WINDY CITY TIMES
||Calif. court blocks Trump administration's asylum rule
This article shared 582 times since Sat Jan 9, 2021
In response to a request from Immigration Equality, Lambda Legal, and Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California issued an order on Jan. 8 blocking, in its entirety, a Trump administration rule that would have made it virtually impossible for all refugeesincluding those who are LGBTQ or living with HIVto secure asylum in the United States, according to a Lambda Legal press release.
Judge James Donato wrote, "In effect, the government keeps crashing the same car into a gate, hoping that someday it might break through. … But our system has no room for relitigating the same facts and law in successive district court cases ad infinitum... Plaintiffs provide legal services and other assistance to those seeking asylum and similar protections from persecution or violence in their home countries. They have provided ample evidence that if enacted, the Rule would harm this mission. … A nationwide injunction is warranted."
Immigration Equality v. Department of Homeland Security was filed on behalf of plaintiffs Immigration Equality, Oasis Legal Services, The TransLatin@ Coalition, Black LGBTQIA+ Migrant Project, and Transgender Law Center.
Lambda Legal Senior Attorney Omar Gonzalez-Pagan said, "The rule is rooted in xenophobia and cruelty. It also is a haphazard attempt to enact a sweeping and unworkable overhaul of our asylum system, without adequate justification or compliance with the law. Lives are at stake and we are relieved that the court has put this abhorrent policy on hold while we continue to make our case. We are gratified by the Court's quick action and confident that these attempted changes will never take effect."
The full order is at www.lambdalegal.org/in-court/legal-docs/immigrationequality_us_20210108_order-re-preliminary-injunction .
This article shared 582 times since Sat Jan 9, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|COVID Pritzker announces state coronavirus website
- Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker announced a new portal on coronavirus.illinois.gov to provide residents with easily accessible information about the COVID-19 vaccine. Coronavirus.illinois.gov will provide eligible residents with nearby vaccination sites ...
|Biden's repeal of trans military ban impacts over 15,500 adults in the military
--From a Williams Institute press release - A summary of current data on transgender military service in U.S. Today, President Biden signed an executive order ending the ban on transgender military service. The directive instructs the Department of Defense to reinstate the 2016 ...
|LGBTQA+ organizations praise Biden's lift of trans military ban
- After President Joe Biden signed an executive order on Jan. 25 lifting former President Donald Trump's ban on transgender individuals being in the military, several LGBTQA+ groups and individuals issued press releases praising the move: LGBTQ ...
|Biden's relief plan grows assistance for 3M LGBT adults experiencing food insecurity 2021-01-24|
- Today, President Biden signed executive orders to address the economic effects of the COVID-19 crisis. The orders include plans to expand the federal nutrition assistance program, pause federal debt payments for veterans, establish a $15 an ...
|NATIONAL Bidens, NYC businesses, notable deaths, anti-Trump suit 2021-01-24|
- President Joe Biden and his team recently named openly gay man Jeff Marootian as special assistant to the president on Climate and Science Agency Personnel, according to Instinct Magazine, citing The Washington Blade. Marootian is one ...
|WORLD Honduran Congress, deportation, Canadian support, athlete comes out 2021-01-24|
- On Jan. 21, members of the Honduran Congress voted to amend the constitution, making it much harder to reverse existing hard-line bans on abortion and same-sex marriage, as lawmakers double down on socially conservative priorities, Openly ...
|LGBTQ+ Americans greet the Biden-Harris era with hope, hesitancy 2021-01-22|
Kate Sosin, 19thnews.org - To many, the moment marks a new dawn, the end of deeply distressing four years. Others are simply exhausted. A lot of kids spend their teenage years worrying about dates and dances. Eli Bundy has spent ...
|Pritzker: Illinois moving into Phase 1B of COVID vaccination plan
- Building on the state's progress in administering the COVID-19 vaccine, Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker announced the state will move into the early stages of Phase 1B of the COVID-19 Vaccine Administration Plan beginning Monday, Jan. 25. ...
|Equality Caucus applauds early pro-LGBTQ+ actions of Biden administration 2021-01-21|
--From a press release - Washington, D.C. — The Congressional LGBTQ+ Equality Caucus is pleased to see important steps already taken by the Biden Administration to promote fairness and equality for the LGBTQ+ community and applauds the President and his team ...
|Governors, Lt. Governors encourage all to make a plan and get vaccinated 2021-01-21|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Today, Governor Pritzker and governors and lieutenant governors from Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, Minnesota, Ohio, and Wisconsin joined together to encourage everyone to make a plan for how they can get the safe and effective ...
|Gov. Pritzker praises President Biden's plan to combat COVID-19 2021-01-21|
--From a press release - Gov. Pritzker Statement on the Announcement of President Biden's Plan to Combat COVID-19 CHICAGO — Governor JB Pritzker issued the following statement following President Biden's announcement of the national plan to combat COVID-19. "One ye ...
|As Sen. Heather Steans resigns, Planned Parenthood of Illinois comments on her work 2021-01-21|
--From a press release - Statement from Jennifer Welch, President and CEO of Planned Parenthood Illinois Action: "We will miss working with Senator Heather Steans, a fierce champion for reproductive rights in Illinois. As the lead Senate sponsor for HB40 and ...
|Alexi Giannoulias running for secretary of state in 2022
- Alexi Giannoulias—a Democratic politician and financier who was Illinois state treasurer during 2007-11—has thrown his hat back into the political ring, as he plans to run for Illinois secretary of state in 2022. He would succeed ...
|Day 2 Executive Order prohibits discrimination against millions of LGBTQs
--From a press release - Today, President Biden directed federal agencies to affirm that LGBTQ people are protected from discrimination under existing civil rights statutes. Biden is the first president to issue an Executive Order directly on LGBTQ rights on the ...
|AMA applauds Biden Day 1 actions on COVID-19, racial equity, climate, WHO 2021-01-21|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — The American Medical Association (AMA) today applauded the Biden Administration's first-day actions that tackle the COVID-19 pandemic and climate change, re-engage with the World Health Organization (WHO), and ...