||Thompson to Head Global AIDS Fund
by REX WOCKNER
This article shared 4445 times since Sat Mar 1, 2003
U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Tommy Thompson was elected chair of the Geneva-based Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria Jan. 31. The surprise announcement followed President George W. Bush's surprise pledge in his State of the Union address to ask Congress for $10 billion in new funding to fight AIDS overseas in the next five years, which is triple previous U.S. spending.
'The United States is committed to the fight against global AIDS and proud to partner with the Global Fund, with our allies, and with every man, woman and child on this planet as we seek to end this plague,' Thompson said.
Thompson was the target of aggressive protests at last summer's International AIDS Conference in Barcelona. Raucous demonstrators chanted, blew whistles and shouted, completely drowning out his speech to delegates.
The protesters accused the Bush administration of failing to give its fair share to the Global Fund; shortchanging the U.S. AIDS Drug Assistance Program; blocking needle-exchange programs; attacking science-based prevention programs; and overemphasizing the unrealistic promotion of abstinence.
This article shared 4445 times since Sat Mar 1, 2003
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Gilead: Patients received fake HIV drugs 2022-01-20|
- Gilead Sciences Inc said an unauthorized network of drug distributors and suppliers sold pharmacies more than $250 million of counterfeit versions of its HIV treatments over the last two years, endangering patients, Reuters reported. The drugmaker ...
|AIDS Foundation Chicago cancels World of Chocolate due to COVID-19 surge 2022-01-19|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO — AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) has made the difficult decision to cancel its World of Chocolate event, the organization's largest winter fundraiser, due to the recent Omicron surge across ...
|NATIONAL California report, AIDS foundation CEO, QueerArt, intersex bill 2022-01-09|
- California law enforcement officials conduct body searches on Black and transgender people more often than on white and cisgender people, according to a new report from California's Racial and Identity Profiling Advisory (RIPA) Board, LGBTQ Na ...
|FDA approves injectable PrEP 2021-12-24|
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved Apretude (cabotegravir extended-release injectable suspension) for use in at-risk adults and adolescents weighing at least 77 pounds for pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) to ...
|World of Chocolate fundraiser returns Feb. 11, benefits AIDS Foundation Chicago 2021-12-20|
--From a press release - After a two-year hiatus, AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) is proud to announce the return of its famed World of Chocolate fundraiser taking place on Friday, Feb/ 11 at Union Station, 500 W. Jackson Blvd. Inspired by ...
|HIV AT 40: Longtime advocate Gregg Gonsalves talks activist roots, Larry Kramer and COVID 2021-12-08|
- When it comes to dealing with HIV/AIDS, few people have been on the front linesin the areas of activism, research and instructionlike Gregg Gonsalves. Gonsalves, a MacArthur fellow, is an expert in policy modeling on infectious ...
|AIDS Garden Chicago supporters, CDPH official commemorate World AIDS Day with event 2021-12-01|
- AIDS Garden Chicago supporters and the Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH) commemorated the 34th annual World AIDS Day on Dec. 1 at the Belmont Yacht Club with a sneak preview of the garden. The 2.5-acre ...
|Five Worth Finding: World AIDS Day, 'Benedetta,' books, wine in a can 2021-11-26|
- World AIDS Day event at Belmont Harbor: The Chicago Parks Foundation will hold a World AIDS Day event on Dec. 1, 9-10:30 a.m., at the Belmont Harbor Yacht Club. Antonio King, LGBTQ health and outreach liaison ...
|World AIDS Day events on tap 2021-11-26|
- World AIDS Day takes place every year on Dec. 1. During this yearwhich marks the 40th anniversary since HIV was officially discoveredhere are some of the events taking place (locally, regionally and nationally) on, before and ...
|AFC commemorates passing of the HIV decriminalization law with World AIDS Day event Dec. 1 2021-11-24|
--From a press release - The World AIDS Day Community Celebration of the Historic Passage of HB1063, which ended criminal penalties against people living with HIV, will be hosted by AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC). It will also commemorate World AIDS Day ...
|AIDS Foundation Chicago awards grants to Black- and Latinx-led organizations 2021-11-12|
- AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) has awarded eight grantstotaling $72,000to BIPOC-led organizations working to address the HIV/AIDS crisis in Black and Latinx neighborhoods across Chicago. The grants came from AFC's Learning ...
|National AIDS Memorial to hold World AIDS Day national events Nov. 30 and Dec. 1 2021-11-10|
--From a press release - SAN FRANCISCO (Nov. 9, 2021) — On December 1, the National AIDS Memorial brings three powerful programs to the public for World AIDS Day that offer inspiration, hope, remembrance, and reflection. The programming, free to the ...
|Secretary Becerra visits Humboldt Park, AIDS Foundation Chicago 2021-11-09|
- On Nov. 8, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Xavier Becerra traveled to sites in Chicago to highlight Biden-Harris administration's plans to build back better through investments in maternal health, the Affordable Ca ...
|LGBTQ+ Latinx healthcare providers discuss impact of COVID-19 pandemic 2021-10-29|
- As part of its COVID-19 Grand Rounds series, AIDS Foundation Chicago hosted an Oct. 26 panel featuring LGBTQ+ Latinx healthcare providers sharing how the pandemic has impacted their personal and professional lives. Panelists included Howard Brown ...
|WORLD Indian commission, queer royals, MTV, Putin, attack in Jamaica 2021-10-24|
- India's National Medical Commission has ordered publishers and medical schools to edit their textbooks and curricula to exclude discriminatory and unscientific portrayals of LGBTI people, according to Human Rights Watch. ...