WINDY CITY TIMES
Five Worth Finding: Pride, Carol's Cookies, Kimpton Gray and more
This article shared 3039 times since Tue Jun 18, 2019
The Queeriodic Table: A Celebration of LGBTQ+ Culture: Harriet Dyer's book ( a take on the periodic table, of course ) contains a glossary on current lingo and definitions; a condensed timeline of queer events from 1000 B.C.; stories of icons like Oscar Wilde, Janet Mock, Christine Jorgensen, George Michael, Marsha P. Johnson and Sylvester; and much more.
Carol's Cookies ( carolscookies.com/ ): If you haven't tried out handmade cookies from this Northbrook-based bakery, please do. The cookies ( available at spots like L'Appetito, Whole Foods and Ghirardelli Chocolate Shops ) are huge, chewy and just plain deliciousand even come with care instructions.
The Kimpton Gray's Pride initiative: The Kimpton Gray Hotel Chicago, 122 W. Monroe St., and premium menswear company The Tie Bar is supporting equality for all types of love this June by giving back in style. Tapping into its existing partnership with The Tie Bar, The Gray will offer ( for the first time ) an exclusively designed rainbow lapel flower pin, available for purchase only at the hotel during Pride Month. Proceeds benefit Center on Halsted.
Uncommon Ground: Uncommon Ground ( both locations ) has many draws, including guest musicians, a rooftop farm ( at the Devon site ) and its organic, vegan brewery, Greenstar Brewing. However, the food is most impressiveranging from the mac 'n cheese ( with smoked gouda and options ) to the sweet-potato fries ( with goat-cheese fondue ). Both locations deserve to be patronized more.
Pride: Celebrate who you are! And, happily, there will be tons of people marking Pride and the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots at many events in Chicago and the suburbs. In the city, it all culminates with the Pride Parade on Sunday, June 30and Mayor Lori Lightfoot will be the grand marshal.
By Andrew Davis
( Andrew@WindyCityMediaGroup.com and @azygous60610 )
This article shared 3039 times since Tue Jun 18, 2019
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Five Worth Finding: Mango Pickle, play about gay movie stars and more 2022-01-24|
- Mango Pickle: I've written about this Edgewater restaurant beforeand, fortunately, the unique quality of the Indian menu items remains. I was fortunate enough to recently experience the 21 Days of ...
|Five Worth Finding: Gift ideas 2021-12-15|
- With the holidays almost upon us, here are a few items to consider: Samsung items: Some people may just think phones and computers when they think of Samsung, but the company offers so much more. For ...
|WINDY CITY TIMES HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2021 2021-12-03|
- Yes, it’s that time of the year when it’s especially emphasized that it’s better to give than to receive. With that in mind, here are some items you may want to consider getting that relative, friend or significant other. ...
|Five Worth Finding: Harold Washington, volcanic water and more 2021-10-07|
- Mayor Harold Washington's LGBTQ+ legacy: The LGBTQ legacy of late Chicago Mayor Harold Washington (1922-1987) will be discussed as part of a series of events marking his 100th birthday in 2022. This free LGBTQ event will ...
|Five Worth Finding: 'Swan Song,' mental-health event, Halloween items, artwork 2021-09-04|
- Technically, there are six items here, but they're all highly recommended. Swan Song: Throughout his long and storied career, German actor Udo Kier has taken on many roles but probably none as indelible as former hairdresser Pat ...
|Romanticism to Ruin exhibition opening September 24 2021-08-19|
--From a press release - Romanticism to Ruin: Two Lost Works of Sullivan and Wright, Wrightwood 659's fall exhibition, opens Sept. 24. Tickets are now available. The great American architects Louis H. Sullivan and Frank Lloyd Wright had rare gifts for ...
|Five Worth Finding: Gerber/Hart, 'Mr. Soul!,' S'mores desserts and more 2021-08-09|
- Stacks of Laughter: Gerber/Hart Library and Archives, 6500 N. Clark St.. will host a comedy benefit, "Stacks of Laughter," on Saturday, Sept. 18. At 6 p.m., there will be a VIP reception with local historian John ...
|Five Worth Finding: Skydeck, a great Italian dinner and more 2021-05-03|
- Skydeck Chicago at Willis Tower (TheSkydeck.com): The famed Skydeck Chicago, 103 stories up at Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower) has reopened complete with the ledges (that separate people from the city ...
|WINDY CITY TIMES annual Holiday Gift Guide, Part Two
- I'll drink to that Inspired by TV host Giuliana Rancic, Giuliana Prosecco ($14.99; TerlatoWines.com) is smooth, with a fruity scent and deceptively complex taste. It may sound weird to say you settled down with Giuliana after ...
|WINDY CITY TIMES 2019 Holiday Gift Guide Part One of Two 2019-11-27|
- Feel the heat We all know the polar vortex may be revisiting sooner rather than letter, so be ready with Heat Holders socks and gloves (various prices; HeatHolders.com). The socks, specially developed with cashmere-like acrylic yarn, ...
|Five Worth Finding: TeaPotBrew, 'The GayBCs' and more 2019-10-29|
- TeaPotBrew Bakery: Nestled in the South Loop/Prairie District, this bakery (1802 S. Wabash St.; 312-966-6001) features dozens of teas, delicious sandwiches/pastries and the friendliest staffers you'll likely to encounter. Also ...
|Five Worth Finding: Emotional book, Studio Three and more 2019-03-03|
- The Truth About Aaron: This book about the late football star/convicted murdered Aaron Hernandez, written by brother Jonathan, is a warts-and-all account of the sometimes brutal childhood Aaron had. Among ...
|Five Worth Finding, Beverages, Auto Show and more 2019-02-04|
- Sodastream Fizzi One Touch (Sodastream.com): This eco-friendly sparking-soda maker has been getting tons of positive reviewsand there are several reasons for this. It's absolutely easy to use, there's top-notch customer ...
|Five Worth Finding: Last-minute gifts 2018-12-19|
- tinyB Chocolate (https://www.tinybchocolate.com/): Sinful bite-sized chocolateswhich are great stocking-stuffersare the hallmark of this company. Among the cascade of flavors are dark chocolate and sprinkles; Brazilian coffee ...
|'One of a Kind Holiday Show' through Dec. 9 2018-12-07|
- Through Dec. 9, the One of a Kind Holiday Show is returning to the seventh floor of The Mart, 222 W. Merchandise Mart Plaza. More than 600 independent artists from across North America and beyond are ...