WINDY CITY TIMES
|PASSAGES Todd Vitale
This article shared 1708 times since Tue Nov 28, 2023
Todd Louis Vitale, 60, a professional vocalist and Realtor who lived in Chicago's Sheridan Park neighborhood, passed away peacefully Nov. 15, after a long battle with ALS-Lou Gehrig's disease.
Born in East St. Louis, Illinois, Todd graduated early from Belleville-West High School in 1981 to sing at Opryland, along with the Melody Top Theatre in Milwaukee, before embarking on international and regional tours of Pirates of Penzance, King and I, Evita and Jesus Christ Superstar.
After settling in Chicago, Todd performed frequently around the city. He produced and starred in his own one-man show Night and Day - A Tribute to Cole Porter at the Royal George Cabaret Theater, and regularly performed with Tuxedo Junction. Todd also annually sang for the High Holy Days at Anshe Emet and Bnai Torah congregations. He truly loved all kinds of music and learning about the history and culture the music represented.
His love for food, wine and cuisine led him to become a captain at the Spiaggia restaurant for many years before pursuing a new career as a licensed Realtor. Todd loved surrounding himself with beauty, art, music and creating the perfect environment. His creativity knew no bounds; he worked in both painting and calligraphy as well as interior and graphic design. The World was his oyster until ALS took it all away.
He is survived by his beloved partner and best friend of nearly 34 years, Christopher Michael Sterling, who was Todd's devoted primary caregiver. Loving son of the late Rev. John Lee Vitale and Betty Jean Vitale (nee Walter); brother of Mark Vitale of Newburgh, New York, and Lynn (Randy) Pantano of Columbia, Illinois. Adored brother-in-law of Karen (Mark) Moritz; uncle of Brandon and Nathan Moritz; and great-uncle of Hayden Moritz. Faithful companion of Luce, Harry and Winston, the Cattens.
Todd is also survived by many supportive friends including Judith Sherwin, Kristin Milles, Shawn-Laree O'Neil, Sue Carrel, Sonia Arroyave, Nina Fernandez and Mary Beth Gierlinger. A celebration of life is being planned to coincide with Todd and Chris' 34th anniversary in early February of 2024.
Donations may be made in Todd's name to www.hark-als.org or www.als.net/, two non-profit support driven ALS Foundations. Arrangements by Inclusive Funeral Care, (773) 318-1305 or www.InclusiveFuneralCare.com .
This article shared 1708 times since Tue Nov 28, 2023
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE
|Oklahoma non-binary student dies after being assaulted 2024-02-21
- Officials acknowledged there are unresolved questions about a 16-year-old non-binary Oklahoma student who died one day after a fight in a high school bathroom, NBC News noted. Chuck Hoskin Jr., principal chief of the Cherokee Nation, ...
|GLAAD remembers Cecilia Gentili, transgender Latina, actress, activist, health care activist, journalist 2024-02-06
--From a press release - (New York, NY - February 6, 2024) GLAAD, the world's largest LGBTQ media advocacy organization, is responding to the death of transgender actress and advocate Cecilia Gentili and elevating voices of transgender and political leaders honoring ...
|More information emerges about death on Atlantis gay cruise 2024-02-04
By Lu Calzada - Further details have emerged following the death of a Chicago man on a Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas Atlantis cruise targeted towards gay men. Following a Reddit post by the man's sister which has ...
|PASSAGES Imperial Court's Scott Archer remembered as selfless, devoted 2024-02-04
By Alec Karam - As the old saying goes, we all have an angel on one shoulder, and a devil on the other. Well, Scott Archer was all angel, his best friend Herman Coen believes. "Everybody wanted to talk to Scott, because Scott was Scott," ...
|Broadway star Chita Rivera dies at 91 2024-01-30
- Chita Riveraa Broadway legend with more than seven decades of creditshas died at age 91 after a short illness, People Magazine reported. "It is with immense personal sorrow that I announce the death of the beloved ...
|PASSSAGES Chef Michael Thomas Zito 2024-01-02
- Chef Michael Thomas Zito, 55, ("Chef Bear Italia" and "Big Chef") passed away December 12, 2023, unexpectedly at home in Chicago's Belmont Gardens neighborhood. Born in Kentucky to Pentecostal missionaries from New York, Mike began cooking ...
|Gay political trailblazer Ken Sherrill passes away at age 81 2023-12-30
- Kenneth Sherrilla pioneering political scientist who was also the first out gay elected official in New York historydied in early December at age 81 from surgical complications, Gay City News reported. He is survived by his ...
|PASSAGES Paris Johnson 2023-12-29
- Paris Johnson, 29, of Chicago's West Loop neighborhood, passed away unexpectedly Nov. 28. He would have celebrated his 30th birthday Dec. 20. Born into a military family in Sacramento, California, Paris moved often in his youth, ...
|PASSAGES Frankie Franklin-Foxx 2023-12-18
- Frankie Franklin-Foxx (born Waverlynn Franklin), a resident of Chicago's North Side, passed away peacefully Dec. 13 at St. Francis Hospital in Evanston. She was 68. Born at Cook County Hospital, Frankie graduated from South Shore High ...
|PASSAGES Former Republican Illinois legislator Susan Catania remembered for supporting gay rights 2023-12-14
- Advocates remember former Illinois legislator Susan Catania as an active ally in the fight for LGBTQ+ rights. Susan died Nov. 27 after a fire broke out in her home in Wisconsin, according to a tribute written ...
|'She was here...and she is here': Street to be renamed after Elise Malary 2023-11-30
By Alec Karam - The memory of the late activist Elise Malary will soon become a permanent part of Andersonville's Catalpa Avenue. The renamed "Elise Malary Way" will encompass the Catalpa Plaza area, a planned pedestrian plaza between Ashland Avenue ...
|Chicagoans gather to mark the 2023 Trans Day of Remembrance 2023-11-20
- Brave Space Alliance, Chicago Therapy Collective and Life is Work joined forces to celebrate Trans Day of Remembrance under the banner New Era Together Nov. 19 at Venue West, 221 N. Paulina St., on the West ...
|PASSAGES: Mexico's first out nonbinary magistrate Jesus Ociel Baena Saucedo 2023-11-19
- On Nov. 13, Mexico's first out nonbinary magistrate and LGBTQ+ activist Jesus Ociel Baena Saucedo was found dead in their state of Aguascalientes home alongside their partner Dorian Herrera. They were 38. According to state prosecutor ...
|PASSAGES Ashley Marie McClure-Wolfson 2023-11-17
- Ashley Marie McClure-Wolfson, "Ash," pharmacist, BCACP, AAHIVP, passed away suddenly Nov. 11. She was 35 and a resident of the Andersonville neighborhood. Born in Burnsville, Minnesota, Ashley graduated from Burnsville High School and completed a six-year ...
|PASSAGES Best-selling author, labor lawyer, feminist, LGBTQ ally Linda Hirshman 2023-11-17
- Best-selling author, renowned pro-union labor lawyer, Brandeis University professor, feminist and LGBTQ ally Linda Hirshman died Oct. 31 in Burlington, Vermont of cancer. She was 79. Hirshman was born April 26, 1944, in Cleveland where she ...