WINDY CITY TIMES
||Glittering and gay at the Goodman
This article shared 2772 times since Wed Sep 29, 2010
LGBT fans of musical theatre came out at The Goodman Sept. 24 for "Glitter and be Gay," a special reception prior to a sparkling performance of Leonard Bernstein's Candide. The event, which was co-sponsored by Windy City Times, featured cocktails; hot and cold hors d'oeuvres; schmoozing with cast and crew; and a special musical program.
Jeff Award winner Doug Peck accompanied cast members Rob Lindley and Rebecca Finnegan as they treated attendees to a selection of songs from Bernstein's West Side Story, On the Town and Wonderful Town. Lori Kleinerman, Goodman's director of marketing and public relations, explained that this type of outreach to specific communities is part of the organization's audience development efforts and mission to diversify their theatrical offerings. "We already have a strong fit with the LGBT community because of their overall education, vibrancy and interest in theatre," she said. "A musical made it a really super-perfect fit." Candide is directed by Mary Zimmerman, winner of a Tony and multiple Jeffs, and runs through Oct. 31. Photos and text by Micki Leventhal
This article shared 2772 times since Wed Sep 29, 2010
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Bailey's running mate's anti-LGBTQ posts unearthed 2022-08-18|
- Stephanie TrussellRepublican Darren Bailey's running mate for Illinois governor/lieutenant governorhas made controversial posts (including ones against the LGBTQ+ community) on social media, WGN-TV reported. "Stick your ...
|LGBTQ+-inclusive 'All that Glows' running through Oct. 1 2022-07-29|
-- From a press release - Weinberg/Newton Gallery, a non-commercial gallery dedicated to promoting social- justice causes, is partnering with the American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois to present All that Glows in the Dark of Democracy, July 29 — Oct. 1 ...
|Chappelle show canceled after social-media pushback 2022-07-21|
- On July 20, Dave Chappelle's stand-up show at a Minneapolis club was canceled just hours before the controversial comedian was set to perform, Variety reported. First Avenuethe iconic venue that provided the setting for Prince's Purple ...
|GLAAD releases 2022 Social Media Safety Index 2022-07-14|
- GLAAD has released its 2022 Social Media Safety Index (SMSI). The SMSI provides recommendations for the industry at large and reports on LGBTQ user safety across the five major social media platforms: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube ...
|The group Stud 4 Life celebrates Pride 2022-06-30|
- Local social club Stud 4 Life celebrated Pride on Chicago's South Side. On June 25, members held their Saturday Car Parade. A celebration followed at the Wild Blossom Winery, 9030 S. Hermitage Ave. Wanda B. started ...
|Asians & Friends Chicago hosts former Miss Philippines at pre-Pride Parade event 2022-06-21|
- Asians & Friends Chicago (AFC)—an LGBTQ+ social organization supporting the Asian community and those who have interests in Asian cultures—hosted former Miss Philippines Maria Isabel Lopez at an AFC member's ...
|Stonewall National Monument Visitor Center to open, reuniting historic Stonewall Inn 2022-06-21|
-- From a press release - New York, NY, June 21, 2022 — Pride Live, a social advocacy and community engagement organization for the LGBTQ+ community, today announced plans to open the Stonewall National Monument Visitor Center (SNMVC). Set to be the ...
|Marchers aim to 'reclaim pride,' shed light on issues facing LGBTQ+ community 2022-06-14|
- About a hundred people marched through streets in Lake View on June 12 to call attention to social-justice issues affecting LGBTQ+ people while centering the Black trans community. "Some people don't understand. They're, like, 'Why such ...
|SAVOR Nautical-themed spots Lake House and The Hampton Social; restaurant news 2022-06-03|
- Remember when you had that spacious second lakefront home that you could visit during the summer—dining on seafood and kicking back on those lazy afternoons? Yeah … me neither. However, the Fairmont Chicago has brought the ...
|LETTER Homophobia on The Maze Jackson show 2022-06-02|
- NOTE: Maze Jackson—who hosts"The Most Dangerous Social-Radio Show in Chicago" on weekday mornings at WBGX 1570AM—is the husband of Metropolitan Water Reclamation District President and Cook County assessor candidate Kari ...
|'Stonewall Day' to take place in NYC on June 24; Kesha to headline 2022-06-01|
- Pride Livea social advocacy and community engagement organization for the LGBTQ+ communityannounced that Grammy-nominated singer-songwriter Kesha will be the headline performer for Stonewall Day 2022. The legendary Pride event will ...
|Lambda Legal discusses court decisions granting same-sex couples fair access to Social Security benefits 2022-05-27|
- Lambda Legal—a national organization committed to actualizing the rights of LGBTQ+ people through impact litigation, public policy work and education—hosted an event at Sidetrack May 26 discussing its work securing ...
|OUTBermuda hires first-ever executive director 2022-05-26|
- Bermuda's LGBTQ+ advocacy nonprofit OUTBermuda has hired its first-ever executive directorTiffany Paynteras it looks to expand its impact and strengthen its sustainability as a resource. A social entrepreneur and longtime ...
|HIV/AIDS activist Rae Lewis-Thornton on her new memoir, 'Unprotected' 2022-05-18|
- Emmy-winning HIV/AIDS activist, author, minister, political organizer, motivational speaker, life coach, jewelry designer and social media figure Rae Clara Lewis-Thornton's recently released book, Unprotected: A Memoir, is already a pre-release ...
|PASSAGES Urvashi Vaid dies, The National LGBTQ Task Force releases statement 2022-05-14|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON, DC……Legendary attorney, LGBTQ activist, and author Urvashi Vaid, known for her extensive career an advocate for LGBTQ rights, women's rights, anti-war efforts, immigration justice and many other social causes ...