WINDY CITY TIMES
|More information emerges about death on Atlantis gay cruise
By Lu Calzada
This article shared 7162 times since Sun Feb 4, 2024
Further details have emerged following the death of a Chicago man on a Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas Atlantis cruise targeted towards gay men. Following a Reddit post by the man's sister which has since been deleted seeking answers about her brother's death, the story has captured the attention of the LGBTQ+ community.
The Washington Blade reported Atlantis CEO Rich Campbell confirmed the man was Jonathan Mindrum, 36, and said there weren't any suspicious circumstances surrounding his death. The outlet said reports indicate he died around 3 a.m. onboard the ship Jan. 24, yet the details of the cause are still unknown.
His sister, Jennifer, took to Reddit Jan. 26 claiming she and her family had "received hardly any information from the cruise line" regarding the incident and asked for anyone who was there or had information to contact her. She received a public reply from someone who said they believed they saw him when he died he said the music briefly stopped and a "Code Alpha" was called, indicating a life-threatening medical emergency, and Mindrum was seen unresponsive in a chair overlooking the dance floor. The replier said Mindrum was then taken away by a care team to the medical center, and there was no more information he could verify.
Multiple other Redditors replied to Jennifer's comments saying they were on the cruise, including one who said he had noticed "a ton of code alpha's" on this particular trip and "there were about four code alpha's within an hour" the night Mindrum died. A user who claimed to be on this cruise said the "medical emergencies were rampant after nightfall."
Jonathan's father, Craig Mindrum, also gave a statement to the Blade, saying his son was in the process of getting his master's in data science from Northwestern University. He said he and his family also have "important questions about the circumstances of his death and emergency services provided to him."
The Washington Blade coverage is at tinyurl.com/56ua6u3n .
This article shared 7162 times since Sun Feb 4, 2024
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE
|Oklahoma non-binary student dies after being assaulted 2024-02-21
- Officials acknowledged there are unresolved questions about a 16-year-old non-binary Oklahoma student who died one day after a fight in a high school bathroom, NBC News noted. Chuck Hoskin Jr., principal chief of the Cherokee Nation, ...
|GLAAD remembers Cecilia Gentili, transgender Latina, actress, activist, health care activist, journalist 2024-02-06
--From a press release - (New York, NY - February 6, 2024) GLAAD, the world's largest LGBTQ media advocacy organization, is responding to the death of transgender actress and advocate Cecilia Gentili and elevating voices of transgender and political leaders honoring ...
|PASSAGES Imperial Court's Scott Archer remembered as selfless, devoted 2024-02-04
By Alec Karam - As the old saying goes, we all have an angel on one shoulder, and a devil on the other. Well, Scott Archer was all angel, his best friend Herman Coen believes. "Everybody wanted to talk to Scott, because Scott was Scott," ...
|Broadway star Chita Rivera dies at 91 2024-01-30
- Chita Riveraa Broadway legend with more than seven decades of creditshas died at age 91 after a short illness, People Magazine reported. "It is with immense personal sorrow that I announce the death of the beloved ...
|PASSSAGES Chef Michael Thomas Zito 2024-01-02
- Chef Michael Thomas Zito, 55, ("Chef Bear Italia" and "Big Chef") passed away December 12, 2023, unexpectedly at home in Chicago's Belmont Gardens neighborhood. Born in Kentucky to Pentecostal missionaries from New York, Mike began cooking ...
|Gay political trailblazer Ken Sherrill passes away at age 81 2023-12-30
- Kenneth Sherrilla pioneering political scientist who was also the first out gay elected official in New York historydied in early December at age 81 from surgical complications, Gay City News reported. He is survived by his ...
|PASSAGES Paris Johnson 2023-12-29
- Paris Johnson, 29, of Chicago's West Loop neighborhood, passed away unexpectedly Nov. 28. He would have celebrated his 30th birthday Dec. 20. Born into a military family in Sacramento, California, Paris moved often in his youth, ...
|PASSAGES Frankie Franklin-Foxx 2023-12-18
- Frankie Franklin-Foxx (born Waverlynn Franklin), a resident of Chicago's North Side, passed away peacefully Dec. 13 at St. Francis Hospital in Evanston. She was 68. Born at Cook County Hospital, Frankie graduated from South Shore High ...
|PASSAGES Former Republican Illinois legislator Susan Catania remembered for supporting gay rights 2023-12-14
- Advocates remember former Illinois legislator Susan Catania as an active ally in the fight for LGBTQ+ rights. Susan died Nov. 27 after a fire broke out in her home in Wisconsin, according to a tribute written ...
|'She was here...and she is here': Street to be renamed after Elise Malary 2023-11-30
By Alec Karam - The memory of the late activist Elise Malary will soon become a permanent part of Andersonville's Catalpa Avenue. The renamed "Elise Malary Way" will encompass the Catalpa Plaza area, a planned pedestrian plaza between Ashland Avenue ...
|PASSAGES Todd Vitale 2023-11-28
- Todd Louis Vitale, 60, a professional vocalist and Realtor who lived in Chicago's Sheridan Park neighborhood, passed away peacefully Nov. 15, after a long battle with ALS-Lou Gehrig's disease. Born in East St. Louis, Illinois, Todd ...
|Chicagoans gather to mark the 2023 Trans Day of Remembrance 2023-11-20
- Brave Space Alliance, Chicago Therapy Collective and Life is Work joined forces to celebrate Trans Day of Remembrance under the banner New Era Together Nov. 19 at Venue West, 221 N. Paulina St., on the West ...
|PASSAGES: Mexico's first out nonbinary magistrate Jesus Ociel Baena Saucedo 2023-11-19
- On Nov. 13, Mexico's first out nonbinary magistrate and LGBTQ+ activist Jesus Ociel Baena Saucedo was found dead in their state of Aguascalientes home alongside their partner Dorian Herrera. They were 38. According to state prosecutor ...
|PASSAGES Ashley Marie McClure-Wolfson 2023-11-17
- Ashley Marie McClure-Wolfson, "Ash," pharmacist, BCACP, AAHIVP, passed away suddenly Nov. 11. She was 35 and a resident of the Andersonville neighborhood. Born in Burnsville, Minnesota, Ashley graduated from Burnsville High School and completed a six-year ...
|PASSAGES Best-selling author, labor lawyer, feminist, LGBTQ ally Linda Hirshman 2023-11-17
- Best-selling author, renowned pro-union labor lawyer, Brandeis University professor, feminist and LGBTQ ally Linda Hirshman died Oct. 31 in Burlington, Vermont of cancer. She was 79. Hirshman was born April 26, 1944, in Cleveland where she ...