WINDY CITY TIMES
||SAVOR Untitled Supper Club, dinner and a show
DISH Dining Guide
by Andrew Davis, Windy City Times
This article shared 499 times since Sun Nov 8, 2020
The night before COVID-19 restrictions recently tightened on restaurants and bars (again), a friend and I checked out Untitled Supper Club (111 W. Kinzie St.; UntitledSupperClub.com)which offered not just a five-course meal but entertainment. (It had just reopened Oct. 23.)
And entertaining this spot was. (BTW, all the safety protocols were in place, including physical distancing, QR-code menus, staff with masks and more.) Singers Angela Martin and Malone (the latter named Best Male Vocalist at the 38th Annual Chicago Music Awards) as well as a kick-ass band covered songs by everyone from Chaka Khan and Maroon 5and every note was on point. However, they weren't the only ones who entertained, as burlesque dancer Ms. B La Rose put on performances that were athletic, sultry and even comedic.
But this is a food column and I'd love to say that the prix-fixe menu matched the band and dancer in terms of satisfactionbut the meal didn't (although the service did).
Things started promisingly with arancini (rice balls) that were not only beautifully plated but that were delicious, with just the right consistency. However, other dishes were not up to snuff: Even though my friend and I had different items for our third course, both lacked seasoning and were, consequently, bland. (Actually, this was true of my pumpkin-sage ravioli and the fettuccineand I'm one of the most salt-averse people you'll meet.) Thankfully, things ended on the right note, with a practically addictive mango cheesecake.
I sincerely hope that Untitled survives these latest restrictions and reopens. You'll surely be entertainedand my fingers are crossed that the cuisine will be as wonderfully memorable as those singers' pipes.
This article shared 499 times since Sun Nov 8, 2020
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Five Worth Finding: Restaurants, OUT100, children's book, face mask 2020-11-19|
- —Perry's Steakhouse & Grille (PerrysSteakhouse.com): This suburban spot (with two restaurants in Oak Brook and Schaumburg) is well-known for its delicious cuts of meat, sumptuous sides and hand-crafted cocktails. It's ...
|57th Street Art Fair to return next June 2020-11-10|
- The 74th annual 57th Street Art Fair is slated to return June 5-6, 2021. The free event is the Midwest's oldest juried art fair, featuring nearly 200 artists, live music, kids' activities and a food court. ...
|SAVOR Fairgrounds Coffee & Tea 2020-10-26|
- With so many coffeehouses in Chicago, some of them have come up with compelling and/or unique ways to keep or lure patrons. Count Fairgrounds Coffee & Tea (multiple locations; Fairgrounds.cafe) as one of those coffeehouses. Sure, ...
|Andersonville Farmers Market extended through November
- The Andersonville Farmers Market (AFM) will remain open four additional weeks—at a new day and time. The extension will take place Nov. 1, 8, 15 and 22, 1:30-3:30 p.m. at the shared street space on Catalpa ...
|SAVOR Fulton Market Kitchen 2020-10-21|
- Over the years, Fulton Market Kitchen (311 N. Sangamon St.; FultonMarketKitchen.com)which is, naturally, in the Fulton Market Districthas intrigued and even dazzled patrons, thanks to the combination of inviting food ...
|SAVOR The Outpost Mexican Eatery; Mercadito 2020-09-29|
DISH Dining Guide - For the last print issue of Windy City Times, there are two restaurants in the spotlightand they both happen to be Mexican eateries. The Outpost Mexican Eatery The Outpost Mexican Eatery (520 W. Harrison St.; TheOutpostMexicanEatery.com) ...
|Artist-led "Retreat" to provide platform for creatives in food, music, art 2020-09-27|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Rebuild Foundation, the arts, education and cultural development organization founded by artist Theaster Gates, and Dorchester Industries today announced the opening of "RETREAT," an artist-led activation aimed at ...
|Five Worth Finding: Tom of Finland, help for renters, 'Batwoman' 2020-09-22|
- —Rentervention (https://lcbh.org/get-legal-help/rentervention): This webpage begins with a daunting statistic: Each year, more than 20,000 people are evicted from their homes in Chicago. Rentervention—a part of the ...
|Chicago releases outdoor dining guidelines for fall, winter
- Keeping the COVID-19 pandemic in mind, the City of Chicago released guidelines for safe outdoor dining this fall and winter. All outdoor spaces must have a sidewalk cafe permit, outdoor patio license or an expanded outdoor ...
|SAVOR Froth: A coffee lover's delight 2020-09-21|
DISH Dining Guide - It might take something special to lure people to Froth (1515 W. Monroe St.; Froth.cafe). Fortunately, Froth has more than one attractionespecially for those who indulge in coffee (which seems ...
|Care for Real names new executive director 2020-09-10|
- Care for Realone of the largest food pantries in the Chicago areahas named Gregory D. Gross as its new executive director. Gross is moving to Care for Real from The Night Ministry, where he most recently ...
|SAVOR: PB&J 2020-09-09|
DISH Dining Guide - Who didn't love a good peanut butter-and-jelly sandwich while growing up (unless you had a peanut allergy)? Well, the folks at PB&J (205 N. Peoria St.; PBJWestLoop.com) offer this popular item although, of course ...
|Quigley, Demings introduce blood-donation bias measure
- U.S. Reps. Mike Quigley (IL-05), who serves as Vice Chair of the LGBT Equality Caucus, and Val Demings (FL-10) introduced the Science in Blood Donation Act of 2020, which would require the Food and Drug Administration ...
|FireLake Grill House & Cocktail Bar 2020-09-03|
- When a concept is reinvented at the same spot, it can be a risky undertaking. The Midwest-focused FireLake Grill House & Cocktail Bar (221 N. Columbus Dr.; FireLakeChicago.com) is housed in the same spot, in the ...
|SAVOR Travelle To Go 2020-09-01|
- These days, when convenience seems paramount, Travelle at The Langham (330 N. Wabash Ave.; TravelleChicago.com) offers something that it hopes will draw lots of people: Travelle To Go. And this concept should. Located around the corner ...