WINDY CITY TIMES
||Theater Spotlight and Critics' Picks
This article shared 2661 times since Wed Oct 15, 2014
Tony Award-winning Broadway legend Donna McKechnie, the primary performing muse to late director-choreographer Michael Bennett in such musicals as A Chorus Line, Company and Promises, Promises, is the headlining star for Pride Films and Plays' annual benefit Simply Sensational: Legends. The event features McKenchnie and other performers in addition to a raffle for fabulous door prizes. Pride Films and Plays' benefit Simply Sensational: Legends starring Donna McKechnie is at 7 p.m. Monday, Oct. 20, at Stage 773, 1225 W. Belmont Ave. General admission tickets are $75, while VIP tickets ( including 6 p.m. pre-show cabaret and appetizers at Cooper's, 1232 W. Belmont Ave. ) are $100. Tickets to a post-show champagne and chocolates reception with McKechnie are an additional $25. For more information, visit www.pridefilmsandplays.com .
At Home at the Zoo, City Lit Theater, through Oct. 26. Intensely-crafted performances lend coherence to Edward Albee's 1959 snapshot of an urban duel, enhanced ( if not clarified ) by his 2004 prologue. MSB
The Clean House, Bluebird Arts at Athenaeum Theatre, through Oct. 26. "Life is a joke, so you might as well die laughing" is the moral of Sarah Ruhl's magic-realism parable, rendered with plenty of soul-cleansing comedy in this debut production. MSB
Don Giovanni, Lyric Opera of Chicago, through Oct. 29. The famous serial seducer becomes a coke-snorting and sadistic modernizing menace in Goodman Theatre artistic director Robert Falls' new production that updates Mozart's masterpiece to 1920s rural Spain. The Lyric's first non-traditional staging of Don Giovanni is a dramatically compelling kick off to the company's 60th anniversary season. SCM
Season on the Line, The House Theatre of Chicago, through Oct. 26. Capt. Ahab is a meglomaniac theater director and Moby Dick is a white-suited critic in Shaun Pfautsch's highly creative transposition from Melville novel to showbiz valentine. It's great fun yet remarkably faithful in structure to the great American original. JA
By Abarbanel, Barnidge
This article shared 2661 times since Wed Oct 15, 2014
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Theater review: This Wide Night 2021-10-17|
- Title: This Wide Night. Playwright: Chloe Moss At: Shattered Globe Theatre/Interrobang Theatre Project at Theater Wit, 1229 W. Belmont Ave. Tickets: $25-$45; SGTheatre.org. Runs through: Nov. 13 The landlord calls ...
|MUSICALS 'Pretty Woman' tickets go on sale Oct. 15 2021-10-15|
- After a pre-Broadway run in Chicago and being on Broadway, Pretty Woman: The Musical, based on one of Hollywood's most beloved romantic stories of all time, returns to Chicago. The production will run at the CIBC ...
|THEATER Broken Nose presenting looter drama 'Primer' Nov. 15-Dec. 5 2021-10-15|
- Broken Nose Theatre, a pay-what-you-can theater company, will run the world premiere audio drama Primer, described in a release as "a deeply honest look at the prioritization of property over people. Ensemble member Spenser Davis wrote ...
|THEATER 'A Rocky Horror Picture Party' at The Den on Oct. 30-31 2021-10-12|
- Haven is presenting Science Fiction / Double Feature: A Rocky Horror Picture Partyan immersive Halloween experience that brings to life in vivid technicolor the world of the cult-classic filmdirected by ...
|THEATER Rivendell's '8:46' to run Oct. 21-23, stream Nov. 1 2021-10-12|
- Rivendell Theatre Ensemble (RTE)Chicago's only Equity theater dedicated to producing new work with women at the coreannounced 8:46 (Breathing Room), a new play festival of four commissioned plays each eight ...
|COMEDY Janeane Garofalo at The Den Theatre on Nov. 19-20 2021-10-12|
- The Den Theatre will present comedian Janeane Garofalo for four performances on Nov. 19-20 (at 7 and 9:30 p.m. each night) on The Heath Mainstage, 1331 N. Milwaukee Ave. Garofalo has had many memorable and critically ...
|DRAG Utica Queen finds a home in Chicago 2021-10-12|
- Ethan Mundt rose to fame as Utica Queen in season 13 of the Emmy-winning show RuPaul's Drag Race. Ultimately placing sixth in the competition, this young, gay 25-year-old showed creativity and personality. Mundt's latest project, Homecoming ...
|THEATER 'Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog' running through Nov. 6 2021-10-12|
- Black Button Eyes Productions is welcoming back live audiences with the popular internet musical Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog—an authorized fan production to benefit the Chicago charity Season of Concern—playing through ...
|THEATER 'I'm Not A Comedian… I'm Lenny Bruce' returns Nov. 5 2021-10-08|
- Theatre 68 and the Venus Cabaret Theater, 3745 N. Southport Ave., announced the return of the critically acclaimed production, I'm Not A Comedian… I'm Lenny Bruce, to Chicago beginning Friday, Nov. 5. Ronnie Marmo wrote and ...
|THEATER REVIEW Songs for Nobodies 2021-10-07|
- Title: Songs for Nobodies. Playwright: Joanna Murray-Smith At: Northlight Theatre at the North Shore Center for the Arts, 9501 Skokie Blvd. Tickets: $30-$89. Runs through: Sunday, Oct. 31 You won't find their names in the history ...
|Chicago Inclusion Project offers anti-racism workshops for arts organizations 2021-10-05|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL—The staff of The Chicago Inclusion Project is excited to launch a new workshop and continuum developed by staff members Jessica Vann and Arti Ishak. The workshop, entitled "Being Anti-Racist: An Active Action," is designed ...
|THEATER REVIEW: American Mariachi 2021-10-02|
- Title: American Mariachi. Playwright: Jose Cruz Gonzalez At: Goodman Theatre, 170 N. Dearborn St. Tickets: $25-$98; GoodmanTheatre.org. Runs through: Oct. 24 From the first moment, when a shrill "grito" proclaims the commencement of a Mariachi bolero, ...
|THEATER REVIEW Thirteen Days 2021-09-29|
- Thirteen Days. adapted by Brian Pastor from the book by Robert F. Kennedy At: City Lit Theatre at Edgewater Presbyterian Church, 1030 West Bryn Mawr Ave., Tickets: $27-$32. Runs through: Oct. 24 Palace Intrigue has been ...
|THEATER 'The Last Pair of Earlies' running Oct. 27-Dec. 12 at Raven 2021-09-28|
- Raven Theatre, Chicago's newest Equity-affiliated theatre, is welcoming back audiences this fall with the world premiere of Joshua Allen's The Last Pair of Earlies, directed by Wardell Julius Clark. This new dramawhich follows the hardships ...
|Next OUTspoken 'Storytelling Night' Oct. 5 2021-09-27|
--From a press release - Six Chicagoans will tell compelling stories with a LGBTQ+ perspective when another OUTspoken "Storytelling Night" takes place Tuesday, Oct. 5, starting at 7 p.m., at Sidetrack Bar, 3349 N. Halsted St. All attendees must be masked ...