||PASSAGES: ADRIENNE FUZEE (May 16, 1950-May 18, 2003)
This article shared 6114 times since Tue Jul 1, 2003
Adrienne Fuzee, one of two openly lesbian African American curators working in the U.S. in the late twentieth-century, died May 18, 2003, from complications related to diabetes. She was 53 years old.
Born in 1950, Fuzee was introduced to curating at Watt's Towers. An art historian and popular lecturer, she was a founding board member of Qcc: Queer Cultural Center (originally The Center for Lesbian Gay Bi Transgender Art & Culture in San Francisco).
Long associated with LVA: Lesbians in the Visual Arts, she moderated the influential panel discussion 'Hobnail Boots to Stiletto Heels: A Dialogue on Lesbian Artistic Sensibilities' ) with Barbara Hammer (filmmaker), Osa Hidalgo-de la Riva (filmmaker), and Wendy Cadden (printmaker).
She curated 'Jean Cornwell: Paintings and Sculptures' for the African American Museum of Fine Arts, San Diego; 'San Diego Contemporary Art' for the Yokohama (Japan) Citizen's Gallery; 'Techno Art' for Spectrum Gallery, San Francisco; 'Torch & Anvil' for the SF Art Commission Gallery; 'Contempo Lesbos' ) for Queer Arts Resource 40www.queer-arts.org ) 'Jewels in a Jewel Box' ) for the Charles M. Holmes Campus, LBGTI Center, San Francisco; and 'Sheets in the Wind: a History of the Poster in the LGBT community' ) at the Hormel Center of the San Francisco Public Library.
She is survived by her lover, writer Lisa Kahaleole Hall, and an extended family of friends.
This article shared 6114 times since Tue Jul 1, 2003
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|PASSAGES Renowned author, professor, LGBTQ+-rights activist Arnie Kantrowitz 2022-01-25|
- Renowned author, professor and LGBTQ activist Arnie Kantrowitz died Jan. 21 in New York City's Upper East Side Rehabilitation Center due to complications from COVID-19. He was 81. Kantrowitz was born Nov. 26, 1940, in Newark, ...
|Fashion designer Thierry Mugler dies at 73 2022-01-24|
- Openly gay French fashion designer Thierry Mugler (full name: Manfred Thierry Mugler) has passed away at age 73, according to media reports. Madonna, Lady Gaga and Cardi B are among those who have worn his designs. ...
|Former Iowa Mr. Leather and computer programmer Ken Ballard dies at 43 2022-01-21|
- Former Iowa Mr. Leather, computer programmer and gay Chicagoan Ken Meverick Ballard died Jan. 11 in his Lake View home at the age of 43. The cause of death is currently unknown. Ballard was born July ...
|PASSAGES Pansy Kings performance artist, education advocate Murray McKay 2022-01-20|
- Pansy Kings performance artist, education advocate, curator, designer and LGBTQ activist Edward Murray McKay died Jan. 4 of cancer. He was 53. McKay was born Oct. 2, 1968, in Brussels, Belgium. The family moved to Toronto ...
|Fashion icon Andre Leon Talley dies at 73 2022-01-19|
- Andre Leon Talleythe fashion icon and former creative director of Vogue magazinedied Jan. 18 at age 73. Details were not immediately revealed. In addition to his agent, Talley's Instagram account confirmed Talley's passing, noting that ...
|PASSAGES Allen Anthony Schuh 2022-01-17|
- Allen Schuh loved Christmas, so as a final gift he got to see his beloved lights and ornaments one last time before passing quietly away Dec. 28, 2021. Born July 9, 1940, in Chicago's South Side, ...
|PASSAGES Veronica Drake 2022-01-13|
- Veronica Drake—a onetime Chicago resident and longtime LGBTQ+-rights activist—recently passed away in October. She was 58. She last resided in Florida. According to an obituary at Marvin C. Zanders Funeral Home, Inc., Drake was born Sept. 15 ...
|PASSAGES Jeffrey Wayne ("Jef") Morgan 2022-01-11|
- Jeffrey Wayne "Jef" Morgan, of Chicago's West Rogers Park neighborhood, passed away unexpectedly from a heart attack while shoveling snow on Jan. 2. He was 58. Jef was the well-loved manager at Little Jim's on ...
|PASSAGES Black trans activist Ke'Yahonna Stone, victim of gun violence, dies 2022-01-11|
- Ke'Yahonna Stone was shot at Castle Run Shopping Center's Epic Ultra Lounge parking lot in Indianapolis, Indiana, in the early morning hours of Dec. 26. She was taken to the hospital and died Dec. 28 after ...
|LGBTQ Illinois police sergeant to be laid to rest Jan. 7 2022-01-06|
- Bradley, Illinois, Police Sergeant Marlene Rittmanic—who was killed in the line of duty on Dec. 30, 2021—will be laid to rest Friday, Jan. 7, NewsChannel20.com reported. A visitation will be held for Rittmanic at 2-7 p.m. ...
|Michigan's first out gay man dies at 91 2022-01-04|
- Jim Toythe person widely considered to be Michigan's first openly gay man and one of its most prominent LGBTQ activistspassed away at age 91, MLive.com reported. Toy died on New Year's Day, said Washtenaw County Commissioner ...
|WORLD Trans model dies, museum exhibit, Tunisia case 2022-01-02|
- April Ashleyreportedly the first Briton to undergo gender-confirmation surgeryhas died at 86, according to an Out item that cited The Liverpool Echo. Ashley, who was born in Liverpool, was the first known trans model to appear ...
|LGBTQ travel expert Jeff Guaracino dies at 48 2021-12-30|
- Philadelphia native, author and Visit Philadelphia President/CEO Jeff Guaracino died Dec. 28, following a long battle with cancer. He was 48. Guaracino worked to boost the economies of both his hometown and Atlantic City as head ...
|Former Democratic leader Harry Reid dies at 82 2021-12-29|
- Harry Reid, the former Democratic Senate leader who spearheaded epic legislative battles through three decades in Congress, has died at age 82 following a long battle with pancreatic cancer, according to media reports. Reid rose from ...
|Human-rights champion Archbishop Desmond Tutu dies at 90 2021-12-26|
- Archbishop Desmond Tutua Nobel Peace Prize laureate who was known for his stances for human rights and against South Africa's white minority ruledied Dec. 26 at age 90. According to Reuters, the presidency conveyed news of ...