||off the cuffs
by TRACY BAIM
This article shared 1520 times since Wed Mar 31, 2004
Join us for Windy City Gay Idol Thursday, April 1 at Closet, an amateur contest where the audience vote counts. Cash prizes to winners every night. two finalists chosen at each prelim, at finals, Grand prize includes $1,000 cash, two American Airlines tickets, Bud Light Mountain Bike, & more. $5 cover, $10 contestant entry fee, sign up at 6 p.m., event starts at 7 p.m., 3325 N. Broadway. But prizes every night! www.WindyCityMediaGroup.com .
Test Positive Aware Network hosts Celebrations of Spring April 1. Guests will sample a variety of premium wines perfect for spring, complimented by foods prepared by Fritz and Zoe Distinctive events. 6-9 p.m., Belloc Lowndes Gallery, 835 W. Washington, (773) 989-9400.
The Public Square sponsors a debate on the future of feminism April 1. Panelists include Eleanor Smeal, Lisa Jervis, creator of Bitch Magazine, Beth Ritchie, head of the African American Studies Department at UIC, and Mary Morten. Visit www.thepublicsquare.org .
Stella Productions presents A Class Act April 2 at Buddies', a female impersonation show. Regina Upright, Tajma Hall, Chanel Exostique, Reina Valentino, and Marilyn Black. 10 p.m., 3301 N. Clark, (773) 743-5772.
Queer As Folk's Hal Sparks attends a Showtime launch for the new QAF season April 2 at Sidetrack.
Windy City Performing Arts hosts a concert April 3 with their own choruses plus Lakeside Pride Symphonic Band, Joel Hall Dancers, HealthWorks Theatre, portion of proceeds to benefit the Center on Halsted; 8 p.m., $15-$24, Anthaeum Theatre, 2936 N. Southport, (312) 902-1500.
This article shared 1520 times since Wed Mar 31, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Mayor Lightfoot, DCASE, dance community designate 2022 the "Year of Chicago Dance" 2022-01-21|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO—In deep partnership with the local dance community, Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot and Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) Commissioner Erin Harkey have designated 2022 as the "Year ...
|Center on Halsted states COVID requirements and is offering free testing [UPDATE] 2022-01-11|
- Center on Halsted, in compliance with the City of Chicago public health order effective Jan. 3, requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination for anyone (ages 5 and older) gathering in its ground-floor lobby area. Other events and ...
|Out actress Kelly McGillis to join flag-football teams in Key West tourney 2021-12-16|
- Teams of women and girls from around the world are to meet for sporting events and activities Jan. 24-31, 2022, during the 30th annual Kelly McGillis Classic International Women's & Girls' Flag Football Championship, according to ...
|World AIDS Day events on tap 2021-11-26|
- World AIDS Day takes place every year on Dec. 1. During this yearwhich marks the 40th anniversary since HIV was officially discoveredhere are some of the events taking place (locally, regionally and nationally) on, before and ...
|EVENTS John Grumpy Co. presenting 'Black Sunday' Nov. 28 2021-11-24|
- John Grumpy Co. is hosting "Black Sunday," which will take place at HVAC Pub, 3530 N. Clark St., on Sunday, Nov. 28, 9 p.m.-2 a.m.. This event will feature celebrity DJ Jamal Smallz. "Black Sunday" will ...
|Local chefs to take part in James Beard series dinner [EVENT POSTPONED]
- [This event has been postponed. A new date will soon be announced.] Chef Cedric Harden, of the River North restaurant River Roast, will participate in the James Beard Foundation's 2021-2022 Taste America culinary series ...
|Andersonville Chamber of Commerce plans holiday shopping events supporting 100+ businesses 2021-11-22|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (November 22, 2021) - The Andersonville Chamber of Commerce (ACC) is pleased to kick-off the holiday season with a festive line-up of neighborhood events encouraging residents and visitors to "shop local" in support of the ...
|Chicago groups to mark Transgender Day of Remembrance 2021-11-11|
- To mark the annual Transgender Day of Remembrance (TDOR)—on Saturday, Nov. 20—some Chicago groups will hold events: —Brave Space Alliance (BSA)—the first Black-led, trans-led LGBTQ+ Center located on the South ...
|National AIDS Memorial to hold World AIDS Day national events Nov. 30 and Dec. 1 2021-11-10|
--From a press release - SAN FRANCISCO (Nov. 9, 2021) — On December 1, the National AIDS Memorial brings three powerful programs to the public for World AIDS Day that offer inspiration, hope, remembrance, and reflection. The programming, free to the ...
|Mayor Lightfoot, DCASE reveal more fall, holiday event details 2021-10-22|
--From a press release - CHICAGOMayor Lori E. Lightfoot and the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) today announced more details for DCASE fall and holiday traditions as Chicago's vital arts and culture scene continues to safely and fully ...
|Five Worth Finding: Harold Washington, volcanic water and more 2021-10-07|
- Mayor Harold Washington's LGBTQ+ legacy: The LGBTQ legacy of late Chicago Mayor Harold Washington (1922-1987) will be discussed as part of a series of events marking his 100th birthday in 2022. This free LGBTQ event will ...
|Filmmakers Bennett Singer, Patrick Sammon talk new documentary Cured 2021-10-07|
- Producer-directors Bennett Singer and Patrick Sammon have created a new LGBTQ documentary: Cured. The film tells the story of the LGBTQ activists, allies and events surrounding the American Psychiatric Association's ...
|Chicago Reader celebrates 50th anniversary 2021-09-28|
--From a press release - The Chicago Reader, a fearless, innovative, and nationally respected media voice in Chicago since 1971, is celebrating its 50th anniversary with a variety of exhibitions, events, and projects. The Chicago Reader's first issue was October 1, ...
|Defend Abortion Access marches/rallies planned across Illinois Oct. 2 2021-09-27|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — A coalition of more than 20 progressive organizations, supporters, and providers of reproductive health care are holding "Defend Abortion Access" events across Illinois on Saturday, October 2, in response to the Texas abortion ban ...
|Chicago's holiday cultural and arts events to reopen for in-person 2021-09-23|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot and the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) today announced DCASE fall and holiday programming as Chicago's vital arts scene continues to safely and fully reopen. In-person holiday ...