|Angela Davis in Chicago
This article shared 3234 times since Thu Apr 1, 2004
INCARCERATION AND DETENTION: RACE AND HUMAN RIGHTS is a forum Friday, April 2, 7 p.m., Assembly Hall, International House, 1414 E. 59th Street, Chicago, with a keynote address by Angela Y. Davis. The forum continues Saturday with panel discussions. Call (773) 702-8063, email@example.com .
This article shared 3234 times since Thu Apr 1, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE
|WTTW doc chronicles the activism of Danny Sotomayor 2023-11-03
- Practically everything the late Chicago AIDS activist Danny Sotomayor did was "a fight." So says fellow activist Victor Salvo in the new WTTW documentary The Outrage of Danny Sotomayor, which is part of the station's Chicago ...
|GAY HISTORY MONTH George Harris reflects on his late husband and Dallas activism 2023-10-10
- Special to Windy City Times. To mark Gay History Month, this article appears courtesy of Dallas Voice and the LGBT History Project. When George Harris and Jack Evans became the first couple to legally marry in ...
|Creating Change Conference calls for proposals, deadline fast approaching 2023-10-09
--From a press release - It's time to submit proposals for the 2024 Creating Change Conference happening in New Orleans, LA, Jan. 17-21, 2024. The Creating Change Conference is expected to draw over 3000 queer and allied activists to join to ...
|Prime minister of Andorra comes out as gay 2023-09-11
- Xavier Espot Zamora, the head of the government of the tiny European country of Andorra, has come out as gay—although he added that he never hid his sexual orientation, according to a translated article from The ...
|SAVOR LGBTQ+-owned Sfera co-owner talks menu, activism and more 2023-08-18
- Sfera Sicilian Street Food (5759 N. Broadway; https://www.sferachicago.com/) is the type of place where you can't help but get good vibes. This cozy Edgewater restaurantowned by Chef Steven Jarczyk and Daniela Vitale, who are both member ...
|Brady-Davis sworn in to new water commissioner post 2023-07-13
- Community members gave a warm welcome to activist Precious Brady-Davis when she was sworn as the newest Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago (MWRD) Commissioner the afternoon of July 12. Brady-Davis was greeted with a ...
|SAVOR Owners of LGBTQ+-owned Wunderkeks talk activism, company and sweets 2023-06-30
- Anyone who considers himself/herself/themself a connoisseur of sweets has probably heard of Wunderkeks, the Austin-based company that has only been in the United States for three years. However, what some may not know is that Wunderkeks ...
|Gay youth pastor from Lake Street Church removed from Baptist World Alliance Commissions 2023-06-22
- A youth pastor at Evanston's Lake Street Church, T.J. Williams, was removed from two global commissions run by the Baptist World Alliance because he's gay, he said. Since 2020, Williams served on the Baptist World Alliance's ...
|PASSAGES: LGBTQ+ advocate Margaret Davis a.k.a. Spencer Ice 2023-06-06
- Bisexual LGBTQ+ advocate and retired University of Chicago auditor Margaret Davis, a.k.a. Spencer Ice, died May 30 after a 14 year battle with cancer. Davis was born on Aug. 3 (she wished not to have ...
|Chef Art Smith talks upcoming dinner and activism 2023-05-26
- More than 6 million Americans are living with Alzheimer's disease, including more than 230,000 Illinoisans. Additionally, more than 11 million family members and friends serve as dementia caregivers, with more than 383,000 caregivers in Illinois. Unti ...
|About Face Theater hosts Leppen Leadership Awards 2023-05-23
- On May 14, About Face Theater presented its Leppen Leadership Awards to members of the LGBTQ+ community for their activism and service. The organization normally awards two individuals a year but decided to expand this year, ...
|MUSIC Billy Porter talks 'Mona Lisa,' authenticity and activism 2023-05-15
- Billy Porter certainly seems to have it all. The actor/singer/director received numerous awards—including two Tonys (for his role in Kinky Boots and as a producer of A Strange Loop), a Grammy (for Kinky Boots as well) ...
|Joseph Kraft: Gay Chicago artist talks activism, stereotypes, love of art 2023-04-20
- Joseph Kraft has been an artist practically all his life. The Illinois native and Ukrainian Village resident's love of art has taken him to many places. His latest big move was more professional than geographical, as ...
|ONYX Midwest forum tackles racist performance at Touche's anniversary party 2023-01-22
- In a response to the racist performance that took place at the leather, fetish and bear-focused Touche Chicago's 45th anniversary celebration on Nov. 1, 2022, ONYX Midwest hosted a community forum Jan. 21 at The Leather ...
|LGBTQ+ HISTORY MONTH bell hooks: A voice of love, activism and intersectionality 2022-10-22
- When bell hooks died on Dec. 15, 2021, it was a gut punch. There was no time when bell hooks' extraordinary writing and feminist and lesbian theorizing was not part of the queer community. There was ...
|NATIONAL Chuck Schumer, anti-marriage bill, drag event back on, military doctor
|Oklahoma non-binary student dies after being assaulted
|SHOWBIZ Kristen Stewart, Rock Hudson, Talia Keys, 'True Detective,' Marvel comic
|911 calls, videos show cascade of failures in Nex Benedict's death, GLAAD responds
|Howard Brown Health Names Robin Gay, DMD as Interim President and CEO