increasingly seems like a relic from the last century (even as it still endures ...
- "[L]et us not forget about what it meant when my husband appointed those two magnificent Supreme Court justices. And for the first time in history, our daughters and our sons watched three women take their seat ...
- "The heart has reasons that reason does not know. When Cupid's arrow strikes [ whether it's opposite-sex couples, racially mixed couples, or same-sex couples ] , it's a feeling that can't be denied. Love in all ...
This article is from Outlines newspaper, which purchased and merged with Windy City Times in Sept. 2000. - "[N]ot one of the 26 new [TV] series scheduled by Fox, NBC, CBS and ABC has even one black lead or major supporting player. ... But when you count both new and returning series, there will ...
|The grapevine 2001-05-09|
This article is from Outlines newspaper, which purchased and merged with Windy City Times in Sept. 2000. - "IT'S DIFFICULT to be a friend or family member if I don't know the man." ... Gay author Gore Vidal, on being asked by Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh to be one of his "friend" witnesses ...
This article is from Outlines newspaper, which purchased and merged with Windy City Times in Sept. 2000. - "I DON'T live my life to be a role model. I realize that being open about my relationship has put me in that position, but I'm not going to not break up because I'm a role model." — Singer Melissa Etheridge ...
|The grapevine 2001-04-04|
This article is from Outlines newspaper, which purchased and merged with Windy City Times in Sept. 2000. - "If I weren't the most famous lesbian in the world, no one would notice. But everyone was watching us like we were the only lesbians on the planet. That alone made being together difficult. ... We ...
|The Grapevine 2001-03-07|
This article is from Outlines newspaper, which purchased and merged with Windy City Times in Sept. 2000. - "The question must be asked: after two decades of sunken faces on the evening news, political protests during rush-hour traffic, AIDS quilts, recriminations, free condoms and Marisol and Julio's drama played out in a [New York ...
This article is from Outlines newspaper, which purchased and merged with Windy City Times in Sept. 2000. - "Almodovar, who is one of my best friends, is a recognized homosexual, and I never had a problem. To discuss this kind of thing at the end of the millennium is kind of absurd. I've been saying this for five years: ...
|The Grapevine 2000-10-11|
- "In 1968 the Vietnam War was the main target of [ Democratic convention ] protesters. This year's demonstrations showcased a dazzling myriad of issues, including reproductive rights, child support, corporate ...
|The Grapevine 2000-09-27|
- "John Paulk was a poster boy for the ex-gay movement. ... In 1998 he and his wife, an 'ex-lesbian,' appeared on Newsweek's cover to illustrate a story about the controversial movement, which is disavowed by psychiatric ...
- "Everyone says to me, 'Your mother being who she is, it must have been easy [ coming out to her ] .' But she had more difficulty with it than my dad." — Christopher Rice, 22, son of novelist Anne Rice, ...
- "WILL ONE of you old queens please bring this old queen a large gin and tonic." — What England's Queen Mother reportedly says sometimes at midmorning to "a lot of elderly screamers on her staff at ...
- "Inside a small wood-frame house near a running creek, a mother sits on the edge of her slain son's still-made bed. Arthur 'J.R.' Warren Jr. is not coming home. The woman's hands are clasped in front ...