WINDY CITY TIMES
||PASSAGES Maya Kali Evans dies at 53
This article shared 1425 times since Fri Feb 19, 2021
Maya Kali Evans (nee Curtis O. Love)a tattoo artist and caregiver who resided in Newark, Illinois, and who previously lived in Chicago and Philadelphiapassed away peacefully Feb. 18, 2021, at home in Newark. She was 53.
She was the daughter of Robert L. (Sharon Gibson) Love and the late Mary Lou Love (nee Williams).
Maya was the sister of Robin Love (Kenneth) Campbell, nee Love; and aunt of Gwynneth Campbell (Stuart) Bisbee and Madalyn Campbell. She is survived by Jean Williams McCarragher, Thomas (Jack Ely) Buchhauser, Larry Love and many cousins, friends and neighbors who loved her dearly.
Services will be held at a later time.
Memorial donations to Unity Hospice of Rochelle, www.unityhospice.com/donate/
Arrangements by Cremation Society of Illinois, 773-281-5058 or www.cremation-society.com .
This article shared 1425 times since Fri Feb 19, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|PASSAGES Pioneering lesbian business owner Susan Mazer dies 2021-09-04|
- Susan Mazer died August 31 due to COVID-19 complications. She was 77. At the time of her death, Mazer was living in Port Saint Lucie, Florida with her wife Janet Norton. Mazer was born May 10, ...
|Celebration of life for Roman Buenrostro taking place Oct. 5 2021-08-31|
- A celebration of life for the late Chicago advocate Roman Buenrostro will take place Tuesday, Oct. 5, 3-6 p.m., at Goodman Theatre, 170 N. Dearborn St. Buenrostro was an LGBTQ- and HIV/AIDS-rights activist who passed away ...
|The National Black Justice Coalition mourns death of Pooh Johnson 2021-08-26|
--From a press release - SHREVEPORT, LA The National Black Justice Coalition (NBJC) mourns the loss of Pooh Johnson, a 25-year-old Black gender-nonconforming person. Pooh was found shot to death inside a car early in the morning on August 23, ...
|PFLAG National mourns passing of past president Paulette Goodman 2021-08-16|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON—PFLAGers everywhere mourn the death of Paulette Goodman, who served as PFLAG National President from 1988 until 1992. Goodman was born in a Jewish family, ...
|James Hormel, the first LGBTQ U.S. ambassador, dies 2021-08-13|
- James Catherwood Hormel—the first openly gay man to represent the United States as an ambassador—died Aug. 13 at age 88. ...
|Bernie Hansen's gay-rights legacy remembered 2021-07-30|
- Activist Arthur Johnston recalled the late 44th Ward Alderman Bernie Hansen as perhaps "the most unlikely gay-rights alderman." Johnston—one of the activists involved with, among other endeavors, the push for the city's Human Rights Ordinance i ...
|Photographer/activist Ed Negron's funeral will take place Aug. 3 2021-07-29|
- On his own Facebook page, one of the brothers of the late Chicago photographer/activist Ed Negron has revealed the details of his impending funeral. According to Leo Negron Rodriguez, Negron's funeral will take place at ...
|PASSAGES Writer, attorney, activist Takeia R. Johnson 2021-07-25|
- The local organization Affinity Community Services announced the recent passing of Takeia R. Johnson. According to Johnson's LinkedIn profile, she was editor-in-chief and lead writer at Inclusion at Work as well as a Ph.D. student focusing ...
|Chicago photographer, activist Ed Negron dies [UPDATED] 2021-07-24|
- Ed Negron—an activist, Army veteran and substance-abuse counselor who served for many years as a dedicated bisexual volunteer, mentor, leader and advocate in the LGBTQ, Latino and recovering communities—passed away ...
|PASSAGES Author, cultural theorist, scholar Lauren Berlant dies 2021-07-15|
- Author, cultural theorist and scholar Lauren Berlant died June 28 in a Chicago hospice facility of a rare form of cancer. They were 63. Berlant (who used they/them pronouns professionally) was born Oct. 31, 1957 in ...
|Prominent lesbian educator/activist/author Sally Gearhart dies at 90 2021-07-15|
- Sally Gearhartthe first out lesbian to receive a tenure-track position at San Francisco State University and a prominent LGBTQ-rights advocatedied July 14, according to The Bay Area Reporter, which cited an email Jean Crosby sent to ...
|PASSAGES Ray Marchman
- Ray Marchman, a onetime Chicago resident, passed away in Fort Lauderdale, Florida on June 6. He was 87. According to an obituary on Dignity Memorial's website, Marchman was born in Miami in 1933the only child of ...
|PASSAGES Fritzie Fritzshall, Auschwitz survivor, innovator in Holocaust education 2021-06-20|
--From a press release - As a Survivor of the Holocaust and the President of Illinois Holocaust Museum & Education Center, Fritzie Fritzshall devoted her life to combatting hatred and prejudice, inspiring people to become Upstanders instead of bystanders, and speaking ...
|Fifth annual Pulse Nightclub memorial in downstate Illinois on June 12 2021-06-09|
- On Saturday, June 12, at 7 p.m. in Bloomington, Illinois, local organizations will remember the 49 lives lost at the Pulse Nightclub in 2016 with their fifth annual outdoor memorial service, according to a joint press ...
|NATIONAL Press secretary, LGBTQ passings, poll results, Pride items 2021-05-30|
- Deputy Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre made history as the first gay woman to lead a White House press briefing in the James S. Brady Briefing Room, and the second Black woman to do so, LGBTQ Nation ...