WINDY CITY TIMES
||Calif. court blocks Trump administration's asylum rule
This article shared 2993 times since Sat Jan 9, 2021
In response to a request from Immigration Equality, Lambda Legal, and Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California issued an order on Jan. 8 blocking, in its entirety, a Trump administration rule that would have made it virtually impossible for all refugeesincluding those who are LGBTQ or living with HIVto secure asylum in the United States, according to a Lambda Legal press release.
Judge James Donato wrote, "In effect, the government keeps crashing the same car into a gate, hoping that someday it might break through. … But our system has no room for relitigating the same facts and law in successive district court cases ad infinitum... Plaintiffs provide legal services and other assistance to those seeking asylum and similar protections from persecution or violence in their home countries. They have provided ample evidence that if enacted, the Rule would harm this mission. … A nationwide injunction is warranted."
Immigration Equality v. Department of Homeland Security was filed on behalf of plaintiffs Immigration Equality, Oasis Legal Services, The TransLatin@ Coalition, Black LGBTQIA+ Migrant Project, and Transgender Law Center.
Lambda Legal Senior Attorney Omar Gonzalez-Pagan said, "The rule is rooted in xenophobia and cruelty. It also is a haphazard attempt to enact a sweeping and unworkable overhaul of our asylum system, without adequate justification or compliance with the law. Lives are at stake and we are relieved that the court has put this abhorrent policy on hold while we continue to make our case. We are gratified by the Court's quick action and confident that these attempted changes will never take effect."
The full order is at www.lambdalegal.org/in-court/legal-docs/immigrationequality_us_20210108_order-re-preliminary-injunction .
This article shared 2993 times since Sat Jan 9, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|LPAC endorses Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot for re-election 2022-06-30|
-- From a press release - LPWashington, DC — LPAC, the national political organization dedicated to electing more LGBTQ women to public office, announced today it has endorsed Lori Lightfoot as she seeks re-election as Mayor of Chicago. LPAC is committed to ...
| Lightfoot's Women's Advisory Council releases report on economic impacts of COVID on Chicago women 2022-06-30|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO Today, Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot's Women's Advisory Council (WAC), in partnership with World Business Chicago, Women Employed, and Civic Consulting Alliance, published Creating a More Equitable Recovery: Addressing ...
|Wisconsin governor challenges abortion ban 2022-06-29|
- Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers and Attorney General Josh Kaul have filed a lawsuit seeking to block the state's 173-year-old ban on abortions, asking a state court to declare the law unenforceable, ABC 7 Chicago reported. In ...
|ELECTIONS LGBTQ+ primary candidates experience varied results 2022-06-29|
- LGBTQ+ candidates running for office in the 2022 primary contests throughout Illinois got mixed results, according to results as of June 29. In the 13th District, state Rep. and House Majority Leader Greg Harris is stepping ...
|Survey: Americans hold complex views on gender identity and trans+ Issues 2022-06-29|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON, D.C. (June 28, 2022) — As the United States addresses issues of transgender rights and the broader landscape around gender identity continues to shift, the American public holds a complex set of views around these ...
|2022 PRIMARY ELECTIONS Pritzker, Jackson, Bailey among winners 2022-06-29|
- The Illinois primary elections took place June 28—and there was a mix of the expected and the surprising. In the governor's race, incumbent JB Pritzker easily won the Democratic primary over Beverly Miles (93% ...
|Equal Employment Opportunity Commission adds X gender marker to charge intake process 2022-06-28|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON — The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) announced today full implementation of the opportunity to select a nonbinary "X" gender marker during the intake process for filing a charge of discrimination. "By adding a ...
|ELECTIONS Giannoulias speaks about secretary of state contest 2022-06-27|
- Former State Treasurer Alexi Giannoulias has been mounting a primary run to be Illinois secretary of state. Giannoulias, who held the office from 2007-2011 and ran for the U.S. Senate in 2010 (he lost to former ...
|Politicians attend Equality Illinois' pre-Parade reception 2022-06-27|
- Before Chicago's 2022 Pride Parade, Equality Illinois held a reception for elected officials, candidates and community leaders at Fat Cat Bar. Among those who were slated to attend were Gov. JB Pritzker and First Lady MK ...
|U.S. House passes resolution urging Griner's release 2022-06-26|
- The U.S. House passed a bipartisan resolution calling on the Russian government to immediately release WNBA star Brittney Griner, CNN reported. "Not a day goes by that we aren't thinking of Brittney and working to get ...
|ELECTIONS Ald. Pat Dowell talks congressional run, Brittney Griner, LGBTQs 2022-06-26|
- At the beginning of this year, Illinois Congressman Bobby Rush (D-1st District) announced that he was retiring from federal office. Almost immediately, several people announced their intentions to succeed him. (The total number is now at ...
|NATIONAL Biden's proposal, VP Harris, Elizabeth Taylor, outbreak, candidates 2022-06-26|
- Lambda Legal issued a press release lauding the Biden administration for issuing proposed regulations that will help protect LGBTQI+ youth against unlawful discrimination. The proposed rules, issued by the U.S. ...
|ELECTIONS Judicial candidate Brad Trowbridge on a repeat run, objectivity, Kyle Rittenhouse 2022-06-25|
- If Brad Trowbridge's face looks familiar from Windy City Times' election-related articles, that would make sense. The openly gay attorney has run in local judicial races three times, narrowly losing in 2020. Trowbridge recently talked with ...
|Maggie Trevor among latest group of Victory Fund-endorsed candidates 2022-06-25|
- Cook County Board of Commissioners candidate Maggie Trevor is included in the most recent group of political incumbents and candidates with the backing of LGBTQ Victory Fund. LGBTQ Victory Fund endorsed 23 more out LGBTQ candidates, ...
|Preckwinkle unveils preliminary budget forecast for fiscal year 2023 2022-06-25|
-- From a press release - (COOK COUNTY, IL) Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle today released the preliminary forecast for the County's Fiscal Year 2023 showing a projected gap of $18.2 million. This represents the County's smallest budget gap sinc ...