WINDY CITY TIMES
This article shared 4505 times since Thu Apr 2, 2015
On March 31, the Underground nightclub hosted a benefit for the Frankie Knuckles Foundation, marking exactly a year since the passing of the Grammy-winning DJ. Complimentary appetizers and Bacardi drinks were provided while guests danced to house-inspired tunes from DJ Lady D for two hours.
The idea for the movie titled The Warehouse was officially launched that evening to celebrate the Godfather of House Music's legacy. Originally planned as a documentary, the feature film is slated to have Bob Teitel of Barbershop and Men of Honor fame producing, as he collaborates with Billy Dec from Rockit Ranch, Randy Crumpton from The Truth, and Joe Shanahan owner of Metro, Double Door and Smart Bar.
Frankie Knuckles Foundation Executive Director Frederick Dunson was on hand to announce that the first major endeavor of the new organization will be a joint venture between the foundation and local artist Theaster Gates, with his Rebuild Foundation. Rebuild will manage Knuckles' complete record collection at the Stony Island Arts Bank opening this October. Dunson spoke to Windy City Times that evening, saying, "We are going to support the causes that Frankie supported, AIDS awareness and prevention, diabetes, LGBT youth, and music in schools, all the things that were dear to his heart. We want Frankie to be remembered for his love, generosity, and kind spirit."
Dec has created Elston Films to produce more Chicago-made movies such as this one. "This is a team effort with the owner of The Warehouse Robert Williams and Frederick Dunson," Dec said. "I'm very excited about working with Randy Crumpton, who had this idea for many years before this. He brought us all together and wanted to make this movie to tell the story of The Warehouse when Frankie was alive."
Knuckles died of Type II diabetes complications at age 59 in 2014. All of the proceeds from the Underground event went to his foundation. Visit the donation page at thefkfoundation.org .
Photos and text by Jerry Nunn
This article shared 4505 times since Thu Apr 2, 2015
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Logan Center Bluesfest to include Shemekia Copeland, avery r. young 2021-07-28|
- This year, the Third Logan Center Bluesfest will take place Oct. 15-17. It will be a hybrid model with a series of intimate concerts, conversations and special events in which select programming is offered in-person, at ...
|TRUE CONFESSIONS: JOHN WESLEY HARDING 2000-11-22|
SINGER DISCUSSES HIS MUSIC, BISEXUALITY AND MORE - John Wesley Harding performs at Schuba's Nov. 26 The buzz about The Confessions of St. Ace (Mammoth), John Wesley Harding's new album, begins long before "Humble Bee," the opening track. Praised as Wes's best album, you ...
|Rapper DaBaby defends anti-gay comments 2021-07-27|
- Rapper DaBaby addressed his recent controversial comments at the Rolling Loud music festival in Miami—and drew the ire of many on social media, CNN.com noted. During the performance, he made false and insulting comments about gay ...
|SHOWBIZ Script contest, LGBTQ film, Lady Gaga, Showtime, out sprinter 2021-07-25|
- GLAAD and The Black List—the writer-centric entity whose work includes its annual list, screenplay marketplace, writer labs, and film and television productions—announced plans for The 2021 GLAAD List, the third ...
|Market Days performers include Jody Watley, Todrick Hall, Steve Grand 2021-07-23|
- Northalsted Market Days—taking place Aug. 6-8—will feature a star-studded line-up. Just some of the performers slated to entertain are icon Jody Watley ("Looking for a New Love"), Todrick Hall, Steve ...
|Ravinia to unveil 'Bernstein's Answer' immersive theater experience 2021-07-23|
--From a press release - HIGHLAND PARK, ILOn Saturday, August 7, the Ravinia Festival and Jeffrey P. Haydon, its President and CEO, will officially unveil the Ravinia Music Box (RMB) and its immersive theater experience, titled Bernstein's Answer, and fully open ...
|MUSIC 'I'm Every Woman: Divas Through the Decades' on Aug. 2 2021-07-20|
- LGBTQ+ party organization Slo 'Mo: Slow Jams for Queer Fam is celebrating its 10th anniversary with "Slo 'Mo Presents: I'm Every Woman: Divas Through the Decades with Akenya & Friends" on Monday, Aug. 2, at Millennium ...
|SHOWBIZ Ben Whishaw, non-binary actor, Cardi B, Obama, 'Grease' prequel 2021-07-18|
- Out actor Ben Whishaw stars in the film Surge, which will debut Sept. 24 and On Demand, a press release announced. Whishaw portrays Joseph, who is trapped in a soulless job, living a life devoid of ...
|MOVIES 'In the Heights' available as soon as July 30 2021-07-14|
- The 2021 musical film In the Heights will arrive on 4K, Blu-ray and DVD on Aug. 31. However, it will arrive for Premium Digital Ownership at home on July 30. The film is directed by Jon M. Chu (Crazy Rich Asians) ...
|American Blues to present 'The Great American (and French) Songbook' 2021-07-12|
- On Friday, July 16, American Blues Theater, under the continued leadership of Artistic Director Gwendolyn Whiteside, will present The Great American (and French) Songbook, performed by Suzy Petri and guests as part of its music series ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Pray Away,' film contest, LGBTQ book, musicians, 'Star Trek' 2021-07-11|
- The new Netflix Original Documentary Pray Away, from executive producers Ryan Murphy and Jason Blum, will make its global launch on the platform Aug. 3, a press release noted. In the film, former leaders of the ...
|AIDS ballet movie coming to Chicago on July 16 2021-07-07|
- The movie Can You Bring It: Bill T. Jones and D-Man in the Waters will open Friday, July 16, in virtual cinemas in Chicago at Gene Siskel Film Center and Music Box Theatre. "Can You Bring It"co-directed by Rosalynde LeBlanc and ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Hedwig,' Oscars, Demi Lovato, GLAAD, Stevie Nicks 2021-07-04|
- Following 2019's sold-out, three-night engagement at The Town Hall in New York City (and several postponements in 2020), Hedwig and the Angry Inch co-creators John Cameron Mitchell and Stephen Trask are returning with a rock spectacle ...
|Move your body! "House City" music series starts Sunday 2021-07-03|
- "House City" (kicking off July 4) is a new, 10-part series of free events popping up throughout the summer in the neighborhoods that helped create the House music genre over 35 years ago. DJ Jes, El ...
|PrideArts 2021-22: "The Search for Identity Among Queer Communities" 2021-07-01|
- CHICAGO — An Australian musical, a comedy-drama from the writer whose play was adapted as the hit movie JUDY, an Uptown holiday celebration, a new Ruth Bader Ginsberg bio, and a fifth play to be announced, ...