||Passages: Anthony Hollins
by Andrew Davis
This article shared 4716 times since Tue Jan 1, 2008
Anthony Hollins, a Hazel Crest resident who did everything from starting the New Life Performance Company ( a dance troupe for young people ) to studying pastry-making to helping lead the HIV/AIDS support ministry at Trinity United Church of Christ, passed away Nov. 25 in Stroger Hospital, the Chicago Tribune reported. He was 42.
A lifelong resident of the Chicagoland area, Hollins was raised in Chicago's South Side. The family later moved to Matteson; in high school, he was active in the theater department.
At Trinity, 400 W. 95th, Hollinswho received a master of divinity degree from Chicago Theological Seminary last yearwas going to be an ordained minister. He also led a dance ministry at the church, as well as started New Life.
Ronald Wadley, an LGBT-rights activist and secretary of the Same Gender Loving Ministry at Trintity, e-mailed Windy City Times that "Anthony was first and foremost a Christian and an activist. While he was also a dancer, many of us will remember his graceful nature through which hearts were touched; he was a voice for change."
Wadley added that " [ i ] t is also important for all of us to know that Anthony accepted his call into ministry and allowed God to use him to make and set forth a path and lay a foundation for us to continue to make a difference in the lives of those that feel left out or displaced. He spoke loudly about HIV/AIDS within the African-American community. It is with sadness that I think of his passing but I rejoice for I know that he is currently in heaven dancing up a storm.
"It is a very rare occasion that someone is willing to be vocal in a Christian setting about their sexuality and HIV/AIDS in the African-American community. He was truly doing Jesus' work. He touched the lives of so many youth through his dance instruction and leadership. Through his many gifts, talents and ability to stand tall in all that God created him to be none of us who knew and met him will be the same nor will we forget him. When you met Anthony, you walked away saying 'God is up to something.'"
The Reverend Dr. Jeremiah A. Wright, Jr., pastor of Trinity, e-mailed Windy City Times from Germany that "Anthony Hollins was a gifted dancer a phenomenal choreographer, a seminary graduate and a surrogate father for dozens of the young people in our church. He served as the Chairperson for our congregation's HIV/AIDS Ministry and he made HIV awareness come alive in the church as no chairperson before or after him. He will be missed tremendously!"
Hollins is surived by his father, Arthur, and mother, Bertha; three brothers, Andrel, Arthur, Jr., and Aaron; and two sisters, Sasha and Kasie. Services took place at Trinity on Dec. 1..
This article shared 4716 times since Tue Jan 1, 2008
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|WORLD Court rulings, trans kids' books, activist dies, Naomi Campbell 2021-03-07|
- A Chinese court upheld a ruling that a textbook description of homosexuality as "a psychological disorder" was not a factual error but merely an "academic view," according to the South China Morning Post. The Chinese LGBT ...
|PASSAGES Maya Kali Evans dies at 53 2021-02-19|
- Maya Kali Evans (formerly Curtis O. Love)—a tattoo artist and caregiver who resided in Newark, Illinois, and who previously lived in Chicago and Philadelphia—passed away peacefully Feb. 18, 2021, at home in Newark. She was 53. ...
|PASSAGES Dr. Gary B. Beringer, epidemiologist, dies at 70 2021-02-17|
- Epidemiologist Gary B. Beringer, Dr. P.H., age 70, passed away suddenly Wednesday, Jan. 27 at his home in Chicago, IL. Gary, an only child, is survived by his wife, Nancy M. Abbate, who worked closely with ...
|Queer musician Ari Gold dies at 47
- New York City-based dance artist Ari Gold has died at age 47 after a long battle with cancer, according to out.com. Gold—who was also known as Sir Ari and GoldNation— released seven albums as a part ...
|PASSAGES Robert Thomas Cichocki, J.D. dies at 70 2021-02-11|
- Robert Thomas Cichocki, J.D., passed away peacefully at home in Chicago's Lake View neighborhood on Feb. 5. He was 70. After earning his B.A. from Wayne State University and his J.D. from The John Marshall Law ...
|PASSAGES Gordon Keith Richardson 2021-02-08|
- Gordon Keith Richardson of Washington, D.C., passed away on Feb. 4, 2021, at the age of 60 from complications of COVID-19. Keith was born in Leadville, CO, and raised primarily in St. Charles, Missouri. He graduated ...
|Former CTU President Karen Lewis dies at 67
- Former Chicago Teachers Union (CTU) President Karen Lewis has died at age 67, The Chicago Tribune reported. She led a seven-day strike in 2012 (the first in a quarter-century) and was a one-time mayoral hopeful who ...
PASSAGES Elzie Bates
- Elzie Bates was born at home April 6, 1931, in McComb, Mississippi. His birth was never officially recorded so for most of his adult life, his many friends celebrated his birthday on the day of Elzie's ...
|PASSAGES Carmen Vazquez, social justice activist 2021-01-28|
--From press releases - The National LGBTQ Task Force: The National LGBTQ Task Force is deeply saddened to announce the death of Carmen Vàzquez, long-time LGBTQ+ and social justice activist. Carmen died on Jan. 27, 2021 of COVID related complications. ...
|Pioneering AIDS researcher Dr. Joseph Sonnabend dead at 88 2021-01-24|
--From a media release by HIVPlusMagazine - Pioneering AIDS researcher and clinician Joseph Sonnabend, 88, died Jan. 24, 2021 at the Wellington Hospital in London, after suffering a heart attack on Jan.3, 2021. Born in Johannesburg, South Africa, to a physician mother and ...
|Broadcasting legend Larry King dies at 87
- Broadcasting icon Larry King has died at age 87, CNN.com reported. King died at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, Ora Media, the studio and network he co-founded, tweeted. No cause of death was given, but ...
|PASSAGES Kevin McCarthy 2021-01-19|
- Kevin Creedon McCarthy, of Chicago's Andersonville neighborhood, passed away after a brief illness on Jan. 11. He was 53. Raised in Arlington Heights, Kevin studied communications at the University of Missouri before embarking on a long ...
|PASSAGES George H. Gibson 2021-01-06|
- George Horner Gibson died at his home in Chicago on Jan. 3, 2021. He was 88. Gibson was born in Baltimore, Maryland, and grew up in Charlotte, North Carolina. He graduated from Furman University with bachelor's ...
|PASSAGES Chicago activist Benny Montgomery dies
- Benny M. Montgomery Jr.—a longtime Chicago-based LGBTQ-rights activist who had worked as a constituent services administrator for U.S. Rep. Danny Davis and former Congresswoman Cardiss Collins, among other politicians—passed away ...
|Chicago trans woman Eshay Key, 25, dies in Christmas shooting 2020-12-28|
Column by Sue Kerr - Just a week after writing about the ugly shooting death of a 19-year-old Black gender nonconforming young adult while they were at a Christmas party, I was hopeful there would be no more deaths to cover ...