WINDY CITY TIMES
||PERFORMER OF THE WEEK Ryan Royale
by Tony Peregrin
This article shared 1713 times since Wed Dec 11, 2019
BEHIND THE NAME "The name Royale comes from my fascination with royalty and the rise and fall of fame. I was a young art student when I saw Prince Poppycock perform on America's Got Talent, and when I started drag, I knew I wanted my name to reflect royalty and the lush life, which my drag is not. The name Ryan just came afterwords because it just rolls off the tongue."
MY MUSE "My main muse is most definitely Lady Gagashe has this pop-rocker edge that I just love. It's a beautiful mix between hard and soft, edge, rock and glamour. I am also inspired by Alexander McQueen, Gareth Pugh, Jeremy Scott, Marco Marco, Versace and Mugler, to name a few."
MOST PEOPLE DON'T KNOW THAT I ... "… have a Bacherlor's degree in fashion design and that I am curently working towards a Master's in social work. I also don't think most people know that besides drag, I also have my own fashion business: Ryan Royale Designs."
WHEN I NEED A PICK-ME-UP, I … "... either go fabric shopping or lock myself away to create. It's a great way to just get inspired and create something beautiful and unique. Getting lost in the whole process of creating a garment is relaxing to me, and helps me reset."
GO-TO NUMBER TO SLAY A CROWD "I have been performing my Lady Gaga at the Super Bowl mix, because it's her greatest hits and everyone will know at least one song in that mix. Plus, it's hilarious to hear an entire audience scream RA-RA-RA-AH-AH during Bad Romance."
WHERE CAN WE CATCH YOU "You can catch me every Friday night at Lips Chicago for our Glitz and Glam show. You can also catch me death-dropping at different bars in Boystown, Andersonville and Rogers Park."
SOCIAL MEDIA B>
This article shared 1713 times since Wed Dec 11, 2019
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|VIEWS Reporting on queers of color needs to investigate absence as much as presence 2021-11-19|
- Earlier this month, I pitched a Windy City Times article that sought to explore how role playing games (RPGs), such as Dungeons & Dragons, enable queer people of color (QPOC) to explore their gender and sexuality ...
|LGBT History Month: '40s and '50s instant photography gave LGBT people 'Safe/Haven' 2021-10-15|
- Two men dressed in drag for a tea party, and two women cuddled up at the beach. Today these might be benign photographs but, in the early 1950s, they were memories shuttered away from public view. ...
|Kit Kat Lounge hosting Kamayan feast Oct. 24 2021-10-15|
- Kit Kat Lounge & Supper Club, 3700 N. Halsted St., in honor of Filipino American History Month, will host a special "diva-infused" Kamayan feast featuring Chef Jordan Andino on Sunday, Oct. 24. Andino is the creative ...
|'Tapping into Ca$h' : CaSera Heining lives double life as DJ Ca$h Era and radio producer 2021-10-14|
- Minutes before DJ Ca$h Era hosted Lollapalooza's first drag show, the Black queer woman behind the stage name was pacing nervously behind the scenes and listening to a drag queen animatedly remind her they were "making ...
|DRAG Utica Queen finds a home in Chicago 2021-10-12|
- Ethan Mundt rose to fame as Utica Queen in season 13 of the Emmy-winning show RuPaul's Drag Race. Ultimately placing sixth in the competition, this young, gay 25-year-old showed creativity and personality. Mundt's latest project, Homecoming ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Drag Race' winners, Playboy, punk band, The Dinah, Daniel Craig 2021-10-10|
Video below - As part of VH1's #LGBTQHerstoryMonth project, five winners from the RuPaul's Drag Race winner's circle—season one's BeBe Zahara Benet, All Stars 4 winner Monet X Change, season 11 winner Yvie Oddly, season 12 victor Jaida Essence ...
|Urban Village Church hosting drag worship service, Pride prom Oct. 10 2021-10-04|
- On Sunday, Oct. 10, Urban Village Church (UVC) will host a drag worship service at its Wicker Park site, 1012 N. Noble St. Worship begins at 10:30 a.m. (CST) with performances from local drag artists, including ...
|TELEVISION 'Drag Race,' 'Queer Eye,' 'Pose' among Creative Emmy winners 2021-09-13|
- Three 2021 Creative Arts Emmy Awards ceremonies took place Sept. 11-12—and Netflix's The Queen's Gambit led the way with nine wins going into next weekend's Primetime Emmys, Deadline reported. LGBTQ+ individuals and shows also scored se ...
|'Close-Up with Carmen' Sept. 9 at Center on Halsted 2021-09-08|
- 'Close-Up with Carmen'about the intersection of drag and operawill take place Thursday, Sept. 9, at 6 p.m. at the Hoover-Leppen Theatre at Center on Halsted, 3656 N. Halsted St. During this event, participants will discuss cross-dressi ...
|MOVES Talking about 'Everybody's Talking About Jamie' 2021-09-08|
- The new movie Everybody's Talking About Jamie tells the inspiring story of Jamie New, a young drag artist who overcomes hardship and homophobia in Sheffield, England. Out actor Max Harwood stars as New, who gets by ...
|MUSIC Upcoming 'Carmen' featuring queer lead, male drag 2021-09-05|
- On Sept. 16 and 18 at the Harris Theater for Music and Dance, 205 E. Randolph St., Chicago audiences will have the rare opportunity to hear two world-class dramatic mezzo-sopranos debut new roles opposite one another ...
|SHOWBIZ RuPaul, GALECA toast, Elliot Page, 'Chippendales,' bi model 2021-08-22|
- RuPaul revealed a new wax figure at Madame Tussauds Las Vegas, a press release noted. The all-new Rainbow Runway experience invites guests to "meet" and take cues from the most commercially successful drag queen of all ...
|THEATER New iteration of 'The Golden Girls' Sept. 16-Oct. 23 2021-08-18|
- Hell in a Handbag Productions will welcome back audiences this fall with the return of Chicago's favorite drag seniors in its long-running parody The Golden Girls: The Lost Episodes, Vol. 5SEX!, written by Artistic Director David ...
|Lips Drag Queen Show Palace celebrates two years with grand reopening 2021-08-06|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Lips, the ultimate in drag dining, today announced they will celebrate two years on Chicago's iconic Motor Row with reimagined performances, a new show night and a dynamic new cast to deliver its one-of-a-kind ...
|Billy Masters 2021-06-28|
- "Ballet dancers and hairdressers and drag queens made it safe for football players to come out and not the other way around."—Dan Savage puts Carl Nassib's coming out into the context of those who came before ...