WINDY CITY TIMES
||Annual World AIDS Day fashion show: Strut takes the runway
Special to the online edition of Windy City Times
by Vern Hester
This article shared 5905 times since Thu Dec 3, 2015
On the evening of Nov. 22, John Fleming Jr. and his Mad Man Productions presented Strut, the annual World AIDS Day Fashion Show. The event, now in its seventh year, took place at Alhambra Palace Restaurant, 1240 W. Randolph St., Chicago
Modeled were clothing designs by graduating seniors of two of Chicago's most prestigious art and design schools, Columbia College and The School of the Art Institute of Chicago, and work by designers including Yesenia Villarreal, Eddie Couture, Iridium, Vex Clothing, Compton Quashie, JaJa, Rebecca Blanton, Undergear, Kraig Pieper, Island Furs, PRSVR, and Zach Nie.
With co-sponsorship from Kimberly Mack, The Chicago Center for HIV Elimination at The University of Chicago, The Men of Onyx, and The Chicago House of Chicken and Waffles, this new version of the event was moved to a larger venue from the previous years' Excalibur Night Club.
Dr. John Schneider MD, MPH of The Chicago Center for HIV Elimination, opened the evening with remarks about the breakthrough of PrEP treatment and the need for more HIV testing and treatment on Chicago's south side. He was followed by Kimberly Mack, director of operations for The Chicago Home of Chicken and Waffles, who was also a model in the show.
Fleming created, produced, and started Strut in 2009 as a unique way to acknowledge and promote World AIDS Day. A portion of the proceeds from Strut go to HIV/AIDS service organizations throughout the city.
This article shared 5905 times since Thu Dec 3, 2015
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Billy Porter discusses his fashion choices, personal ambitions 2023-01-30|
- Billy Porter—the Tony, Emmy and Grammy winner—needs no introduction—especially to the many fans of his character Pray Tell on Ryan Murphy's hit TV series Pose. Coming up exclusively in theaters Feb. 3, Porter will star as ...
|WORLD Murder suspect arrested, Israeli official, conversion therapy, couple's win 2023-01-08|
- Kenyan authorities arrested a suspect in the death of fashion designer/LGBTQ+-rights activist Edwin Chiloba after his body was found dumped in a metal box by the roadside near the town of Eldoret, according to CNN. Last ...
|Annual STRUT event shines spotlight on World AIDS Day 2022-12-07|
- On the evening of Nov. 4, the annual STRUT fashion show celebrated its 13th edition at Joe's on Weed St. As in the past, STRUT shined its spotlight on up-and-coming young fashion designers while raising funds for ...
|Chicago History Museum holds special screening, panel discussion 2022-11-07|
- The Costume Council of the Chicago History Museum presented a special screening of the Youtube Originals series Supreme Models: The Documentary and a panel with an array of A-list fashion industry panelists. Among the participants were ...
|Chicago History Museum to host 'Supreme Models' screening Nov. 4 2022-10-19|
- The Costume Council of the Chicago History Museum will host the official Midwest screening of Supreme Models and an exclusive in-person celebration on Friday, Nov. 4, 5:30-9:30 p.m. at The Chicago History Museum, 1601 N. Clark ...
|FashionBar hosting Chicago Fashion Week, PFLAG conference 2022-10-01|
- Fashion Bar announced that it's hosting Chicago Fashion Week. The shows will take place Oct. 16-23 at Water Tower Place, 835 N. Michigan Ave. Additionally, FashionBar will host the. PFLAG Northern Illinois conference at Water Tower ...
|amfAR gala is highlight of Cannes Film Festival, raises $19M 2022-05-28|
- The amfAR gala, the highlight of the famed Cannes Film Festival, returned as a glamorous in-person event May 26 at the Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc in Antibes, France, according to a press release. amfAR, The Foundation for ...
|Chicago Fashion Week taking place April 24-May 1 2022-04-19|
- FashionBar, LLC announced Chicago Fashion Week will take place April 24-May 1 on the third floor of Water Tower Place, 835 N. Michigan Ave. Some of the shows will include "Emerging Students" (April 26), "Trans, Media ...
|Designs for Dignity gala on May 19 2022-04-19|
- Designs for Dignity's annual fundraising gala, "Spirit of Design," will take place Thursday, May 19, 6-10 p.m., and will celebrate more than 20 years of impact on Chicago's nonprofit community. The event will take place at ...
|Chicago Fashion Week April 24 to May 1 2022-04-05|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO — FashionBar, LLC is pleased to announce Chicago Fashion Week powered by FashionBar LLC, scheduled from April 24th to May 1st at Water Tower Place on Chicago's Magnificent Mile. FashionBar is proud to celebrate this ...
|LGBTQIA+-focused talent group launches in Orlando, Chicago and Miami 2022-03-31|
- Orlando-based experiential marketing company, 82 South, Inc., has launched MODE (Made on Diversity and Equality) Talent Group this month to promote LGBTQIA+ and other underrepresented talent for bookings in fashion ...
|NATIONAL Mayor makes history, LGBTQ+ Latinx demo, fashion show, N.C. law 2022-03-20|
- In Florida, Boynton Beach elected its first out LGBTQ mayoras well as the first Asian-American mayor in the state's history, LGBTQ Nation noted. Ty Penserga not only won the election, but he beat a homophobe who ...
|BOOKS Janelle Monae in Chicago April 22 to discuss 'The Memory Librarian' 2022-03-15|
- Singer-songwriter, actor, fashion icon and author Janelle Monae will visit Chicago's Harris Theater for Music and Dance, 205 E. Randolph St., as part of the tour for her new book, The Memory Librarian and Other Stories ...
|ART Virgil Catherine Gallery presenting 'C/Overt Observations' in Hinsdale 2022-03-15|
- Virgil Catherine Galleryat 45 S. Washington St., in Hinsdalewill host an artist reception for its latest exhibition, "C/Overt Observations," on Saturday, March 19, 5-8 p.m., spotlighting renowned art, fashion and ...
|SHOWBIZ Da Brat, French movie, fashion show, Niecy Nash, 'Idol' alum 2022-02-27|
- On Feb. 22, the stars of WE tv's series Brat Loves JudyDa Brat and Jesseca "Judy" Dupartwere married in a romantic wedding ceremony and reception in front of family and friends at Horse Mansion in Fairburn, ...
|WORLD Venezuela code, Oxfam, Bosnia items, 'Brokeback,' Pope Francis|
|NATIONAL 'Don't Say Gay,' anti-trans bills, gay Irish leader visits, gay Calif. mayor|
|SHOWBIZ 'Joy Ride,' Cynthia Erivo, David Bowie, March Madness, Kevin Bacon|
|Iowa, Georgia ban medical treatment for trans minors|
|ALA: 2022 saw record demand of censorship of library books|