WINDY CITY TIMES
||Warhol exhibition to open June 3 at College of DuPage
This article shared 1133 times since Fri May 12, 2023
Following the success of 2021's "Frida Kahlo: Timeless," the Cleve Carney Museum of Art and the McAninch Arts Center at the College of DuPage will open an exhibition of the works of legendary artist/photographer Andy Warhol on June 3. It will run through Sept. 10.
The 10,000-square-foot exhibition will feature 94 works from "Andy Warhol Portfolios: A Life in Pop/Works from the Bank of America Collection" on loan through Bank of America's Art in Our Communities program. The exhibition will also include more than 100 works from the College of DuPage Permanent Art Collection.
The works from "Andy Warhol Portfolios: A Life in Pop/Works from the Bank of America Collection" will include portfolios and individual prints by Warhol, starting with iconic works from the mid-1960s to the series of monoprints Vesuvius (1985). Notable works from the College of DuPage Permanent Art Collection will include Warhol's 1980 screen-printed portrait of Joseph Beuys as well as his iconic "$" (1983).
There will also be plenty of programming. Just a few of the scheduled events include a guest lecture from WARHOL author Blake Gopnik (on June 3); a "Pride Anthems" concert at Lakeside Pavilion (on June 24); a talk with Cleve Carney Museum of Art curator Justin Witte (Aug. 3); the family-friendly "Andy Warhol's 95th Disco Birthday Bash" (Aug. 6); and the lecture "Who Was Valerie Solanas, the Woman Who Shot Andy Warhol?" with College of DuPage Film Chair Professor Brian Brems and Creative Writing Certificate Chair Trina Sotirakoplos (Aug. 24).
Visit www.theccma.org/warhol .
This article shared 1133 times since Fri May 12, 2023
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Chef Art Smith talks upcoming dinner and activism 2023-05-26|
- More than 6 million Americans are living with Alzheimer's disease, including more than 230,000 Illinoisans. Additionally, more than 11 million family members and friends serve as dementia caregivers, with more than 383,000 caregivers in Illinois. Unti ...
|Joy heals: Artist Hannah Sellers's works explore gender, trauma and clothing 2023-05-25|
- Note: This article mentions sexual assault and trauma. Color Club Gallery, 4146 N. Elston Ave., was well-lit by the early evening sun May 18 as the audience gathered for Q & A event that was part ...
|ATTRACTIONS Lose (and find) yourself in The Exhibit House 2023-05-12|
- Walking into Water Tower Place, 835 N. Michigan Ave.) was an experience, for sure. After all, it's not what it used to be. Marshall Field's and its successor, Macy's, are goneas well as scores of other ...
|Chicago Opera Theater announces new General Director Lawrence Edelson 2023-05-12|
--From a press release - May 12, 2023 (Chicago) — After a three-month nationwide search, the Chicago Opera Theater (COT) Board of Directors is pleased to announce that veteran artistic leader and stage director Lawrence Edelson has been named the next ...
|Lyric Opera of Chicago introduces first-ever Artist-in-Residence program with soprano Whitney Morrison 2023-05-11|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (5/11/23) Anthony Freud, General Director, President & CEO of Lyric Opera of Chicago, announced the launch of a new Artist-in-Residence program. Developed by Lyric Unlimited, the company's learning ...
|LAMMY Awards announce host, presenters, special guests for June 9 event 2023-05-04|
--From a press release - New York, NY, May 4, 2023 — Lambda Literary, the nation's premier LGBTQ literary arts organization, announced updates and additions, including host, special guests and more at the upcoming 35th Annual Lambda Literary Awards — aka ...
|LGBTQ+ Intergenerational Dialogue Project hosts first art exhibit at Center on Addison 2023-04-30|
- On April 28, the LGBTQ+ Intergenerational Dialogue Project hosted on opening reception to kick off its first ever art exhibit, Iridescent Footprints: Stories and Glories of Our Lives, at Center on Addison. The exhibition features collaborative ...
|City of Chicago names inaugural Chicago Poet Laureate avery r. young 2023-04-24|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Today, Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot, in partnership with the Chicago Public Library (CPL), the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE), and the Poetry Foundation, proudly named avery r. young as the inaugural ...
|LA LGBT Center's gala raises $1M+; Leslie Jordan among those honored 2023-04-23|
- On April 22, the Los Angeles LGBT Center raised more than $1 million to support its lifeline services and advocacy benefiting the LGBTQ+ community ...
|Joseph Kraft: Gay Chicago artist talks activism, stereotypes, love of art 2023-04-20|
- Joseph Kraft has been an artist practically all his life. The Illinois native and Ukrainian Village resident's love of art has taken him to many places. His latest big move was more professional than geographical, as ...
|EXPO Chicago wraps up 10th-anniversary edition 2023-04-20|
- EXPO Chicago: The International Exposition of Contemporary and Modern Art concluded its 10th anniversary edition on April 16. Approximately 32,000 visitors viewed and/or purchased works by more than 80 curators ...
|Queer Art's Illuminations Grant to recognize Black trans visual artists 2023-04-18|
--From www.queer-art.org - The Queer|Art Illuminations Grant for Black Trans Women Visual Artists sheds light on the under-recognized contributions of Black trans women visual artists and provides critical support to their continuing work. The application period is open for ...
|Arts Alliance Illinois encourages creatives to apply for $50M in grants for pandemic losses 2023-04-18|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Arts Alliance Illinois is encouraging creatives across the state to apply for the B2B Arts (Illinois Creative Recovery) Grant, a historic $50 million in grant money being distributed by the Illinois Department of Commerce ...
|City of Chicago, DCASE announce 2023 Millennium Park Summer Season 2023-04-17|
--From a press release - City of Chicago and DCASE Announce 2023 Millennium Park Summer Season April 13, 2023 Free Concerts, Films, Workouts and More at the Midwest's #1 Attraction DCASE Communications email@example.com Download Photos ...
|Local artists bring new works to Center on Halsted 2023-04-11|
- As part of its omnibus art gallery showing, Center on Halsted presented an opening reception for works by artists Jim McNamee and Rossa Crean. The showing took place on April 7 on the Center's second and ...