WINDY CITY TIMES
by Kate Sosin, Windy City Times
This article shared 2269 times since Wed Apr 11, 2012
"[L]et us not forget about what it meant when my husband appointed those two magnificent Supreme Court justices. And for the first time in history, our daughters and our sons watched three women take their seat on our nation's highest court… And let us not forget what their decisionsthe impact those decisions will have on our lives for decades to comeon our privacy and security, on whether we can speak freely, worship openly, and, yes, love whomever we choose"First Lady Michelle Obama in Metro Weekly, March 20.
"I sing songs about love, and just as people have a right to choose to listen to songs about love, I believe that people have a right to marry the person that they love. I won't give up until there's equality for all."Singer/songwriter Jason Mraz, in Human Rights Campaign Commercial, March 21.
"Growing up in L.A., I can't say there is a typical gay guy. There are many different versions of gay men. Some have good style and some don't. It's not like just because you're gay you're fashionable. I would say to any man to just dress for themselves and be comfortable in their bodies and be confident no matter what."Reality TV star Nicole Richie to the Advocate, March 27.
"Many bigots see you as being like a woman or wanting to be a woman, which gay men will internalize and see as negative. Feminism looks at that thought and says, 'What the f*ck is wrong with being a woman?' and pats you on the back, and even may give you a pair of heels to strut in. This part of feminism was and is to this day empowering. I needed to hear that message at 18, and I still need to hear it now."Activist Zach Stafford in the Huffington Post, April 3.
"I'm a dummy about a lot of stuff, and I couldn't care less. And who I am is a laundry list of people, places, things, and random experiences I've collected in the 50 years I've been on the planet. I am undefinable. I am unattainable. I have found my voice, and I'm never again going to search for what I never really lost in the first place."Trans actress Alexandra Billings in the Huffington Post, April 2.
"I want to see the president evolve because I believe that is right; marriage equality is morally right."U.S. Senate hopeful Elizabeth Warren, to the Washington Blade, March 21.
This article shared 2269 times since Wed Apr 11, 2012
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
- "The problem is that today, as I write this, young men and women whose behaviors, choices or attitudes are not deemed 'man enough' or 'normal' are being subjected to all kinds of abuse from verbal to ...
- "Chalk it up to progress that some celebrities are now embarrassed to be thought of as having been in the closet, which increasingly seems like a relic from the last century (even as it still endures ...
- "The heart has reasons that reason does not know. When Cupid's arrow strikes [ whether it's opposite-sex couples, racially mixed couples, or same-sex couples ] , it's a feeling that can't be denied. Love in all ...
- "But now, the remarkable new reality for Obama in this election is that supporting marriage equality is smart politics. A majority of independents and young voters already favor equal marriage rights. These are important voting blocks, ...
This article is from Outlines newspaper, which purchased and merged with Windy City Times in Sept. 2000. - "[N]ot one of the 26 new [TV] series scheduled by Fox, NBC, CBS and ABC has even one black lead or major supporting player. ... But when you count both new and returning series, there will ...
|The grapevine 2001-05-09|
This article is from Outlines newspaper, which purchased and merged with Windy City Times in Sept. 2000. - "IT'S DIFFICULT to be a friend or family member if I don't know the man." ... Gay author Gore Vidal, on being asked by Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh to be one of his "friend" witnesses ...
This article is from Outlines newspaper, which purchased and merged with Windy City Times in Sept. 2000. - "I DON'T live my life to be a role model. I realize that being open about my relationship has put me in that position, but I'm not going to not break up because I'm a role model." — Singer Melissa Etheridge ...
|The grapevine 2001-04-04|
This article is from Outlines newspaper, which purchased and merged with Windy City Times in Sept. 2000. - "If I weren't the most famous lesbian in the world, no one would notice. But everyone was watching us like we were the only lesbians on the planet. That alone made being together difficult. ... We ...
|The Grapevine 2001-03-07|
This article is from Outlines newspaper, which purchased and merged with Windy City Times in Sept. 2000. - "The question must be asked: after two decades of sunken faces on the evening news, political protests during rush-hour traffic, AIDS quilts, recriminations, free condoms and Marisol and Julio's drama played out in a [New York ...
This article is from Outlines newspaper, which purchased and merged with Windy City Times in Sept. 2000. - "Almodovar, who is one of my best friends, is a recognized homosexual, and I never had a problem. To discuss this kind of thing at the end of the millennium is kind of absurd. I've been saying this for five years: ...
|The Grapevine 2000-10-11|
- "In 1968 the Vietnam War was the main target of [ Democratic convention ] protesters. This year's demonstrations showcased a dazzling myriad of issues, including reproductive rights, child support, corporate ...
|The Grapevine 2000-09-27|
- "John Paulk was a poster boy for the ex-gay movement. ... In 1998 he and his wife, an 'ex-lesbian,' appeared on Newsweek's cover to illustrate a story about the controversial movement, which is disavowed by psychiatric ...
- "Everyone says to me, 'Your mother being who she is, it must have been easy [ coming out to her ] .' But she had more difficulty with it than my dad." — Christopher Rice, 22, son of novelist Anne Rice, ...
- "WILL ONE of you old queens please bring this old queen a large gin and tonic." — What England's Queen Mother reportedly says sometimes at midmorning to "a lot of elderly screamers on her staff at ...
- "Inside a small wood-frame house near a running creek, a mother sits on the edge of her slain son's still-made bed. Arthur 'J.R.' Warren Jr. is not coming home. The woman's hands are clasped in front ...