WINDY CITY TIMES
||PASSAGES: Rodman 'Rod' Higbee
This article shared 3598 times since Wed Apr 4, 2007
Rodman 'Rod' L. Higbee, 81, a longtime Lakeview resident, passed away March 24. He was 81.
Higbee was a talented and knowledgeable antique dealer and collector and was most recently employed by A-1 Lamp Company repairing lamps and fixtures. He earned his B.S. in physics from Washington State University and also worked for many years as a sales representative within the printing industry.
Higbee was the best friend and honorary uncle of Carlos Trevino; the dear brother of Janet ( Merlin ) Lindgren; and the fond uncle of Corrine ( Ken ) Roos, Miriam ( Donald ) Ambrose, Naomi ( Rick ) Rumpff, Robert ( Colleen ) Higbee, Shaila and Craig ( Stacy ) Fisher and Steve and Irene Higbee, all of the state of Washington.
A private memorial service is being planned. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in his name to the AIDS Foundation of Chicago, 411 S. Wells, Ste. 300, Chicago, IL 60607 or www.aidschicago.org .
Arrangements by Cremation Society of Illinois, 773-281-5058.
This article shared 3598 times since Wed Apr 4, 2007
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|NATIONAL Carl Bean dies, LGBT History Month, military events, Dykes on Bikes 2021-09-19|
- Archbishop Carl Beanan openly gay former Motown singer, longtime AIDS activist and leader in the LGBTQ church movementdied at age 77, The New York Daily News reported. In a statement entitled "The Giant Sleeps," the Unity ...
|Former bishop who pushed for LGBTQ+ inclusion dies at 90 2021-09-19|
- Retired Newark Bishop John Shelby Sponga best-selling author and cleric known for his progressive theology and his support of women and LGBTQ+ clergy in The Episcopal Churchhas died at age 90, Episcopal News Service reported. "It ...
|PASSAGES Pioneering lesbian business owner Susan Mazer dies 2021-09-04|
- Susan Mazer died August 31 due to COVID-19 complications. She was 77. At the time of her death, Mazer was living in Port Saint Lucie, Florida with her wife Janet Norton. Mazer was born May 10, ...
|Celebration of life for Roman Buenrostro taking place Oct. 5 2021-08-31|
- A celebration of life for the late Chicago advocate Roman Buenrostro will take place Tuesday, Oct. 5, 3-6 p.m., at Goodman Theatre, 170 N. Dearborn St. Buenrostro was an LGBTQ- and HIV/AIDS-rights activist who passed away ...
|The National Black Justice Coalition mourns death of Pooh Johnson 2021-08-26|
--From a press release - SHREVEPORT, LA The National Black Justice Coalition (NBJC) mourns the loss of Pooh Johnson, a 25-year-old Black gender-nonconforming person. Pooh was found shot to death inside a car early in the morning on August 23, ...
|PFLAG National mourns passing of past president Paulette Goodman 2021-08-16|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON—PFLAGers everywhere mourn the death of Paulette Goodman, who served as PFLAG National President from 1988 until 1992. Goodman was born in a Jewish family, ...
|James Hormel, the first LGBTQ U.S. ambassador, dies 2021-08-13|
- James Catherwood Hormel—the first openly gay man to represent the United States as an ambassador—died Aug. 13 at age 88. ...
|Bernie Hansen's gay-rights legacy remembered 2021-07-30|
- Activist Arthur Johnston recalled the late 44th Ward Alderman Bernie Hansen as perhaps "the most unlikely gay-rights alderman." Johnston—one of the activists involved with, among other endeavors, the push for the city's Human Rights Ordinance i ...
|Photographer/activist Ed Negron's funeral will take place Aug. 3 2021-07-29|
- On his own Facebook page, one of the brothers of the late Chicago photographer/activist Ed Negron has revealed the details of his impending funeral. According to Leo Negron Rodriguez, Negron's funeral will take place at ...
|PASSAGES Writer, attorney, activist Takeia R. Johnson 2021-07-25|
- The local organization Affinity Community Services announced the recent passing of Takeia R. Johnson. According to Johnson's LinkedIn profile, she was editor-in-chief and lead writer at Inclusion at Work as well as a Ph.D. student focusing ...
|Chicago photographer, activist Ed Negron dies [UPDATED] 2021-07-24|
- Ed Negron—an activist, Army veteran and substance-abuse counselor who served for many years as a dedicated bisexual volunteer, mentor, leader and advocate in the LGBTQ, Latino and recovering communities—passed away ...
|PASSAGES Author, cultural theorist, scholar Lauren Berlant dies 2021-07-15|
- Author, cultural theorist and scholar Lauren Berlant died June 28 in a Chicago hospice facility of a rare form of cancer. They were 63. Berlant (who used they/them pronouns professionally) was born Oct. 31, 1957 in ...
|Prominent lesbian educator/activist/author Sally Gearhart dies at 90 2021-07-15|
- Sally Gearhartthe first out lesbian to receive a tenure-track position at San Francisco State University and a prominent LGBTQ-rights advocatedied July 14, according to The Bay Area Reporter, which cited an email Jean Crosby sent to ...
|PASSAGES Ray Marchman
- Ray Marchman, a onetime Chicago resident, passed away in Fort Lauderdale, Florida on June 6. He was 87. According to an obituary on Dignity Memorial's website, Marchman was born in Miami in 1933the only child of ...
|PASSAGES Fritzie Fritzshall, Auschwitz survivor, innovator in Holocaust education 2021-06-20|
--From a press release - As a Survivor of the Holocaust and the President of Illinois Holocaust Museum & Education Center, Fritzie Fritzshall devoted her life to combatting hatred and prejudice, inspiring people to become Upstanders instead of bystanders, and speaking ...