||Caribbean LGBTQ Writers' Symposium in Chicago
This article shared 3134 times since Fri Apr 1, 2005
The University of Chicago Lesbian and Gay Studies Project has announced a two-day forum that will focus on the art and activism of LGBTQ Caribbean writers and artists. This symposium, April 15-16, is the first academic gathering devoted to same-sex-loving writing from the region.
The conference will open with a literary reading and book signing at Women and Children First, 5233 N. Clark, April 15, from 7:30-9 p.m. On the following day, an all-day symposium will take place at the University of Chicago in Room 122 of the Social Sciences Building. The scheduled panels include 'The Words for It: Queer Identity, History and Language;' 'Art and Activism: Writing Gay/Human Rights;' and 'Acting Gay: Performance and Popular Culture.'
The event is free. For more information, contact the Lesbian and Gay Studies Project at ( 773 ) 834-4509 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org .
This article shared 3134 times since Fri Apr 1, 2005
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Combining creativity with consulting, trans-rights activists launch Better World Collaborative 2021-11-04|
- With years of activism behind them, transgender-rights advocates Crispin Torres and Rebecca Kling have sat through countless workshops. But they'd often leave their seats—or Zoom calls—feeling disappointed. Workshops don't need ...
|Co-founder of LGBTQ Latinx organization reflects after decades of activism 2021-10-12|
- When activist Julio Rodriguez was 5 years old, a teacher forced him to stand up in class and choose another name—maybe John, she suggested, since people couldn't pronounce "Julio." By the time he got home, he ...
|"I can't be silent": Michael O'Connor discusses his longtime activism 2021-10-04|
By Kayleigh Padar - Years ago, longtime activist Michael O'Connor heard that some Black legislators in Illinois didn't want to support the Marriage Equality Act because they didn't believe Black people would benefit from same-sex marriage. He decided to prove ...
|Latinx Humanist Alliance, American Humanist Association hosting activism training 2021-09-27|
- The Latinx Humanist Alliance and the American Humanist Association, in partnership with the Midwest Academy, are hosting a virtual grassroots activism 101 training on Friday, Oct. 1, 4-5:30 p.m. CT; and Saturday, Oct. 2, 1-2:30 p.m. ...
|Writer on AIDS activism in the Black church honored 2021-02-10|
--From a press release - The LGBTQ Religious Archives Network (LGBTQ-RAN) honors Dr. Dan Royles with the 2020-21 LGBTQ Religious History Award. The review jury selected Royles' "There Is a Balm in Gilead: AIDS Activism in the Black Church" from among ...
|30 Under 30 Awards 2000-2019 2020-09-30|
- Honoring local LGBTQ people 30 and younger who excelled in entertainment, politics, health, activism, academics, sports and other areas, Windy City Times' 30 Under 30 Awards ceremonies, which started in 2000, were held during Pride Month. ...
|Creating Change Conference to hold Oct. 10 day-long event, "Queering Racial Justice" 2020-09-21|
--From a press release - Sept. 21, 2020….Washington, DC…. The National LGBTQ Task Force and Creating Change will hold a day-long event (12:30 ET to 6:30 ET) exploring how Queer/Trans People of Color (QTPOC) activism is leading the resistance to state ...
|Gerber/Hart fall benefit Sept. 12-13
- The Gerber/Hart Library and Archives fall benefit"Saving LGBTQ History: Archives in a Time of Activism"will take place Sept. 12-13 at the venue, 6500 N. Clark St. On those days, there will be a series of 90-minute ...
|Teen LGBTQ+ activist aims to inspire with Be You Tiful Initiative 2020-07-31|
- Allison Frank is a 16-year-old lesbian activist from Lincolnshire's Stevenson High School who found her passion for activism and began the Be You Tiful Initiative. It all started when Frank was feeling overwhelmed in a makeup ...
|Buff Carmichael talks downstate activism 2020-07-22|
- Windy City Times has been featuring remembrances by longtime Springfield-based activist Buff Carmichael, who is also the former publisher of the Prairie Flame newspaper. In this final segment, Carmichael discusses why he was attracted to death ...
|Downstate activist Buff Carmichael talks husband, the Prairie Flame 2020-06-24|
- In the May 27 issue of Windy City Times, in the first of a three-part series, Springfield-based activist Buff Carmichael discussed his early life in Texas and his entry into gay activism in downstate Illinois. In ...
|GLAAD unveils inaugural 20 Under 20 list 2020-06-24|
- GLAAD revealed its inaugural Rising Stars 20 Under 20 list. The list spotlights 20 young LGBTQ people, ages 20 and younger, who are accelerating acceptance of LGBTQ people while shaping the future of media and activism. ...
|NUNN ON ONE Miss Lawrence talks new song, activism and Lee Daniels 2020-06-24|
- Reality-show personality Miss Lawrence has built a diverse career in acting, singing and activism. Growing up in Atlanta, Lawrence pursued hairstyling, which led to owning salons where celebrities such as Bravo's The Real Housewives of Atlanta ...
|Buff Carmichael reflects on his life and downstate activism 2020-05-27|
- In this series, Windy City Times talks with activist Buff Carmichael regarding various issues and life developments. Activist Buff Carmichael has been active in downstate LGBT issues, as well as myriad other progressive causes, since the ...
|Buffalo Grove residents all-in on Pride displays after complaint 2020-05-22|
- A family whose activism was crucial to bringing a Pride parade to suburban Buffalo Grove were admonished by an anonymous neighbor who inferred that their frontward signage was too flamboyant. But supporters have largely pledged to ...