WINDY CITY TIMES
||YPC seeks scholarship donations
This article shared 2299 times since Wed Apr 7, 2010
Youth Pride Center ( YPC ) which helps LGBTQ young adults and teenagers of coloris seeking donations to help its students who are attending college or about to enroll.
Individual scholarship donations of $15 or organizational/business scholarships of $100 will be presented to youths in the donors' names at the Renae Ogletree LGBTQ Youth of Color Scholarship Breakfast. The event will take place Saturday, April 17, at 11:45 a.m. at Hyde Park Union Church, 5600 S. Woodlawn. Illinois State Rep. LaShawn Ford will speak on the theme "United We Stand...Together We Can."
Scholarship donations can be made payable to: Youth Pride Center, 1525 E. 55th, Suite 312, Chicago, Ill., 60615.
This article shared 2299 times since Wed Apr 7, 2010
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Fla. students walk out after school board's anti-trans actions 2023-11-29|
- In Florida, hundreds of students at Coconut Creek's Monarch High School held a walkout on Nov. 28 after their principal and several other school officials were reportedly reassigned over a transgender student's participation on the girls ...
|OPINION For LGBTQ+ children, the holidays are often the most challenging time of the year 2023-11-21|
- Holiday time for most of us is a time to spend more time with family and loved ones, but for many children, it is a harsh reminder of their non-acceptance and thus, is all the more difficult as well. ...
|YEPP 'rises' to occasion at fall fundraiser 2023-11-20|
- Members and guests of Youth Empowerment Performance Project (YEPP) gathered Nov. 17 at Chicago Theater Works, 1113 W. Belmont Ave., for the organization's fall fundraiser, Rise Up: Our Celebration of Resistance. The evening marked both the ...
|NATIONAL Bishop removed, business news, Jezebel shutting down, MAP head 2023-11-17|
- Pope Francis removed the bishop of Tyler, Texas—a conservative prelate active on social media who has been a fierce critic of the pontiff, PBS reported. A one-line statement from the Vatican said the pope had "relieved" ...
|Illinois attorney general part of effort against Oklahoma anti-trans youth law 2023-11-16|
--From a press release - Chicago — Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul is opposing a state law in Oklahoma that severely limits the ability of transgender youth to access critical, lifesaving gender-affirming care. Raoul, along with a coalition of attorneys general, ...
|IDHS head Dulce Quintero reflects on making history, being an advocate 2023-11-13|
- Dulce Quintero has always believed in helping people—and decades of doing so has resulted in an especially noteworthy achievement. Recently, Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker appointed Quintero, a member of the Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame, as ...
|Kwame Raoul backs Maryland school board's efforts for LGBTQ+ safety, inclusion 2023-11-01|
--From a press release - Chicago — Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul, as part of a coalition of 19 attorneys general, supported a Maryland board of education's efforts to create a safe and supportive environment for LGBTQ+ children and students. The ...
|WORLD Spirit Day, pope's meeting, conversion therapy, 'Elite' actor, tourism 2023-10-27|
- Spirit Dayan annual observance celebrated every third Thursday of October that is dedicated to taking a stand against bullying and showing support for the LGBTQ+ youthwas marked globally, GLAAD noted. ...
|Ninth Circuit temporarily blocks Idaho restroom ban as court challenge proceeds 2023-10-26|
--From a press release - (Boise, ID, October 26, 2023) — The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit today temporarily blocked enforcement of an Idaho school facilities law that singles out transgender students for discriminatory treatment. The law was ...
|Harlem unveils supportive housing for LGBTQ+ youths, young adults 2023-10-25|
- On Oct. 24, NYC government officials and nonprofit organization leaders held a ribbon-cutting ceremony to celebrate the completion of a housing development in Harlem with services for homeless LGBTQ+ youth and young adults between the ages ...
|Loyola School of Law to present LGBTQ+ Youth Symposium Nov. 4 2023-10-24|
--From a press release - Chicago law firm Matt Cohen and Associates has announced a first-of-its-kind symposium and resource fair for LGBTQ+ youth, families, and allies at Loyola University School of Law. located at 25 E. Pearson Street, Chicago, Illinois, 60611 ...
|OPINION Renewing state's Invest in Kids program is investing in anti-LGBTQ+ hate 2023-10-23|
- In February 2020, Bishop Thomas Paprocki of the Diocese of Springfield warned transgender students in the Diocese's educational system that they "may be expelled from the school" if they live their lives authentically. Lansing Christian School ...
|Police investigating shooting of gender nonconforming Chicagoan 2023-10-20|
- Gender nonconforming Chicagoan Dominic Dupree (also known as Dominic Palace) was shot to death October 13 in his vehicle in Chicago's South Shore neighborhood. They were 25. In an email statement to this publication, the Chicago ...
|NATIONAL White House, school news, LGBTQ+ deaths, Navy petty officer honored 2023-10-13|
- The White House condemned conservative social-media activist Chaya Raichik for ridiculing openly gay Interior Department official Tyler Cherry on the site X (formerly Twitter), describing her posts as "cruel and unacceptable" ...
|Advocates to appeal ruling denying request to temporarily block Oklahoma ban on gender-affirming care 2023-10-06|
--From a press release - OKLAHOMA — The United States District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma has rejected a request from families and a medical provider to temporarily block an Oklahoma law banning gender-affirming medical care for transgender youth ...