||PASSAGES: ADRIENNE FUZEE (May 16, 1950-May 18, 2003)
This article shared 6228 times since Tue Jul 1, 2003
Adrienne Fuzee, one of two openly lesbian African American curators working in the U.S. in the late twentieth-century, died May 18, 2003, from complications related to diabetes. She was 53 years old.
Born in 1950, Fuzee was introduced to curating at Watt's Towers. An art historian and popular lecturer, she was a founding board member of Qcc: Queer Cultural Center (originally The Center for Lesbian Gay Bi Transgender Art & Culture in San Francisco).
Long associated with LVA: Lesbians in the Visual Arts, she moderated the influential panel discussion 'Hobnail Boots to Stiletto Heels: A Dialogue on Lesbian Artistic Sensibilities' ) with Barbara Hammer (filmmaker), Osa Hidalgo-de la Riva (filmmaker), and Wendy Cadden (printmaker).
She curated 'Jean Cornwell: Paintings and Sculptures' for the African American Museum of Fine Arts, San Diego; 'San Diego Contemporary Art' for the Yokohama (Japan) Citizen's Gallery; 'Techno Art' for Spectrum Gallery, San Francisco; 'Torch & Anvil' for the SF Art Commission Gallery; 'Contempo Lesbos' ) for Queer Arts Resource 40www.queer-arts.org ) 'Jewels in a Jewel Box' ) for the Charles M. Holmes Campus, LBGTI Center, San Francisco; and 'Sheets in the Wind: a History of the Poster in the LGBT community' ) at the Hormel Center of the San Francisco Public Library.
She is survived by her lover, writer Lisa Kahaleole Hall, and an extended family of friends.
This article shared 6228 times since Tue Jul 1, 2003
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Clela Rorex, first County Clerk to issue same-sex marriage licences, has died 2022-06-20|
-- From a press release - BOULDER, CO - Out Boulder County and the family of Clela Rorex are saddened to announce the death of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer pioneering ally, Clela Rorex. On March 27,1975 Clela issued the first ...
|PASSAGES Onetime Gay Chicago publisher Craig Gernhardt 2022-06-15|
- Craig Gernhardtwho once was the publisher of the now-defunct Gay Chicagohas died at age 61, according to Tribute Archive. His father, Gay Chicago Magazine co-founder and Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame inductee Ralph Paul Gernhardt, passed ...
|PASSAGES Legendary Chicago transgender activist, icon, mentor Mama Gloria Allen 2022-06-14|
- Legendary Chicago Black transgender activist, icon and mentor "Mama" Gloria Allen died June 13 in her residence at Chicago's LGBTQ senior living facility Townhall Apartments in Lake View. The cause of death is unknown at this ...
|PASSAGES Transgender icon Mama Gloria dies at 76 2022-06-14|
-- From a press release - Chicago transgender icon and activist Gloria Allen, who founded and ran a charm school for homeless trans youth and was the subject of the award-winning documentary "Mama Gloria" and the critically acclaimed play "Charm," has died ...
|PASSAGES Former Illinois Attorney General Jim Ryan dies at 76 2022-06-13|
- Former Illinois Attorney General Jim Ryan has passed away "peacefully at home" after several lengthy illnesses at age 76, The Chicago Tribune reported. Ryan was the state's attorney general from 1995 to 2003, and was the ...
|Local trans icon June LaTrobe dies 2022-06-11|
- June M. LaTrobe—a Chicago trans icon known for her activism—has passed away. She turned 81 on June 1. Being an advocate for the trans community, LaTrobe participated in many events (such as protests) and often took ...
|Red Stars tie again; Cubs win, White Sox lose; NU softball; ex-Bear dies 2022-06-02|
- The Chicago Red Stars battled the Washington Spirit to a 1-1 tie on June 1 at SeatGeek Stadium. The Red Stars' previous game, against the Portland Thorns, also resulted in a tie (2-2). An early header ...
|Late photographer/leatherman Ed Negron honored with street sign 2022-05-31|
- On May 30, during Memorial Day/International Mr. Leather (IML) weekend, the leather shop 64TEN honored late photographer/leatherman Ed Negron with a tribute and honorary street-naming ceremony. The events were held at the corner of Clark Street ...
|Los Angeles LGBT Center mourns passing of legendary LGBT activist, leader Urvashi Vaid 2022-05-15|
-- From a press release - LOS ANGELES, May 14, 2022—"The world has lost a giant in the movement for LGBTQ freedom, justice and equality. After a valiant battle with cancer, Urvashi Vaid died today," said Los Angeles LGBT Center CEO Lorri ...
|PASSAGES Urvashi Vaid dies, The National LGBTQ Task Force releases statement 2022-05-14|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON, DC……Legendary attorney, LGBTQ activist, and author Urvashi Vaid, known for her extensive career an advocate for LGBTQ rights, women's rights, anti-war efforts, immigration justice and many other social causes ...
|PASSAGES Dr. David Ostrow dies at 74 2022-05-14|
- Longtime researcher Dr. David Gene Ostrow, of Chicago, died unexpectedly on Feb. 16 at home. He was 74. The cause of death was end-stage renal disease, according to the Tribute Archive website. Ostrow was born on ...
|LGBTQ+-rights activist, Steamworks co-founder Rick Stokes dies at 87 2022-05-07|
- Rick Earl Stokes, famously "the other gay candidate" who ran against Harvey Milk for San Francisco supervisor in 1977, died May 3 at age 87, according to the Bay Area Reporter. Stokes died in San Francisco ...
|PASSAGES Playwright/disability-rights activist Susan Nussbaum dies 2022-04-30|
- Susan Nussbauma Chicago playwright, novelist and longtime disability-rights activistdied April 28 at age 68. Nussbaum won the 2012 PEN/Bellwether Prize for Social Engaging Fiction for her novel Good Kings Bad ...
|Chicago theater actress Hollis Resnik dies at 66 2022-04-18|
- Chicago theater actress Hollis Resnick, who had a glittering resume, has passed away at age 66. The Chicago Tribune's Chris Jones tweeted, "Sad to report that Father Jim Heneghan tells me that the great Chicago actress ...
|Loved ones mourn loss of Elise Malary 2022-04-15|
- Angelina Nordstrom remembers their close friend Elise Malary through candid photos and videos they loved to surprise her with. "My favorite thing was to catch her off-guard with the camera, to capture random moments of her ...