WINDY CITY TIMES
||PASSAGES: Ferd Eggan
This article shared 3749 times since Wed Jul 11, 2007
Ferd Eggan, a onetime Chicagoan who was very involved in the AIDS organization ACT UP, passed away June 6 of complications related to HIV and liver cancer.
Eggan was an activist, revolutionary and former AIDS coordinator for the City of Los Angeles, where he resided at the time of his passing. Last month, the Los Angeles City Council honored Eggan for his leadership in improving HIV/AIDS programs, services and education.
According to InLAMag.com, Eggan—who was diagnosed with HIV in 1986—was born in 1946 in Albena, Mich., and 'learned compassion at an early age as he struggled with who he was and wanted to be.' He initially attended college in Michigan, but eventually dropped out of school and moved to South Carolina, where he help register Black voters—and encountered his first love, an African-American soldier. ( According to the site, Eggan was forced to leave town in 1966 over his interracial gay love. )
Eggan then went from New York City to San Francisco to Chicago. It was in the Windy City where he joined the Gay Liberation Front and co-founded ACT UP/Chicago. He then moved to Los Angeles in 1990.
In an e-mail he sent several months ago to several individuals, Eggan commented, in part, 'I have no big regrets so far, except for the ways I may have hurt others. My politics have been pretty good and I at least had good intentions.'
There was a vigil for Eggan in West Hollywood, Calif., on July 8. Details of services will be reported as they become available.
This article shared 3749 times since Wed Jul 11, 2007
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|PASSAGES: LGBTQ activist, writer and therapist Dr. Charles Silverstein 2023-02-08|
- New York City-based LGBTQ activist, writer and therapist Dr. Charles Silverstein died Jan. 30 of complications from cancer surrounded by family and friends. He was 87. Silverstein was born April 23, 1935, in Brooklyn, New York ...
|LGBTQ+ police officer remembered as 'wonder woman' 2022-12-30|
- On Dec. 29, the friends and loved ones of LGBTQ+ Bradley Police Sgt. Marlene Rittmanic gathered at the Comfort Inn in Bourbonnais to mark the one-year anniversary of her passing, ABC 7 Chicago reported. The hotel ...
|In memoriam: LGBTQ community obituaries 2022 2022-12-27|
- The LGBTQ community lost many members in 2022, including at least 35 people in incidents of hate violence against individual transgender people and against patrons of the Club Q bar in Colorado. Here are other memorable ...
|Memorial set for Charlotte Newfeld 2022-12-09|
- Memorial set for Charlotte Newfeld Memorial services for LGBTQ+ community ally and Lakeview activist Charlotte Newfeld will be Tuesday, Jan. 24 at Ann Sather's on Belmont, from 6-8 p.m. Newfeld died Nov. 17 due to natural causes. She ...
|PASSAGES: LGBTQ+ ally, activist and artist Charlotte Newfeld passes away 2022-11-23|
- LGBTQ+ ally, activist and artist Charlotte Newfeld died Nov. 17 due to natural causes. She was 91. At the time of her death, Newfeld was living at the Dobson Memory Care facility in Evanston. Newfeld was ...
|Passages: Sexologist and activist Dr. Thomas Gertz passes away 2022-11-19|
- Sexologist and activist Dr. Thomas Gertz died Oct. 28 due to natural causes. He was 77. At the time of his death, Gertz was in an assisted living facility. He had previously lived at Heartland ...
|PASSAGES Singer Aaron Carter dies at 34 2022-11-05|
- Singer Aaron Carter—the brother of Backstreet Boys member Nick Carter—has died after apparently drowning at his L.A. home at age 34, according to media reports. TMZ originally reported the news. The outlet said that he was ...
|Memorial for Urvashi Vaid to be livestreamed Nov. 3 2022-10-29|
- A memorial celebration of the life of Urvashi Vaid will be held on Thursday, Nov. 3, at 5 p.m. ET/4 p.m. CT at B'Nai Jesherun, 258 W. 88th St., New York City. In-person RSVPs are at capacity. However, the event will ...
|'Will & Grace' actor Leslie Jordan dies in car accident 2022-10-24|
- Leslie Jordan—the openly gay actor who rose to fame on Will & Grace as the frenemy of Megan Mullally's Karen Walker and was immediately recognizable by his Southern accent—died in a single-car crash in Hollywood on ...
|SHOWBIZ 'P-Valley,' Dan Levy, trans/non-binary panel, Christina Aguilera, Spirit Day 2022-10-23|
Video below - Starz has renewed the show P-Valley (the network's most-watched series) for a third season, The Hollywood Reporter noted. The renewal for the series from creator/showrunner Katori Hall arrives more than two months after the sophomore season ...
|PASSAGES Kathleen Joan DeBold 2022-10-15|
-- From www.kfhpa.com/obituary/Kathleen-DeBold - Kathleen Joan DeBold, celebrated DC LGBT activist, died suddenly on October 9, 2022 in Ocean City, MD. Kathleen was born on November 16, 1955 in Brooklyn, NY, to Francis Charles and Joan Marie DeBold. During childhood, ...
|The life of trans icon Gloria Allen celebrated at event 2022-10-07|
- A celebration of the life of noted transgender activist, mentor and teacher Gloria Allen was held on Oct. 6 at Center on Halsted. Allenwho wasaffectionately called "Mama Gloria" by her friends and colleagues, saw her efforts ...
|Comic and LGBTQ+ ally Judy Tenuta dies at 72 2022-10-07|
- Judy Tenuta—an unconventional stand-up comic who often played the accordion and who guested on numerous TV shows and appeared in two "Weird" Al Yankovic videos—died Oct. 6 of ovarian cancer in Studio City, California at age ...
|Slain LGBTQ+ police officer to be honored in Bradley on Oct. 6 2022-10-06|
- A candlelight vigil will be held at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 6, at the Bradley Police Department to honor Sgt. Marlene Rittmanic's 50th birthday, The Daily Journal reported. "What was supposed to be a day ...
|PASSAGES Timothy Lamar Schannep 2022-09-15|
- Timothy Lamar Schannep, of Evanston, passed away on Aug, 24 at age 71. He was born on July 17, 1951, in Phoenix, and was the youngest of seven children. He was raised in North Manchester, Indiana, ...