WINDY CITY TIMES
||Virtual Town Hall on Cook County budget Oct. 23
--From a press release
This article shared 2063 times since Wed Oct 21, 2020
SCHAUMBURG, Ill. October 21, 2020 Cook County Commissioner Kevin B. Morrison will host a live Virtual Town Hall discussing the Cook County 2021 Budget on Friday at 1:30 p.m. He will be joined by Cook County Budget Director Annette Guzman. The discussion will include an overview of the FY2021 Cook County Budget and how Cook County has presented a balanced budget despite a historic budget gap due to COVID-19. Commissioner Morrison and Director Guzman will also discuss the meaningful investments made toward equity and racial justice at Cook County in light of a national reckoning this summer. The town hall will be live streamed on Commissioner Morrison's Facebook page.
"COVID-19 has devastated our local communities economically. I'm grateful for President Preckwinkle's leadership in closing a historic budget gap due to the pandemic and not raising taxes on our constituents during this difficult time. We have a lot of hard work ahead of us to recover as a county from COVID-19, but this budget allows us to continue to offer vital services to our residents. I'm especially proud of the $80 million of new investments in an equity fund that will help fund community-based programs and services to bring greater racial equity to Cook County," said Commissioner Morrison.
Budget Director Annette Guzman adds, 'At a time of immense pressure on budgets at all levels of governments due to decreased revenues resulting from COVID-19, the County has worked hard to put forward a budget that doesn't increase taxes, addresses the pandemic fallout, preserves essential services while also making millions of dollars in new economic development and criminal justice reform investments.'
The Budget Virtual Town Hall is free and open to the public. Residents are encouraged to submit questions beforehand to bit.ly/2ynnt9P or District15@cookcountyil.gov . For more information, contact ( 847 ) 519-7674 or email District15@CookCountyIL.gov .
The Budget Virtual Town Hall will take place Friday, Oct. 23, 2020 at 1:30 p.m. on Facebook Live, bit.ly/357BAMy .
About Cook County Commissioner Kevin B. Morrison:
Cook County Commissioner Kevin B. Morrison represents the 15th District which includes the Townships of Barrington, Elk Grove, Hanover and Schaumburg, as well as parts of Palatine and Wheeling Townships. A native of Elk Grove Village with a background in public service, Commissioner Morrison serves as Vice Chair of the Human Relations and Tax Delinquency committees and his core issues include improving access to mental health services and providing development opportunities and support for small businesses. For information, please contact the Commissioner's office by calling ( 312 ) 603-6388 or visiting commissionerkevinbmorrison.org/ .
This article shared 2063 times since Wed Oct 21, 2020
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Hastert settles sexual-abuse lawsuit 2021-09-16|
- Days before a trial was set to begin, former U.S. House Speaker Dennis Hastert reached a tentative settlement in a hush-money lawsuit filed by a man whose decades-old sexual-abuse allegations led to the politician's downfall six ...
|Now, only five of Chicago's 50 aldermen reject automatic pay raises 2021-09-16|
- Forty-five out of 50 Chicago aldermen have opted to accept a 5.5% pay increase in 2022 that will push the highest paid among them to an annual salary of more than $130,000, according to The Chicago Tribune. ...
|Chicago alderman apologizes for 'offensive words' 2021-09-15|
- Jim Gardiner, alderman of Chicago's 45th Ward, apologized during the Sept. 14 Chicago City Council meeting for his "offensive words" but said he "never acted on any of those rants" in which he appeared to call ...
|Gov. Pritzker signs transformative energy legislation for Illinois 2021-09-15|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Delivering on principles previously laid out, Governor JB Pritzker signed landmark legislation into law that puts the state on a path toward 100% clean energy, invests in training a diverse workforce for the jobs ...
|Gavin Newsom wins Calif. recall election 2021-09-15|
- On Sept. 14, California Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom defeated a GOP-backed effort to remove him from office, media outlets reported. Speaking from Sacramento, Newsom thanked Californians for rejecting the recall effort, according to CNN.com. He also ...
|Catholic theologians urge protections for LGBTQ+ people 2021-09-14|
- More than 750 of the nation's leading Catholic theologians, church leaders, scholars, educators and writers have joined New Ways Ministry in voicing support for nondiscrimination protections for LGBTQ people, according to a New Ways press release. ...
|'Homophile' organization New Gay Liberation Front launches 2021-09-13|
- The New Gay Liberation Frontwhich described itself in a press release as a "homophile organization"has launched. "Homophile" is a term that was used by some gay and lesbian groups in the 1950s. According to the University ...
|NATIONAL Teachers, GLAAD talks HRC, 9/11 items, Dr. Rachel Levine 2021-09-12|
- In North Carolina, a former teacher won a lawsuit against Charlotte Catholic High School and the Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte after he lost his job following an announcement on Facebook that he planned to marry ...
|WORLD False report, Indian activist dies, fashion exhibit, LGBT Awards 2021-09-12|
- In Spain, a man who claimed eight hooded men carved an anti-gay slur on his butt using a knife in a horrific hate crime later said the act was consensual, according to out.com. According to police ...
|Lightfoot attends 'Parade of Hearts' public-art installation series launch 2021-09-09|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (September 8, 2021) The Love, Unity & Values (LUV) Institute, a Chicago non-profit, unveiled a new series of neighborhood art installations Sept. 8 to launch the Parade of Hearts, an initiative to commemorate the ...
|HRC fires its president, Alphonso David 2021-09-07|
- On Sept. 6, the national LGBTQ+ organization the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) fired its president, Alphonso David, for advising now-former New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) during his sexual-harassment scandal ...
|Afghan LGBTQs in peril, with little help in sight 2021-09-06|
- Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of LGBT Afghan citizens, who dared to take modest steps toward living openly when their country was under the occupation and influence of a more tolerant "western culture," are now literally hiding in ...
|HRC president refuses to resign, despite co-chairs' reported request 2021-09-06|
- Alphonso David, the president of the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), has refused to resign in the midst of controversyeven after the organization's co-chairs reportedly requested that he do so. According to NBC New York, David is ...
|LGBTQ+ exhibit removed from Missouri Capitol 2021-09-05|
- Kansas City Sen. Greg Razer, the only openly gay member of the Missouri Senate, demanded an explanation after an exhibit on the LGBTQ+-rights movement in Kansas City was removed from the state Capitol (in Jefferson City) ...
|NATIONAL Calif. bill, lawsuits, Billy Porter, 'Southern LGBTQ Experiences' 2021-09-05|
- The California legislature okayed a bill that would launch a pilot program to better track the gender identity and sexual orientation of victims of fatal violence, Gay City News noted. Under AB 1094, or the Sexual ...