||Angela Davis in Chicago
This article shared 3006 times since Thu Apr 1, 2004
INCARCERATION AND DETENTION: RACE AND HUMAN RIGHTS is a forum Friday, April 2, 7 p.m., Assembly Hall, International House, 1414 E. 59th Street, Chicago, with a keynote address by Angela Y. Davis. The forum continues Saturday with panel discussions. Call (773) 702-8063, email@example.com .
This article shared 3006 times since Thu Apr 1, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|LGBTQ Religious Archives Network holds 'AIDS, Activism and American Christianity' webinar 2022-05-12|
- LGBTQ Religious Archives Network (LGBTQ-RAN) held an "AIDS, Activism and American Christianity: A Conversation" virtual webinar on May 5. The event focused on Christian activism during the height of the HIV/AIDS crisis in the 1980s and ...
|'It Was Vulgar and It Was Beautiful' explores art collective's part in HIV/AIDS activism 2022-04-23|
- In Jack Lowery's book, It Was Vulgar and It Was Beautiful: How AIDS Activists Used Art to Fight a Pandemic, the historian shares how the art collective Gran Fury utilized community-made propaganda to address the HIV/AIDS ...
|VIEWS Trans women passing the torch 2022-01-19|
- I am writing this letter to the editor to compliment Windy City Times on its recent article "Passing the torch: How generations of trans women approach activism, advocacy," by Max Lubbers. The article highlights how the ...
|Passing the torch: How generations of trans women approach activism, advocacy 2022-01-18|
- As part of an older generation of transgender women in Chicago (including icon Gloria Allen), advocate Channyn Lynne Parker knows the work will outlast her. That's why she thinks of advocacy like a marathon, not a ...
|HIV AT 40: Longtime advocate Gregg Gonsalves talks activist roots, Larry Kramer and COVID 2021-12-08|
- When it comes to dealing with HIV/AIDS, few people have been on the front linesin the areas of activism, research and instructionlike Gregg Gonsalves. Gonsalves, a MacArthur fellow, is an expert in policy modeling on infectious ...
|AFC commemorates passing of the HIV decriminalization law with World AIDS Day event Dec. 1 2021-11-24|
--From a press release - The World AIDS Day Community Celebration of the Historic Passage of HB1063, which ended criminal penalties against people living with HIV, will be hosted by AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC). It will also commemorate World AIDS Day ...
|Activist projects names of trans dead on Netflix HQ 2021-11-21|
--From a press release - LOS GATOS — On the Trans Day of Remembrance, the names of trans people who died this year were projected onto Netflix's Silicon Valley headquarters. The words of light were visible from Winchester Boulevard, over the ...
|Combining creativity with consulting, trans-rights activists launch Better World Collaborative 2021-11-04|
- With years of activism behind them, transgender-rights advocates Crispin Torres and Rebecca Kling have sat through countless workshops. But they'd often leave their seats or Zoom calls feeling disappointed. Workshops don't need ...
|Co-founder of LGBTQ Latinx organization reflects after decades of activism 2021-10-12|
- When activist Julio Rodriguez was 5 years old, a teacher forced him to stand up in class and choose another name maybe John, she suggested, since people couldn't pronounce "Julio." By the time he got home, he ...
|"I can't be silent": Michael O'Connor discusses his longtime activism 2021-10-04|
By Kayleigh Padar - Years ago, longtime activist Michael O'Connor heard that some Black legislators in Illinois didn't want to support the Marriage Equality Act because they didn't believe Black people would benefit from same-sex marriage. He decided to prove ...
|Latinx Humanist Alliance, American Humanist Association hosting activism training 2021-09-27|
- The Latinx Humanist Alliance and the American Humanist Association, in partnership with the Midwest Academy, are hosting a virtual grassroots activism 101 training on Friday, Oct. 1, 4-5:30 p.m. CT; and Saturday, Oct. 2, 1-2:30 p.m. ...
|Writer on AIDS activism in the Black church honored 2021-02-10|
--From a press release - The LGBTQ Religious Archives Network (LGBTQ-RAN) honors Dr. Dan Royles with the 2020-21 LGBTQ Religious History Award. The review jury selected Royles' "There Is a Balm in Gilead: AIDS Activism in the Black Church" from among ...
|30 Under 30 Awards 2000-2019 2020-09-30|
- Honoring local LGBTQ people 30 and younger who excelled in entertainment, politics, health, activism, academics, sports and other areas, Windy City Times' 30 Under 30 Awards ceremonies, which started in 2000, were held during Pride Month. ...
|Creating Change Conference to hold Oct. 10 day-long event, "Queering Racial Justice" 2020-09-21|
--From a press release - Sept. 21, 2020….Washington, DC…. The National LGBTQ Task Force and Creating Change will hold a day-long event (12:30 ET to 6:30 ET) exploring how Queer/Trans People of Color (QTPOC) activism is leading the resistance to state ...
|Gerber/Hart fall benefit Sept. 12-13
- The Gerber/Hart Library and Archives fall benefit"Saving LGBTQ History: Archives in a Time of Activism"will take place Sept. 12-13 at the venue, 6500 N. Clark St. On those days, there will be a series of 90-minute ...