WINDY CITY TIMES
||Calif. court blocks Trump administration's asylum rule
This article shared 482 times since Sat Jan 9, 2021
In response to a request from Immigration Equality, Lambda Legal, and Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California issued an order on Jan. 8 blocking, in its entirety, a Trump administration rule that would have made it virtually impossible for all refugeesincluding those who are LGBTQ or living with HIVto secure asylum in the United States, according to a Lambda Legal press release.
Judge James Donato wrote, "In effect, the government keeps crashing the same car into a gate, hoping that someday it might break through. … But our system has no room for relitigating the same facts and law in successive district court cases ad infinitum... Plaintiffs provide legal services and other assistance to those seeking asylum and similar protections from persecution or violence in their home countries. They have provided ample evidence that if enacted, the Rule would harm this mission. … A nationwide injunction is warranted."
Immigration Equality v. Department of Homeland Security was filed on behalf of plaintiffs Immigration Equality, Oasis Legal Services, The TransLatin@ Coalition, Black LGBTQIA+ Migrant Project, and Transgender Law Center.
Lambda Legal Senior Attorney Omar Gonzalez-Pagan said, "The rule is rooted in xenophobia and cruelty. It also is a haphazard attempt to enact a sweeping and unworkable overhaul of our asylum system, without adequate justification or compliance with the law. Lives are at stake and we are relieved that the court has put this abhorrent policy on hold while we continue to make our case. We are gratified by the Court's quick action and confident that these attempted changes will never take effect."
The full order is at www.lambdalegal.org/in-court/legal-docs/immigrationequality_us_20210108_order-re-preliminary-injunction .
This article shared 482 times since Sat Jan 9, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|City Hall, Cook County Building closed Jan. 20 for safety reasons
- Chicago's City Hall (121 N. LaSalle St.) and the Cook County Building (118 N. Clark St.) will be closed to the public Wed., Jan. 20 as a precautionary step to ensure public safety on Inauguration Day, ...
|National COVID-19 Memorial Service Jan. 19 to remember lives lost 2021-01-19|
- CHICAGO, IL— Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot and the City of Chicago, in partnership with the incoming Biden-Harris Administration, invite everyone in Chicago to take part in the National COVID-19 Memorial Service to remember the lives lost ...
|Steans resigns from Illinois Senate; tenure marked by advances in women's, LGBTQ rights 2021-01-19|
--From a press release - State Senator Heather Steans (D-Chicago) today announced her resignation after 12 years of service, declaring "it's time for fresh faces and new energy" in Springfield. "It's been the privilege of a lifetime to represent the most ...
|Biden nominates Dr. Rachel Levine, first trans person nominated for Senate-confirmed position
--From press releases - From Victory Institute: Washington, DC — President-elect Joe Biden nominated Pennsylvania Secretary of Health Dr. Rachel Levine to be the U.S. Assistant Secretary of Health — a historic nomination that makes her the first out trans ...
|Biden picks transgender assistant health secretary
- President-elect Joe Biden has chosen Pennsylvania Health Secretary Rachel Levine to be his assistant secretary of health—positioning her to become the first openly transgender federal official to be confirmed by the U.S. Senate, a Seattle Times ...
|Lightfoot and city leaders lead MLK interfaith event
- Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot virtually gathered with civic, business and religious leaders this weekend to celebrate the life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. at the City of Chicago's 35th Annual Interfaith Celebration. This year's ceremony ...
|WORLD Global Fund, Croatian case, Poland items, Hillsong 2021-01-17|
- In 2020, the Global Fund signed 157 grants for a total of $8.54 billion for HIV, tuberculosis and malaria programs and to strengthen systems for healthand this is the highest number of grants the program ever ...
|NATIONAL Defamation case, inauguration items, PrEP, Capitol riot 2021-01-17|
- A New York appeals court ruled that falsely accusing someone of being gay is no longer considered defamation per se, NBC News reported. Defamation is a false statement that damages someone's reputation. "It meant that it ...
|COVID-19 Three regions to end Tier 3 mitigations; IRA responds to dining changes
- Following a decrease in COVID-19 test positivity rates and hospitalizations throughout Illinois, Gov. JB Pritzker announced regions across the state are now eligible to move out of Tier 3 mitigations—the ...
|Gov. Pritzker activates Illinois National Guard for security of state buildings 2021-01-15|
- SPRINGFIELD — Governor JB Pritzker has activated 250 members of the Illinois National Guard for State Active Duty in response to the warnings issued this week by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) regarding threats to ...
|Research on military trans ban shows urgency of Biden acting on pledge 2021-01-14|
--From a press release by The Palm Center - President-elect Joseph Biden has promised to reverse the military's ban on service by transgender Americans on "day one" of his presidency. Research recently released by the Palm Center explains why lifting the ban is an urgent ...
|Gov. Pritzker releases statement on impeachment of President Trump 2021-01-14|
--From a press release - Springfield Governor JB Pritzker issued the following statement following the second impeachment of President Trump. "For the first time in United States history, a sitting President has been impeached on two separate occasions by the ...
|40+ national LGBTQ and movement leaders call for removal of President 2021-01-14|
--From a GLAAD press release - GLAAD and more than 40 national LGBTQ and movement leaders have signed onto a statement calling for the removal of Pres. Trump from office: "Our nation's security and the personal security of every American is in ...
|U.S. House votes to impeach Trump again
- On Jan. 13, a majority of the U.S. House has voted to impeach President Donald Trump for a second time. Trump would be the first U.S. president to be impeached twice. This development occurred a week ...
|Welch set to be new Illinois House speaker, ending Madigan era
- State Rep. Emanuel "Chris" Welch is positioned to become Illinois' speaker of the House, ending Mike Madigan's decades-long occupation of that role, The Chicago Tribune reported. Welch will also be the state's first Black speaker ...