||GLAAD and Mexico Media Meet
This article shared 4205 times since Sun May 1, 2005
A historic meeting between gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender activists and Televisa, Spanish-language media's largest television network, in Mexico City April 12 has set the stage for future collaboration, according to GLAAD People of Color Media Director Mónica Taher.
GLAAD, COMAC ( Comité Orgullo México/Mexican Pride Committee ) and Mexico City journalists met with Televisa executives in an effort to increase the number of fair, accurate and inclusive media representations of the LGBT community.
'About 80% of the programming that Spanish-speaking Latinos watch on Univision [ the leading Spanish-language television network in the U.S. ] is produced and comes from Televisa,' Taher said. 'Thanks to Televisa and Univision's relationship, we will be able to impact and influence the way Spanish-language media reports on and portrays the LGBT community in the United States and the entire Latin American region.'
The Televisa gathering follows in the footsteps of meetings GLAAD conducted with Univision Network President and Chief Operating Officer Ray Rodríguez and other executives in 2004, as well as a media training with Univision staffers.
This article shared 4205 times since Sun May 1, 2005
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Johnny Weir envisions his dream of hosting the Eurovision Song Contest's live stream 2022-05-21|
- Johnny Weir envisions his dream of hosting the Eurovision Song Contest's live stream by Jerry Nunn Out figure skater Johnny Weir is an award-winning Olympian and an LGBTQ+ champion. This gay media spokesman brings past experience ...
|HIV/AIDS activist Rae Lewis-Thornton on her new memoir, 'Unprotected' 2022-05-18|
- Emmy-winning HIV/AIDS activist, author, minister, political organizer, motivational speaker, life coach, jewelry designer and social media figure Rae Clara Lewis-Thornton's recently released book, Unprotected: A Memoir, is already a pre-release ...
|33rd Annual GLAAD Media Awards in New York honor Judith Light, Wilson Cruz and more 2022-05-07|
-- From a press release - New York - Friday, May 6 — GLAAD announced recipients for 16 of this year's 30 categories for the 33rd Annual GLAAD Media Awards on May 6. Additional categories were announced in Los Angeles on April ...
|LGBTQ+ woman appointed as White House press secretary; GLAAD comments 2022-05-05|
- On May 5, President Biden announced Karine Jean-Pierre has been promoted to be assistant to the president and White House press secretary, according to a White House media release. Jean-Pierre will step into the press secretary ...
|TELEVISION Peacock cancels rebooted 'Saved by the Bell' 2022-05-05|
- Only a month after the reboot of the classic NBC comedy Saved by the Bell won Outstanding Comedy Series at the GLAAD Media Awards, Peacock has canceled the show after two seasons, Deadline reported. The second ...
|Chappelle attacked at Netflix event; man charged with misdemeanors [UPDATES] 2022-05-04|
- Social media exploded overnight on May 3 with reports that comedian Dave Chappelle was attacked at his Hollywood Bowl Show, which was a part of the Netflix Is a Joke Festival, according to Deadline. Apparently, Chappelle ...
|Reader owner steps down; paper can now go nonprofit route 2022-04-26|
- Chicago Reader co-owner Len Goodman and three board members stepped down April 26 amid protests from employees, freeing the embattled alternative newspaper to transition to a nonprofit organization, The Chicago Tribune reported. The Reader has been ...
|Ehrlich, Mojica among latest Victory Fund-endorsed candidates 2022-04-26|
- LGBTQ Victory Fund, the only national organization dedicated to electing LGBTQ leaders to public office, endorsed 37 more out LGBTQ candidates, a media release noted. Victory Fund has now endorsed 274 candidates running in the 2022 ...
|Readers invited to take survey on LGBTQ+ community media and organizations 2022-04-19|
- Windy City Times is asking people to take a short LGBTQ+ survey from Community Marketing & Insights, an LGBTQ+ market-research firm. For more than a decade, this survey has provided free data to help non-profits, universities ...
|Chicago Fashion Week taking place April 24-May 1 2022-04-19|
- FashionBar, LLC announced Chicago Fashion Week will take place April 24-May 1 on the third floor of Water Tower Place, 835 N. Michigan Ave. Some of the shows will include "Emerging Students" (April 26), "Trans, Media ...
|Kane County high school 'promposal' criticized as racist 2022-04-19|
- A recent promposal involving students at Kane County's Central High School has been criticized as racist, ABC 7 Chicago reported. A photo of the promposal that's being shared on social media shows two teens holding a ...
|Judith Light to receive GLAAD's Excellence in Media Award 2022-04-12|
- GLAAD announced that multiple Tony- and Emmy-winning actress, producer and activist Judith Light will receive the Excellence in Media Award that will be presented by queer performer and Oscar winner Ariana DeBose at the 33rd Annual ...
|POLITICS Gay media owner to run for Chicago mayor 2022-04-06|
- Dennis J. "DJ" Doran—the openly gay owner of the LGBTQ+-focused Aequalitas Media—is planning a run for Chicago mayor. Doran, a Lake View resident, has acknowledged he is an outsider—but he also believes that designation is an ...
|33rd Annual GLAAD awards take place; award recipients include 'Drag Race,' 'Hacks,' Mj Rodriguez 2022-04-04|
-- From a press release - Los Angeles - Sunday, April 3—GLAAD announced recipients for 16 of this year's 30 categories for the 33rd Annual GLAAD Media Awards. Kacey Musgraves received the Vanguard Award from Ben Platt, and Michaela Jaé Rodriguez received ...
|GLAAD responds to State Dept.'s announcement about availability of gender-neutral passports 2022-03-31|
-- From a press release - Thursday, March 31, 2022 - GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, is responding to the Biden administration's announcement implementing updates to identity ...