||PASSAGES: Troy Ford
This article shared 4254 times since Thu Mar 1, 2007
Troy Ford—pictured here with his mother, Haridell Ford—was a mover and shaker in political circles. He passed away Feb. 2.
Troy Ford, a social individual who was probably best known as then-Senator Carol Moseley Braun's liaison to the LGBT community, passed away Feb. 2 at John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County. He was 43.
Ford had been seriously ill and had been comatose for two weeks.
Besides serving as Moseley Braun's liaison, he also served in other roles, such as being a member of the City of Chicago Commission on Human Relations' Advisory Council on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Issues. Ford also supported numerous organizations and was seen at many functions.
In a statement to Windy City Times, mayoral liaison Bill Greaves said that ' [ h ] is fellow members of the Advisory Council and the Commission greatly appreciated Troy's support and contributions, and they treasured the joy he brought to their lives. Troy had many friends and was well respected in the LGBT communities. He will be missed.'
State Rep. Greg Harris also weighed in. 'Troy was a great leader for our community, taking bold and proud stances on all our behalf for years,' he said. 'The loss of his leadership will be felt by all of us who work politically to improve Chicago and to fight for equality for all Illinoisians.'
Jackie Anderson—a friend of Ford who has supported numerous causes herself, including Mountain Moving Coffeehouse and Gerber/Hart Library—remembered Ford as having strong personal qualities. 'Troy was a great deal of fun and a very loyal friend,' she told Windy City Times. 'I think that he was one of the very nicest fellows that I've ever known and we actually had some very good times together.'
Ford's mom, Haridell, has remained a remarkably strong figure in light of the loss she has suffered, and she attributes that strength to a higher power. 'I'm OK,' she said. 'I have a lot of faith.'
A service to remember Troy Ford's life will take place within the next few weeks. Those who would like to send cards or flowers to Haridell Ford can have them sent to 8229 S. Harper, Chicago, IL 60619.
This article shared 4254 times since Thu Mar 1, 2007
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|PASSAGES Maya Kali Evans dies at 53 2021-02-19|
- Maya Kali Evans (formerly Curtis O. Love)—a tattoo artist and caregiver who resided in Newark, Illinois, and who previously lived in Chicago and Philadelphia—passed away peacefully Feb. 18, 2021, at home in Newark. She was 53. ...
|PASSAGES Dr. Gary B. Beringer, epidemiologist, dies at 70 2021-02-17|
- Epidemiologist Gary B. Beringer, Dr. P.H., age 70, passed away suddenly Wednesday, Jan. 27 at his home in Chicago, IL. Gary, an only child, is survived by his wife, Nancy M. Abbate, who worked closely with ...
|Queer musician Ari Gold dies at 47
- New York City-based dance artist Ari Gold has died at age 47 after a long battle with cancer, according to out.com. Gold—who was also known as Sir Ari and GoldNation— released seven albums as a part ...
|PASSAGES Robert Thomas Cichocki, J.D. dies at 70 2021-02-11|
- Robert Thomas Cichocki, J.D., passed away peacefully at home in Chicago's Lake View neighborhood on Feb. 5. He was 70. After earning his B.A. from Wayne State University and his J.D. from The John Marshall Law ...
|PASSAGES Gordon Keith Richardson 2021-02-08|
- Gordon Keith Richardson of Washington, D.C., passed away on Feb. 4, 2021, at the age of 60 from complications of COVID-19. Keith was born in Leadville, CO, and raised primarily in St. Charles, Missouri. He graduated ...
|Former CTU President Karen Lewis dies at 67
- Former Chicago Teachers Union (CTU) President Karen Lewis has died at age 67, The Chicago Tribune reported. She led a seven-day strike in 2012 (the first in a quarter-century) and was a one-time mayoral hopeful who ...
PASSAGES Elzie Bates
- Elzie Bates was born at home April 6, 1931, in McComb, Mississippi. His birth was never officially recorded so for most of his adult life, his many friends celebrated his birthday on the day of Elzie's ...
|PASSAGES Carmen Vazquez, social justice activist 2021-01-28|
--From press releases - The National LGBTQ Task Force: The National LGBTQ Task Force is deeply saddened to announce the death of Carmen Vàzquez, long-time LGBTQ+ and social justice activist. Carmen died on Jan. 27, 2021 of COVID related complications. ...
|Pioneering AIDS researcher Dr. Joseph Sonnabend dead at 88 2021-01-24|
--From a media release by HIVPlusMagazine - Pioneering AIDS researcher and clinician Joseph Sonnabend, 88, died Jan. 24, 2021 at the Wellington Hospital in London, after suffering a heart attack on Jan.3, 2021. Born in Johannesburg, South Africa, to a physician mother and ...
|Broadcasting legend Larry King dies at 87
- Broadcasting icon Larry King has died at age 87, CNN.com reported. King died at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, Ora Media, the studio and network he co-founded, tweeted. No cause of death was given, but ...
|PASSAGES Kevin McCarthy 2021-01-19|
- Kevin Creedon McCarthy, of Chicago's Andersonville neighborhood, passed away after a brief illness on Jan. 11. He was 53. Raised in Arlington Heights, Kevin studied communications at the University of Missouri before embarking on a long ...
|PASSAGES George H. Gibson 2021-01-06|
- George Horner Gibson died at his home in Chicago on Jan. 3, 2021. He was 88. Gibson was born in Baltimore, Maryland, and grew up in Charlotte, North Carolina. He graduated from Furman University with bachelor's ...
|PASSAGES Chicago activist Benny Montgomery dies
- Benny M. Montgomery Jr.—a longtime Chicago-based LGBTQ-rights activist who had worked as a constituent services administrator for U.S. Rep. Danny Davis and former Congresswoman Cardiss Collins, among other politicians—passed away ...
|Chicago trans woman Eshay Key, 25, dies in Christmas shooting 2020-12-28|
Column by Sue Kerr - Just a week after writing about the ugly shooting death of a 19-year-old Black gender nonconforming young adult while they were at a Christmas party, I was hopeful there would be no more deaths to cover ...
|'Party Monster' killer Michael Alig dies at 54
- Michael Alig who was at the center of the LGBTQ "club kids" scene in late 1980s and early '90s Manhattan, and whose involvement in the murder and dismemberment of his drug dealer was chronicled in the 2003 film Party Monster died Dec. 25th ...