EN LA VIDA
||PARTNERS IMMIGRATION ACT UPDATE
This article shared 5749 times since Wed Oct 1, 2003
The Permanent Partners Immigration Act ( PPIA ) has received new cosponsorship in the Senate and the House of Representatives. The Senate version of PPIA ( S.1510 ) now enjoys the support of six cosponsors with the recent addition of Sen. Frank Lautenberg, D-NJ.
The PPIA gained two additional cosponsors in the House of Representatives, Corrine Brown ( D-Fla. ) and Danny Davis ( D-Ill. ) . With the addition of these two members the current number of cosponsors on the House bill ( H.R. 832 ) jumps to 117.
The Department of State has announced the 2005 Diversity Visa Lottery Program. Registration for the Lottery will being Nov. 1, 2003. This year, for the first time, the application process will be entirely electronic no paper applications will be accepted. According to the Department of State ( DOS ) , it is switching to an electronic system both to cut down on fraud ( particularly multiple entries into the lottery ) and as an information-gathering tool in the fight against terrorism. It is not clear whether DOS plans to use this information to track undocumented immigrants, but with the new electronic system, there is now a substantial risk for undocumented immigrants in the U.S. to apply for the DV lottery and they should not do so without first consulting a qualified immigration attorney.
This article shared 5749 times since Wed Oct 1, 2003
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Applications for asylum based on LGBT status top 11,000 between 2012, 2017
--From a press release - A new study from the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law estimates that 11,400 applications for asylum on the basis of LGBT status were filed in the U.S. between 2012 and 2017. Three out of ...
|TANIA UNZUETA: Fighting for justice, one cause at a time 2021-03-04|
- LGBTQ, immigration and political activist Tania Unzueta has spent the last three years living in Georgia involved in political and electoral organizing. She returned to Chicago in January with her partner. Unzueta came to Chicago from ...
|1.3 million adult immigrants in the US identify as LGBT
--From a press release - LGBT immigrants are more often male and younger compared to all immigrants in the country An estimated 1,274,500 LGBT foreign-born adults live in the U.S., including 289,700 who are undocumented and 984,800 who are documented, according ...
|Cook County Board unanimously approves immigration resolution
- On Jan. 28, the Cook County Board of Commissioners unanimously approved resolution #21-0495, which calls upon the federal government to implement policies to protect the immigrant community and strengthen the immigration system in the United States. ...
|Calif. court blocks Trump administration's asylum rule
- In response to a request from Immigration Equality, Lambda Legal, and Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California issued an order on Jan. 8 blocking, in its ...
|Lambda Legal, others challenge Trump administration's asylum rule
- Lambda Legal, Immigration Equality and co-counsel Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP filed a federal lawsuit, Immigration Equality v. U.S. Department of Homeland Security, challenging the Trump administration's recently published ...
|Lambda Legal, Immigration Equality to challenge asylum ban
- On Dec. 10, the Department of Homeland Security and Department of Justice announced they will soon publish a new rule that Lambda Legal said "eviscerates the United States asylum system," according to a joint press release ...
|Largest survey of undocumented immigrants finds acute economic distress 2020-12-07|
- LOS ANGELES — The members of the California Immigrant Relief Assistance Coalition announce the release of one of the largest surveys of undocumented immigrant needs during the COVID-19 pandemic. More than 91,000 Californians participated in the ...
|Judge orders restoration of DACA
- Judge Nicholas Garaufis, of the U.S. District Court in Brooklyn, ordered the Trump administration to fully restore Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)an Obama-era initiative that protects undocumented immigrants brought ...
|'Lives at Stake' virtual panel Oct. 19 2020-10-14|
- On Monday, Oct. 19, at 7:30 p.m. Rainbow Railroad, joined by the American Immigration Lawyers Association's Chicago chapter, will present a unique and timely virtual panel discussion entitled, "Lives at Stake: Implications of the U.S. Election ...
|Rainbow Railroad panel to discuss election implications for displaced LGBTQIs 2020-10-07|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, ILLINOIS Rainbow Railroad, joined by the Chicago Chapter of the American Immigration Lawyers Association, will host a virtual panel discussion Oct. 19 at 7:30 p.m , CT, focusing on the life and death implications ...
|ICIRR, coalition of immigrant rights groups sue over the unlawful fee rule 2020-08-21|
--From a press release - [Chicago] The Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights (ICIRR) today announced that it has joined a coalition of nine of the nation's leading immigrant rights organizations in filing a lawsuit ...
|81,000 'Dreamers' identify as LGBT, 39,000 of them have participated in DACA 2020-06-18|
- There are an estimated 81,000 LGBT Dreamers in the U.S., including 39,000 who have participated in Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), according to an updated report by the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law. ...
|NCLR cheers court ruling invalidating attempt to end DACA 2020-06-18|
- WASHINGTON, DC — Today, the U.S. Supreme Court invalidated the Trump Administration's attempt to end the Department of Homeland Security's Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, which provides relief ...
|NATIONAL Lawsuit against ICE, election items, Rufus Gifford, Puerto Rico killings 2020-05-04|
- A coalition of LGBTQ and immigration activists filed a class-action lawsuit demanding the immediate release of all transgender detainees in Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) detention, NBC News reported. The ...