WINDY CITY TIMES
||Five Worth Finding: Harold Washington, volcanic water and more
This article shared 532 times since Thu Oct 7, 2021
Mayor Harold Washington's LGBTQ+ legacy: The LGBTQ legacy of late Chicago Mayor Harold Washington (1922-1987) will be discussed as part of a series of events marking his 100th birthday in 2022. This free LGBTQ event will be Wed., Oct. 13, 6-8 p.m. at the Center on Halsted, 3656 N. Halsted St. Some of the speakers taking part will include LGBTQ+-rights advocate Rick Garcia, activist/Sidetrack co-owner Art Johnston, Windy City Times co-founder/Chicago Reader co-publisher Tracy Baim, Pride Action Tank Executive Director Kim Hunt and Illinois state Sen. Mike Simmons.
Waiakea Hawaiian Volcanic Water: I'm sure you know that bottled water can differ in quality. One of the best (and most refreshing) I've had is Waiakea Hawaiian Volcanic Water. Originating atop the volcano as rain and snowmelt, the water slowly filters through thousands of feet of porous, volcanic rockre-emerging at the surface as crisp, naturally alkaline water. And, to top it off, it's sustainably packaged: Some of the bottles are made of refillable aluminum, and the large box it comes in can be easily upcycled.
The Lighthouse Lounge: Did you know that Immersive Van Gogh's lounge, previously only accessible by ticketholders, will now open for the public to enjoy? The Lighthouse Lounge, a bar at the Germania Club building (at 108 W. Germania Pl.), will be open starting Friday, Oct. 15, 7-11 p.m.; guests will enjoy live performances by local jazz musicians, passed hors d'oeuvres and a free glass of prosecco at this event. Weekly events are also coming soon, with the first being a wine tasting event Tuesday, Oct. 26.
Neon and Light Museum: It's lit! Running through the end of the month at 325 W. Huron St. (where the restaurant Nacional 27 used to be), the pop-up museum will feature 60 practically hypnotic neon- and light-based works by artists such as Monika Wulfers, John E. Bannon, Industry of the Ordinary and even John Lennon (yes, THAT John Lennon). Visit neonandlightmuseum.com/ for more info and tickets.
The return of Nat "King" Cole: Apparently, it's not too early for the holidays. Capitol Records, in conjunction with King Cole Partners, LLC, will release A Sentimental Christmas with Nat "King" Cole and Friends: Cole Classics Reimagined on Friday, Oct. 29. The album's lead single"The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire)," a virtual duet with 12x Grammy winner John Legendis currently available. There are also duets with Kristin Chenoweth, Calum Scott, Johnny Mathis and Gloria Estefan. Pre-ordering is available at https://natkingcole.lnk.to/ChristmasPreOrderPR.
This article shared 532 times since Thu Oct 7, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Five Worth Finding: 'Swan Song,' mental-health event, Halloween items, artwork 2021-09-04|
- Technically, there are six items here, but they're all highly recommended. —Swan Song: Throughout his long and storied career, German actor Udo Kier has taken on many roles—but probably none as indelible as former hairdresser Pat ...
|Romanticism to Ruin exhibition opening September 24 2021-08-19|
--From a press release - Romanticism to Ruin: Two Lost Works of Sullivan and Wright, Wrightwood 659's fall exhibition, opens Sept. 24. Tickets are now available. The great American architects Louis H. Sullivan and Frank Lloyd Wright had rare gifts for ...
|Five Worth Finding: Gerber/Hart, 'Mr. Soul!,' S'mores desserts and more 2021-08-09|
- —Stacks of Laughter: Gerber/Hart Library and Archives, 6500 N. Clark St.. will host a comedy benefit, "Stacks of Laughter," on Saturday, Sept. 18. At 6 p.m., there will be a VIP reception with local historian John ...
|Five Worth Finding: Skydeck, a great Italian dinner and more 2021-05-03|
- —Skydeck Chicago at Willis Tower (TheSkydeck.com): The famed Skydeck Chicago, 103 stories up at Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower) has reopened—complete with the ledges (that separate people from the city ...
|WINDY CITY TIMES annual Holiday Gift Guide, Part Two
- I'll drink to that Inspired by TV host Giuliana Rancic, Giuliana Prosecco ($14.99; TerlatoWines.com) is smooth, with a fruity scent and deceptively complex taste. It may sound weird to say you settled down with Giuliana after ...
|WINDY CITY TIMES 2019 Holiday Gift Guide Part One of Two 2019-11-27|
- Feel the heat We all know the polar vortex may be revisiting sooner rather than letter, so be ready with Heat Holders socks and gloves (various prices; HeatHolders.com). The socks, specially developed with cashmere-like acrylic yarn, ...
|Five Worth Finding: TeaPotBrew, 'The GayBCs' and more 2019-10-29|
- TeaPotBrew Bakery: Nestled in the South Loop/Prairie District, this bakery (1802 S. Wabash St.; 312-966-6001) features dozens of teas, delicious sandwiches/pastries and the friendliest staffers you'll likely to encounter. Also ...
Five Worth Finding: Pride, Carol's Cookies, Kimpton Gray and more 2019-06-18|
- The Queeriodic Table: A Celebration of LGBTQ+ Culture: Harriet Dyer's book (a take on the periodic table, of course) contains a glossary on current lingo and definitions; a condensed timeline of queer events from 1000 B.C.; ...
|Five Worth Finding: Emotional book, Studio Three and more 2019-03-03|
- The Truth About Aaron: This book about the late football star/convicted murdered Aaron Hernandez, written by brother Jonathan, is a warts-and-all account of the sometimes brutal childhood Aaron had. Among ...
|Five Worth Finding, Beverages, Auto Show and more 2019-02-04|
- Sodastream Fizzi One Touch (Sodastream.com): This eco-friendly sparking-soda maker has been getting tons of positive reviewsand there are several reasons for this. It's absolutely easy to use, there's top-notch customer ...
|Five Worth Finding: Last-minute gifts 2018-12-19|
- tinyB Chocolate (https://www.tinybchocolate.com/): Sinful bite-sized chocolateswhich are great stocking-stuffersare the hallmark of this company. Among the cascade of flavors are dark chocolate and sprinkles; Brazilian coffee ...
|'One of a Kind Holiday Show' through Dec. 9 2018-12-07|
- Through Dec. 9, the One of a Kind Holiday Show is returning to the seventh floor of The Mart, 222 W. Merchandise Mart Plaza. More than 600 independent artists from across North America and beyond are ...
|WINDY CITY TIMES HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2018 Part two 2018-12-05|
- Ross examination Diana Ross puts her indelible spin on holiday classics such as "The Christmas Song," "Winter Wonderland" and the title song on the CD Wonderful Christmastimea collection of holiday recordings from Diana Ross that were ...
|WINDY CITY TIMES 2018 HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2018-11-28|
- Rebel yell As many know, the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots is next year, and this cool "Rebel" T-shirtwhich out Oscar-winning screenwriter Dustin Lance Black designedmarks the occasion in ...
|Five Worth Finding: Haunting film, Skydeck and more 2018-11-27|
- What Haunts Us: This Emmy-nominated documentarywhich examines why many boys who graduated from the Porter-Gaud School in Charleston, South Carolina, committed suicide after becoming adultswill haunt you. Filmmaker Paige Goldberg ...