WINDY CITY TIMES
||World Premiere of Hedwig Dances Futura November 1,2, and 3, 2018
This article shared 3211 times since Tue Aug 21, 2018
Hedwig Dances choreographer and artistic director Jan Bartoszek has taken the company's 33 years' plus reputation as an interdisciplinary creative force to new heights in her latest collaborative work. Futura applies principles of the Bauhaus modernist art movement to dance. In this new work, Ms. Bartoszek explores how dance shapes, and is shaped by, society, art, architecture, and design in the 21st century. Futura focuses on space, particularly the ideas of confinement and freedom.
Futura premieres Thursday — Saturday, November 1-3, 2018 at 7:30 PM at The Dance Center of Columbia College Chicago, 1306 S. Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois as part of The Dance Center's 2018-19 dance series. Tickets are $24 - $30 and are available online at the Dance Center box office, by phone at 312-369-8330 and online at the Dance Center's revamped website, dance.colum.edu .
Additional events include a Post Performance Conversation on Thursday, November 1, immediately following the performance in the theater and a Pre Performance Talk: Friday, November 2 at 6:30 p.m. at Sherwood Community Music School Recital Hall, 1312 Michigan Avenue. Hedwig Dances will host the BAUHAUS BASH, a closing night fundraiser at PianoForte, 1335 S. Michigan, on Saturday November 3rd, following the final performance. BAUHAUS BASH ticket prices begin at $175 and include a ticket to that evening's dance performance. Advance ticket purchase is required for this special event, and will be available for purchase after August 15 at EVENTBRITE
In Futura, Bartoszek applies core Bauhaus principles such as abstraction, playful thinking, and experimentation to the development of choreography and production elements, the use of 21st century media, and the ways in which performers interact with the audience. Through playful experimentation with her dancers and collaborators, Ms. Bartoszek builds a novel and richly theatrical movement playground threaded with an evocative musical score and a vibrant, colorful visual design.
The dance draws upon Ms. Bartoszek's recent research trip to Germany where she visited the three original sites of the Bauhaus School in Weimar, Dessau, and Berlin. During her travels, she met with historians, researchers, educators, and presenters related to the living Bauhaus movement. Notably, her ongoing discussion with Torsten Blume of Bauhaus Dessau led to an invitation to Hedwig Dances to perform Futura in Germany at the September 2019 celebration of the Bauhaus Centenary in Dessau. Further, they invited Dean Denis Weil of IIT Institute of Design ( ID ) to engage a group of students and faculty to create a prologue for the dance. ID was founded 80 years ago in Chicago as the New Bauhaus by LÃ¡szlÃ" Moholy-Nagy, one of the original Bauhaus masters.
In the creation of this prologue, Bartoszek and Torsten Blume of Bauhaus Dessau will work alongside ID faculty member Jeffrey Mau who will lead strategy and act as prologue project lead/producer, Jason White of Leviathan who will serve as creative director, and several ID students . Weil, Blume and Bartoszek all see this as an exciting way to deepen connections among these Bauhaus centers and explore the varied directions they have taken since their inceptions. They see the joint anniversary celebrations of 80 years for ID and 100 years for Bauhaus in Germany as the perfect vehicle for celebrating their roots and the international impact of Bauhaus design principles in the world.
From a press release
This article shared 3211 times since Tue Aug 21, 2018
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|DANCE Deeply Rooted performing Nov. 3 at the Auditorium Theatre 2023-09-27|
- The Auditorium Theatre, 50 E. Ida B. Wells Dr., is presenting Deeply Rooted Dance Theatera Chicago-based contemporary dance company rooted in traditions of American and African-American dancein a one-night-only performance ...
|Chicago Dancers United raises more than $365K at Dance for Life 2023-08-29|
- Chicago Dancers United (CDU)which supports the health and wellness of Chicago's professional dance communitywelcomed 1,600 people to the 32nd annual Dance for Life on Aug. 19 at Auditorium Theatre, per ...
|Teen suspect arrested in killing of gay dancer 2023-08-05|
- The New York Police Department arrested a suspect in the fatal stabbing of 28-year-old O'Shae Sibley, who was attacked last weekend at a Brooklyn gas station. According to The Advocate, Sibley, a professional dancer, had been ...
|NATIONAL Drag news, HIV-bias lawsuit, Disney, Brittney Griner, gay dancer 2023-08-04|
- Swastika flag-toting neo-Nazis, some of them armed, were at a Wisconsin LGBTQ+ Pride celebration that included a drag show, The Advocate reported. Members of the neo-Nazi extremist group Blood Tribe joined other right-wing hate groups, like ...
|Billy Masters: Cattrall passive-aggressively returns just like that 2023-06-06|
- "I kinda look like a 200-year-old pole dancer now! I don't think that's gonna happen, but thank you anyway." â€”Sylvester Stallone's response when Sherri Shepherd asks if he'll wear his tank top and booty shorts in ...
|ART on THE MART's summer programs include Chicago Black Dance Legacy Project, Pride celebration 2023-05-11|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL â€” ART on THE MART, an innovative digital art project that transforms a Chicago architectural landmark into a larger-than-life canvas, will introduce two new commissions this summer. Building Light, a new projection by Gensler, ...
|South Chicago Dance Theatre to debut 'Memoirs of Jazz' on June 10 2023-05-09|
--From a press release - (May 8, 2023) Through the 1960s and '70s, Jazz in the Alley on Chicago's South Side was a hotbed for jazz and a meeting place for some of the country's prominent musicians, visual artists, poets, activists, ...
|Artemis Singers presents June 10 "Better Times Will Come" Pride Concert and Dance 2023-05-03|
--From a press release - CHICAGOâ”€Artemis Singers, Chicago's lesbian feminist chorus, will present "Better Times Will Come" Pride Concert & Dance, Saturday, June 10, at the Irish American Heritage Center, 4626 N. Knox Ave. ...
|Andersonville Midsommarfest to return June 9-11 in its 57th year 2023-04-30|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (April 27, 2023) â€” The Andersonville Chamber of Commerce (ACC) is pleased to welcome summer with Andersonville Midsommarfest, one of Chicago's oldest and most beloved summer street festivals. Now in its 57th year, the ann ...
|Ballet review: Joffrey's Little Mermaid returns to darker original, a complex reflection on desire 2023-04-27|
- The Little Mermaid Choreographer: John Neumeier; Score: Lera Auerbach. At: Joffrey Ballet at Lyric Opera House, 20 N. Wacker Drive. Tickets: 312-386-8905 or Joffrey.org; $36-$200. Runs through April 30 It's likely that many parents bringing small ...
|House History: World-premiere musical was inspired by the early days of '80s house music 2023-04-18|
- Gay composer Scott Free can rattle off the names of several documentaries celebrating the Chicago origins of house music. This style of electronic dance music was pioneered by Black DJs like Frankie Knuckles and Larry Heard ...
|Christopher Rudd's ballet Touche explores dynamics of gay love 2023-04-10|
- Jamaican-born dance creator Christopher Rudd premieres his powerful choreography for Chicago audiences at the Auditorium Theatre, 50 E. Ida B. Wells Drive, on April 14, 2023. The all-male partnering piece titled Touche is part of the ...
|Chicago Black Dance Legacy Project to present dance concert 'Sans Pareil' 2023-03-14|
--From a press release - Deeply Rooted Dance Theater joins the Chicago Black Dance Legacy Project again to take the stage in a dance concert entitled Sans Pareil—French for "unparalleled," a nod to the Haitian lineage of Chicago's founder, Jean-Baptiste Pointe ...
|SHOWBIZ Little Richard, Indigo Girls, Rodriguez's honor, dance film, Pedro Pascal 2023-03-10|
Video below - Produced by Bungalow Media + Entertainment for CNN Films and HBO Max, in association with Rolling Stone Films, director Lisa Cortes' Sundance opening-night documentary Little Richard: I Am Everything will debut in theaters and on VOD ...
|Keep on Trockin': Ballet Trockadero dances through Chicago Feb. 11 2023-02-10|
- Keep on Trockin': Ballet Trockadero dances through Chicago Feb. 11 By Matt Simonette Performer Duane Gosa admits that going to the ballet can sometimes be intimidating for some audience. But he is quick to reassure that ...
|SHOWBIZ Outfest, Halo, 'Sex Education,' trans singer, 'Doctor Who'|
|NATIONAL Bisexual politicians, DADT, NBJC awards, crimes, Buttigieg|
|WORLD African efforts, HIV in Amsterdam, Donatella Versace, 'The Queen in Me'|
|MUSIC Former 'Idol' finalist Jim Verraros on his new song, Chicago and Kelly Clarkson|
|Support group for LGBT widows and widowers unites members in grief|