WINDY CITY TIMES
||UN music video for gay rights Exceeds One Million Views
From a press release
This article shared 4378 times since Tue Jul 15, 2014
NEW YORK CITY, USA — A Bollywood-inspired United Nations music video with a message of gay acceptance has rapidly become one of the most watched UN videos of all time. "The Welcome", released on 30 April 2014 as part of the UN's ongoing Free & Equal campaign, has been watched by more than a million people on the video-sharing site YouTube. To view the video, visit: www.unfe.org/the-welcome.
The two-and-a-half minute video stars Indian actress Celina Jaitly, who last year was nominated by the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights as a "UN equality champion" in recognition of her support for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender ( LGBT ) equality. Jaitly makes her musical debut in the video, singing a new version of the 1979 Bollywood classic, Uthe Sab Ke Kadam. The song was recomposed and remixed by Neeraj Shreedhar of the Bombay Vikings, and produced in association with the music company Saregama India. The video's dance sequences were choreographed by Longi ( Slumdog Millionaire ) — who worked on the project pro bono. The concept for the video was developed by creative agency Curry Nation.
Commenting on reaching the one million mark, Charles Radcliffe, Chief of Global Issues at the UN Human Rights Office said: "For the UN, using a Bollywood tune to advocate for human rights is a novel approach that's paid off. Already more than a million people have watched "The Welcome" online and millions more on TV at a time when lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender rights are being debated around the world. The video's message of love, family and acceptance could not be timelier. We are enormously grateful to everyone who worked for free to create this video, especially our starring Equality Champion Celina Jaitly."
"It has been an honour for me to partner with the UN and contribute my musical debut to this cause, which has been a very important part of my life as an activist for LGBT rights," said Jaitly. "With this video, we wanted to encourage people to pause and reflect on the way a young couple are received by their friends and family. I have been overwhelmed by the positive response it's been generating, including from many gay people in Asia who tell me they have shown it to their own parents, or to their brothers and sisters, friends and co-workers. Change often begins with difficult conversations and this was our attempt to bring forth a difficult conversation in a wonderful light hearted way through the universal language of music."
The Free & Equal campaign aims to raise awareness of homophobic and transphobic violence and discrimination, and encourage greater respect for the rights of LGBT people. The campaign, which had its global launch in South Africa in July 2013, is led by the UN Human Rights Office and has strong backing from UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. The campaign also benefits from the support of a several celebrity UN Equality Champions — including South African singer and "Princess of Africa" Yvonne Chaka Chaka, American hip hop duo Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Puerto Rican pop star Ricky Martin, Bollywood actress Celina Jaitly, Brazilian singer Daniela Mercury, and members of the U.S. band fun.
In December 2011, the UN Human Rights Office published the first official UN report on violence and discrimination against LGBT persons. The report documented widespread human rights abuses. More than 76 countries still criminalize consensual, same-sex relationships, while in many more discrimination against LGBT people is widespread — including in the workplace and in the education and health sectors. Hate-motivated violence, including physical assault, sexual violence, and targeted killings, has been recorded in all regions.
For further information and media requests, please contact:
Jackie Yodashkin, Purpose Foundation: +1 415-878-6391/ firstname.lastname@example.org .
Follow the Free & Equal campaign on social media:
Facebook: www.facebook.com/free.equal .
Twitter: www.twitter.com/free_equal .
Learn more about the Free & Equal campaign at www.unfe.org .
Free & Equal is an initiative of the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights ( OHCHR ) implemented in partnership with the Purpose Foundation — a leader in building global, social media-driven campaigns on human rights-related issues.
This article shared 4378 times since Tue Jul 15, 2014
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Being BeBe documents life of first RuPaul's Drag Race winner 2023-03-27|
- On the evening of March 9, the Block Museum of Art at Northwestern University presented a screening of Emily Branham's documentary Being BeBe, the story of Nea Marshall Kudi Ngwa, a.k.a. Benet, the first winner of ...
|WORLD Venezuela code, Oxfam, Bosnia items, 'Brokeback,' Pope Francis 2023-03-25|
- Venezuela's Supreme Court annulled a controversial part of the military justice code that had criminalized same-sex relations within the armed forces, the outlet Punch noted. The court annulled the provision, which had provided for a penalty ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Joy Ride,' Cynthia Erivo, David Bowie, March Madness, Kevin Bacon 2023-03-25|
Video below - The first trailer for the upcoming comedy Joy Ride has been released, Out noted. The movie stars Ashley Park, queer Oscar nominee Stephanie Hsu (Everything Everywhere All At Once), bisexual comedian Sherry Cola (Good Trouble) and ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Black Adam,' Cyndi Lauper, Sondheim, Oscars, OutFest 2023-03-18|
- Cultured Magazine recently profiled Quintessa Swindellwho became the first out, non-binary actor to play a lead superhero in the DC universe when they portrayed Cyclone in the 2022 movie Black Adam. Swindell grew up in Virginia ...
|SHOWBIZ Little Richard, Indigo Girls, Rodriguez's honor, dance film, Pedro Pascal 2023-03-10|
Video below - Produced by Bungalow Media + Entertainment for CNN Films and HBO Max, in association with Rolling Stone Films, director Lisa Cortes' Sundance opening-night documentary Little Richard: I Am Everything will debut in theaters and on VOD ...
|Billy Masters: Raunchier Uncoupled on the rebound with Showtime 2023-03-06|
- "I never liked when she did this in concerts either. I don't like when females are overly sexualized in art. It degrades and objectivy's [sic] women in a way that's not healthy." TJ Jackson on reports ...
|SHOWBIZ Wanda Sykes, Jonas Brothers, 'Queen of Versailles,' 'Bloodshed' 2023-03-04|
Adam Lambert video below - Award-winning comedian Wanda Sykes' new comedy special, I'm An Entertainer, will premiere globally on Netflix on May 23, a press release announced. The special, directed by Linda Mendoza, was filmed in early February 2023 at Philadelphia's ...
|Queerties honor LGBTQ+ creatives at Feb. 28 event 2023-03-01|
- The 11th Annual Queerties Awardswhich recognizes LGBTQ+ creators, tastemakers, storytellers and newsmakerstook place Feb. 28 at Eden Sunset in Los Angeles. Hosted by drag comedian Bianca Del Rio, the ceremony ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Bob's Burgers,' P!nk, sports items, Billy Porter, Ben Platt 2023-02-24|
- Animated sitcom Bob's Burgers marked another major milestone with its 250th episode. Gay actor/comedian/musician John Roberts (who voices Linda Belcher) talked with Queerty and said that one of the most important lessons he's learned from ...
|'Everything' sweeps The Society of LGBTQ Entertainment Critics 14th Dorian Film Awards 2023-02-23|
--From a press release - GALECA,The Society of LGBTQ Entertainment Critics, has named A24's fantastical and affecting family relationship drama Everything Everywhere All at Once 2022's Film of the Yearand then somein its 14th Dorian ...
|At 'FIRST(ISH)' Sight: Producer Ashley Flowers speaks on 'honest' representation 2023-02-22|
- Ashley Flowers—a producer, co-creator and actor in the short film First(ish) Date, now in pre-production—wears many creative hats. She also has an extensive resume working with stage and film props as well; Flowers has been working ...
|SHOWBIZ Black queer films, Janet Jackson, Paramore, WNBA, GALECA contest 2023-02-19|
- Queerty ran a piece on 10 films that celebrate Black queer love. Some of them include The Skinny (with Jussie Smollett), Dee Rees' movie Pariah, the Oscar-winning Moonlight, the Marlon Riggs classic Tongues Untied, Brother to ...
|Goran Stolevski grows up fast with Of an Age 2023-02-14|
- Openly gay filmmaker Goran Stolevski is a triple threat: He handled directing, writing and editing chores for his new project, Of an Age, which Focus Features is now distributing. The film is already taking home trophies ...
|SHOWBIZ Isaac Mizrahi, Viola Davis, Laura Jane Grace, Elton John, GLAAD 2023-02-11|
- On Sherri Shepherd's talk show, entertainer/fashion designer Isaac Mizrahi said he'd love for out actor Dan Levy to portray him in a potential biopic based on Mizrahi's memoir, I.M., The Wrap noted. "Dan Levy, OK," Mizrahi ...
|SHOWBIZ Jerrod Carmichael, Alan Cumming, Andre Leon Talley, AIDS drama 2023-02-05|
- Openly gay stand-up comic and recent Golden Globes host Jerrod Carmichael is set to star in a comedy documentary series for HBO, according to Entertainment Weekly. The yet-untitled series will center on Carmichael's personal life, following ...
|WORLD Venezuela code, Oxfam, Bosnia items, 'Brokeback,' Pope Francis|
|NATIONAL 'Don't Say Gay,' anti-trans bills, gay Irish leader visits, gay Calif. mayor|
|SHOWBIZ 'Joy Ride,' Cynthia Erivo, David Bowie, March Madness, Kevin Bacon|
|ALA: 2022 saw record demand of censorship of library books|
|Michaela Jae Rodriguez honored at HRC dinner|