WINDY CITY TIMES
||Five Worth Finding: Shrimp House, Public Art, 30 Under 30 Awards
This article shared 1174 times since Wed Jun 6, 2018
The Original Island Shrimp House ( www.originalislandshrimphouse.com/ ): Did you know that National Lobster Day is June 15? Well, one of the places where you can celebrate it is The Original Island Shrimp House in suburban Palos Park. The lobster roll is sinfully good, thanks to having a lot of lobster and relatively little filler. However, this spot offers a whole lot more, including clams, crab, oysters, seafood jambalaya and, of course, shrimp. ( Also, don't miss the desserts: key-lime tart and assorted cheesecakes. )
Desert Harvest Aloe Vera ( www.desertharvest.com/ ): Aloe vera has many uses ( confirmed and reputed ), ranging from treating acne to enhancing skin to relieving sunburns on people and digestive distress in dogs. Desert Harvest products are made from the whole aloe vera leaf ( not just the gel ) and freeze-dried within hours of harvestingwhich maximizes nutrient retention.
The Wall of Respect: Public Art and Black Liberation in 1960s Chicago: The Wall of Respect was a revolutionary mural created by 14 members of the Organization of Black American Culture ( OBAC ) on the South Side of Chicago in 1967. This book ( from Northwestern University Press ) amasses historic essays, poetry and previously unpublished documents from the movement's founders to shed light on the work's creation and evolution.
Revival Social Club ( RevivalSocialClub.com ): This restaurant, just off the Granville stop on Chicago's Red Line, continues to serve delicious brunches, with items like granola French toast, the Revival breakfast sandwich ( a wonderful concoction of scrambled eggs, ham, Swiss, tomato, avocado, cilantro aioli, mixed greens and balsamic, on ciabatta ) and the beyond-famous monkey bread ( cinnamon and ssugar dough served in a cast-iron skillet, with caramel drizzle and vanilla ice cream ). Go aheadindulge.
Windy City Times' 30 Under 30 Awards: Slated to be held June 20 at the Polo Cafe near Guarateed Rate Field ( initially known as Comiskey Park ), this annual event honors 30 of Chicagoland's most accomplished LGBT individuals under 30 years of age.
By Andrew Davis
( Andrew@WindyCityMediaGroup.com and @azygous60610 )
This article shared 1174 times since Wed Jun 6, 2018
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Five Worth Finding: Mango Pickle, play about gay movie stars and more 2022-01-24|
- Mango Pickle: I've written about this Edgewater restaurant beforeand, fortunately, the unique quality of the Indian menu items remains. I was fortunate enough to recently experience the 21 Days of ...
|Five Worth Finding: Gift ideas 2021-12-15|
- With the holidays almost upon us, here are a few items to consider: Samsung items: Some people may just think phones and computers when they think of Samsung, but the company offers so much more. For ...
|WINDY CITY TIMES HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2021 2021-12-03|
- Yes, it’s that time of the year when it’s especially emphasized that it’s better to give than to receive. With that in mind, here are some items you may want to consider getting that relative, friend or significant other. ...
|Five Worth Finding: Harold Washington, volcanic water and more 2021-10-07|
- Mayor Harold Washington's LGBTQ+ legacy: The LGBTQ legacy of late Chicago Mayor Harold Washington (1922-1987) will be discussed as part of a series of events marking his 100th birthday in 2022. This free LGBTQ event will ...
|Five Worth Finding: 'Swan Song,' mental-health event, Halloween items, artwork 2021-09-04|
- Technically, there are six items here, but they're all highly recommended. Swan Song: Throughout his long and storied career, German actor Udo Kier has taken on many roles but probably none as indelible as former hairdresser Pat ...
|Romanticism to Ruin exhibition opening September 24 2021-08-19|
--From a press release - Romanticism to Ruin: Two Lost Works of Sullivan and Wright, Wrightwood 659's fall exhibition, opens Sept. 24. Tickets are now available. The great American architects Louis H. Sullivan and Frank Lloyd Wright had rare gifts for ...
|Five Worth Finding: Gerber/Hart, 'Mr. Soul!,' S'mores desserts and more 2021-08-09|
- Stacks of Laughter: Gerber/Hart Library and Archives, 6500 N. Clark St.. will host a comedy benefit, "Stacks of Laughter," on Saturday, Sept. 18. At 6 p.m., there will be a VIP reception with local historian John ...
|Five Worth Finding: Skydeck, a great Italian dinner and more 2021-05-03|
- Skydeck Chicago at Willis Tower (TheSkydeck.com): The famed Skydeck Chicago, 103 stories up at Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower) has reopened complete with the ledges (that separate people from the city ...
|WINDY CITY TIMES annual Holiday Gift Guide, Part Two
- I'll drink to that Inspired by TV host Giuliana Rancic, Giuliana Prosecco ($14.99; TerlatoWines.com) is smooth, with a fruity scent and deceptively complex taste. It may sound weird to say you settled down with Giuliana after ...
|WINDY CITY TIMES 2019 Holiday Gift Guide Part One of Two 2019-11-27|
- Feel the heat We all know the polar vortex may be revisiting sooner rather than letter, so be ready with Heat Holders socks and gloves (various prices; HeatHolders.com). The socks, specially developed with cashmere-like acrylic yarn, ...
|Five Worth Finding: TeaPotBrew, 'The GayBCs' and more 2019-10-29|
- TeaPotBrew Bakery: Nestled in the South Loop/Prairie District, this bakery (1802 S. Wabash St.; 312-966-6001) features dozens of teas, delicious sandwiches/pastries and the friendliest staffers you'll likely to encounter. Also ...
Five Worth Finding: Pride, Carol's Cookies, Kimpton Gray and more 2019-06-18|
- The Queeriodic Table: A Celebration of LGBTQ+ Culture: Harriet Dyer's book (a take on the periodic table, of course) contains a glossary on current lingo and definitions; a condensed timeline of queer events from 1000 B.C.; ...
|Five Worth Finding: Emotional book, Studio Three and more 2019-03-03|
- The Truth About Aaron: This book about the late football star/convicted murdered Aaron Hernandez, written by brother Jonathan, is a warts-and-all account of the sometimes brutal childhood Aaron had. Among ...
|Five Worth Finding, Beverages, Auto Show and more 2019-02-04|
- Sodastream Fizzi One Touch (Sodastream.com): This eco-friendly sparking-soda maker has been getting tons of positive reviewsand there are several reasons for this. It's absolutely easy to use, there's top-notch customer ...
|Five Worth Finding: Last-minute gifts 2018-12-19|
- tinyB Chocolate (https://www.tinybchocolate.com/): Sinful bite-sized chocolateswhich are great stocking-stuffersare the hallmark of this company. Among the cascade of flavors are dark chocolate and sprinkles; Brazilian coffee ...