||BE OUR GUEST
by Corey Black
This article shared 1435 times since Wed May 21, 2003
I admit it: I'm crazy for duct tape. I have been ever since I was 11, and that cute Jose Castillo tied me up when we were playing 'Cops & Robbers.' I was impressed. No matter how hard I struggled, I couldn't get loose. As a novice bondage fanatic, the feeling was sheer bliss. From that point, I knew duct tape was the way to go and I had to get some.
Twenty five years have passed, and like any true love, the passion has remained. If I meet a guy I hit it off with, I'll think: 'He's cute, sweet, funny …' but what I'm really thinking is: 'Does he own any duct tape, and would he like to tie me up with it?'
Or, I'll be having serious conversations with my friends about the slow and tedious process of radical gay culture turning into a tacky, overpriced fashion statement. In the back of my head, I'll be thinking: 'Where can I get some of that extra large three-inch-wide duct tape I saw in that art supply store in Tampa, back in 1997 and haven't seen it anywhere since ...?'
Other questions persist as well. Who invented duct tape? Were they a big ol' perv like me, or just an everyday Joe or Jane working in a lab? Are they still alive? If the inventor is a man, would he like a blow job as a show of my appreciation? Why is duct tape silver? And, Why don't they make rolls of fancy, decorative colors as lengthy as the standard silver ones? I mean, several times now, I've been half way through an elaborate bondage scene, trying something decorative and artistic in bright yellow, when the roll runs out, and I have to finish in silver. I'm not the most fashion-conscious gay man on the planet, but even I know that yellow and silver don't go together.
And, I wonder about other things as well. How many people have avoided being stranded in the desert with broken radiator hoses, because of duct tape? How many zillions of things have stayed off the junk heap a little longer because of it? Most importantly, what I really want to know is: how did drag queens used to tuck away their business before duct tape?
I'd love to go on talking, but I see my boyfriend has returned from Home Depot with a fresh roll of Contractor-Grade-Good-Stuff and is slipping into that starched white nurse's outfit he likes so well.
This article shared 1435 times since Wed May 21, 2003
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Jody Watley: Conversation with an icon 2021-05-09|
- Singer Jody Watley has been many things during her illustrious career, including an activist, fashion plate—but, most certainly, a musician. Among her many achievements in that latter area are a Grammy win; a Lifetime Achievement Award ...
|Netflix to debut limited series 'Halston' on May 14 2021-04-23|
- On what would have been legendary fashion designer Roy Halston Frowick's 89th birthday (on April 23), Netflix stated it was honoring the visionary icon by announcing the Friday, May 14, global premiere date for the five-episode ...
|Chella Man talks media endeavors, the fashion world, upcoming book, AAPI visibility 2021-03-31|
- The multi-talented 22-year-old, Deaf, genderqueer, transgender, Jewish, AAPI, artist and activist Chella Man has done more in his short life than most people achieve in their lifetimes. This includes a successful YouTube channel; TedX talk, modeling ...
|STREAMING THEATER REVIEW Bad Dates 2020-08-19|
- Playwright: Theresa Rebeck At: Online. Tickets: $25-$50; OilLampTheater.org. Runs through: Aug. 23 Fashion being an integral element in romantic fiction, we are not surprised to first discover our heroine in her boudoir, readying herself for a ...
|AUTOS 2020 Cadillac XT6 is the stylish transport for you and your posse 2020-08-18|
- Cadillac has long hosted fashion shows with acres of flat sheetmetal, glistening chrome, and cabins drenched with all the finest materials. This once meant block-long sedans, but people aren't buying ...
|STREAMING THEATER REVIEW Bad Dates 2020-08-11|
- Playwright: Theresa Rebeck At: Online. Tickets: $25-$50; OilLampTheater.org . Runs through: Aug. 23 Fashion being an integral element in romantic fiction, we are not surprised to first discover our heroine in her boudoir, readying herself for ...
|BOOKS In fashion: Jay Manuel dishes on 'The Wig, The Bitch & The Meltdown' 2020-08-04|
- Jay Manuel has been many things, including an make-up artist and a creative directorand he is probably best known as taking on the latter role for several years on the reality-competition show America's Next Top Model. ...
SHOWBIZ John Waters, Billy Eichner, 'Trans & Nonbinary Kids Mix,' RuPaul 2020-07-27|
- Gay filmmaker John Waters (Serial Mom; Hairspray) is the latest face of the French fashion brand Saint Laurent, Out.com noted. He appears in a suit from the brand with black shades, shot by David Sims. "My ...
|WORLD Zambia pardon, fashion house, HIV+ mayor, Costa Rica marriage
- Zambia's president pardoned a gay couple sentenced to 15 years in prison in November under colonial-era sodomy laws in a case that caused a diplomatic conflict with the United States, Reuters reported. Japhet Chataba, 39, and ...
|Chicago artists virtually unveil mural honoring LGBTQ community
- CHICAGO, IL — Chicago artists Andy Bellomo and Sandra Antongiorgi have virtually unveiled a new mural that highlights queer artists of color who use their life's work to improve community well-being and create social change. "Rebirth" ...
|Anne Steele, Kelli Carpenter raise funds for meals. Online concert April 29
- Lesbian singer/ songwriter Anne Steele decided to start online concerts to lift the spirts of her fans, friends and family. While playing the "couch concerts" every Wednesday on Facebook Live, her wife, Kelli Carpenter, a travel ...
|NUNN ON ONE TELEVISION Tim Gunn on his new show that's a 'Cut' above 2020-04-24|
- Television personality Tim Gunn continues to take over the world of reality shows with a brand-new offering on Amazon Prime Video called Making the Cut. Many will recognize the openly gay fashion advisor from Project Runway, ...
|Five Worth Finding: From an absorbing memoir to cool socks 2020-04-01|
- Ordinary Girls: A Memoir: In this hard-hitting memoir, Jaquira Diaz writes of struggling with depression and drug abuse while growing into her identity as a queer, biracial girl in Miami and Puerto Rico. And as Diaz ...
|ShOWBIZ 'Drag Race' judges, Dwyane Wade, 'Porgy,' Of Montreal, Cirque du Soleil 2020-02-18|
- RuPaul Drag Race's season-12 guest judges consist of film, music, television, fashion and political figures such as Nicki Minaj, Whoopi Goldberg, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Chaka Khan, Robyn, Leslie Jones, Normani, Jeff ...
|FASHION 2020 Sneaker Gala shares message about local human trafficking 2020-02-17|
- Sneakers brought together fashion enthusiasts at the 2020 Sneaker Gala this year, hosted at Loft on the Lake. The purpose of the fifth annual sneaker ball, however, wasn't just about who won best sneakers that evening. ...