WINDY CITY TIMES
||Victory Fund endorses gubernatorial candidates; could triple LGBTQ representation
From a press release
This article shared 392 times since Tue Nov 14, 2017
Washington, DC — Today Victory Fund, the only national organization dedicated to electing LGBTQ leaders to public office, endorsed three candidates in their races for governor — with the potential to triple the number of LGBTQ governors in the nation in 2018. The endorsees include Oregon Governor Kate Brown, the first openly LGBTQ elected governor in U.S. history who is up for reelection; Representative Jared Polis, who would become the first openly LGBTQ governor in Colorado; and Maryland state Senator Rich Madaleno, who would become the first openly LGBTQ governor in his state.
"Just one week ago LGBTQ candidates shattered lavender ceilings and broke down barriers across the nation — and we are fired up and determined to expand on those historic victories in 2018," said Aisha C. Moodie-Mills, President & CEO of Victory Fund. "Oregon Governor Kate Brown remains the only openly LGBTQ person ever elected governor in the United States. But with wins for her, Representative Jared Polis in Colorado, and state Senator Rich Madaleno in Maryland, we can triple LGBTQ representation in the governors' mansions next year. While it is essential and groundbreaking to have three outstanding LGBTQ candidates running for governor, we know their focus is on improving the lives of residents in their home states. We are thrilled to endorse these three constituent-focused gubernatorial candidates in their 2018 races — and Victory Fund will get to work on their behalf starting now."
Moodie-Mills also released individual statements about Victory Fund's endorsements of Oregon Governor Kate Brown, Representative Jared Polis and Maryland state Senator Rich Madaleno. As endorsed gubernatorial candidates, Victory Fund will provide campaign, fundraising and communications support throughout their run for office. All three candidates were endorsed by Victory Fund in previous elections.
Since 1991, Victory Fund has helped thousands of openly LGBTQ candidates win local, state and federal elections.
This article shared 392 times since Tue Nov 14, 2017
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Ald. Maria Hadden encourages community to be active participants 2021-10-18|
By Cris Villalonga-Vivoni - AIt was Chicago Ald. Maria Hadden's friends who convinced her to run for city council as the 49th Ward's alderperson. Originally from Columbus, Ohio, Hadden moved to Rogers Park 20 years ago after graduating from The ...
|Lightfoot, Chicago to celebrate WNBA champion Chicago Sky Oct. 19 with parade, rally 2021-10-18|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — The City of Chicago will celebrate the 2021 WNBA Champion Chicago Sky on Tuesday, Oct. 19, with a downtown parade and rally. The parade will begin at 11AM when the team departs from Wintrust ...
|Colin Powell dies from COVID-19 complications 2021-10-18|
- Colin Powellthe first Black U.S. secretary of state, whose leadership in several Republican administrations helped shape the country's foreign policy in the last years of the 20th century and the early years of the 21stdied from ...
|WORLD Plus magazine, The Guardian, Dutch princess, anti-trans ruling 2021-10-17|
- The largest circulated HIV publication in the country, Plus, unveiled its 25 Amazing People of the Year, per a press release. Just a few of the individuals are actor Billy Porter; Mandisa Nikita Dukashe: South African ...
|Activists speak about former Chicago Mayor Harold Washington's LGBTQ legacy 2021-10-14|
by Max Lubbers - LGBTQ+ advocates reflected on former Chicago Mayor Harold Washington's legacy at Center on Halsted Oct. 13, discussing his role in the city's Human Rights Ordinance and outreach to the LGBTQ+ community. A display of 1980s Windy ...
|Rosa Escareno named interim head of Chicago Park District 2021-10-13|
- Former Chicago Department of Business Affairs and Consumer Protection (BACP) Commissioner Rosa Escareno has been named the interim general superintendent and CEO of the Chicago Park District. In an Oct. 13 statement, Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot ...
|President Biden appoints Debra Shore to key EPA position 2021-10-12|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — Today President Joe Biden appointed former LGBTQ Victory Institute board chair Debra Shore to be the next Region Five Administrator for the Environmental Protection Agency — representing six states in the Midwest and ...
|WORLD Japan politics, video games, lesbian tennis player, Mr. Gay World 2021-10-10|
- LGBTQ+-rights activists were hoping Japan would finally allow same-sex marriage if Taro Kono, who has publicly supported same-sex marriage, became the country's next prime minister—but their hopes were dashed. Japan's ...
|Chicago Park CEO resigns amid sexual-harassment scandal 2021-10-10|
- On Oct. 9, Chicago Park District CEO and General Superintendent Michael P. Kelly announced his resignation amid a controversy over sexual harassment and abuse, WGN-TV reported. Kelly released a statement to the public and Board President ...
|Activist Rick Garcia seeks to be MWRD commissioner 2021-10-09|
- Longtime LGBTQ- and human-rights activist Rick Garcia announced he is running for the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District (MWRD), and has asked Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker to appoint him to the seat Debra Shore is vacating to ...
|Homophobic comments from N.C. lieutenant governor surface 2021-10-08|
- Controversy is swirling around North Carolina Lt. Gov. Mark Robinson after video surfaced of what he said at a June event, according to ABC11.com. There's no reason anybody anywhere in America should be telling any child ...
|Toni Preckwinkle addresses security incidents 2021-10-08|
- Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle released a statement regarding two recent situations connected with her security detail. "In the past few months, there have been two separate incidents when members of my Executive Detail have ...
|Report: Debra Shore to run EPA's Midwest operations 2021-10-07|
- Debra Shore—a longtime commissioner of the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District and member of the LGBTQ+ community—will be selected to run Midwest operations for the Environmental Protection Agency, according to Politico. ...
|Report: Older LGBTQs lack access to healthcare, financial security, caregiving 2021-10-05|
--From a press release - Chicago — LGBTQ older adults across Illinois are struggling to get the healthcare, financial security and caregiving support they desperately need, according to a new report from AARP Illinois and SAGE released today. The disparities, outlined ...
|"I can't be silent": Michael O'Connor discusses his longtime activism 2021-10-04|
By Kayleigh Padar - Years ago, longtime activist Michael O'Connor heard that some Black legislators in Illinois didn't want to support the Marriage Equality Act because they didn't believe Black people would benefit from same-sex marriage. He decided to prove ...