by Kirk Williamson, Nightspots Editor
This article shared 2715 times since Wed Nov 11, 2009
Well, I did it. Deep, deep in the bucolic woods of Michigan I turned 35. It was a fantastic break from all you homos, but the day I got back, I heard your siren's call and I was sucked once more into the breach, namely: Boystown. It was the Halloween parade, after all.
Many thanks to the ridiculously handsome Mike Kosko at Scarlet for applying my zombie makeup. My back story was something about an anchorman in the late '80s who was called out on assignment to cover a zombie outbreak ( because all the field reporters were mysteriously missing ) and fell prey to the very subjects of his crack reportage. Everybody thought I was zombie Bernie Madoff. We did see numerous Bernie Madoffs, in addition to multiple Octomoms, Jon and Kates and the odd Balloon Boy. My personal pick for best costume was the two lesbians in a roller coaster, dangling legs and all.
Props to photog Anthony Meade for gettin' all up in Sidetrack's Night of 100 Drag Queens. This is truly one of my favorite yearly happenings and had it not been for my daring Michigan escape, I surely would have been in attendance. See Anthony's take on the show on page 12.
I got my neon on ( and on and on... ) at the roving Mr. Black 2033 extravaganza at Berlin's Stardust. Leave it to JoJo to show up with the donut holes and blow the whole party into hyperspace. So many lovely folks there, including a certain CFP photog, included here. He snapped a similar shot for his home paper. I'll be looking that shot, dear.
That's all for this week, kiddies. Meanwhile, catch Gayco's latest romp The Audacity of Nope ( or How I Fell For a Pansy Scheme ) , now playing Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays at Strawdog Theatre, 3829 N. Broadway. This picture pretty well sums it up. Tickets can be purchased online at gayco.com or by calling 800-838-3006.
This article shared 2715 times since Wed Nov 11, 2009
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SHOWBIZ RuPaul, LGBTQ athletes, film winners, Charles Busch 2020-11-02|
- RuPaul has a lot of irons in the fire, according to out.com. Not only is she on the cover of Cosmopolitan UK's January 2021 issue, but the drag icon has also posted her new five-track Hey Sis, It's Christmas EP. Also, ...
|Kirk Williamson: Telling stories 2020-09-30|
- Many of you might know me only through my byline on the masthead or, if you're a bit older (and drunker), by my time in the bars as editor of Nightspots. Hey, I WAS that guy from the magazine. But if you have never ...
|Autobiography reflects on heyday of Chicago LGBT media 2020-04-29|
- Fort Lauderdale-based author Rick Karlin, a native Chicagoan who for many years wrote about food and entertainment, among other topics, for LGBT papers in the Windy City, said that the machinations of the local gay media ...
|ART Paul Heyer in solo show presented by MCA 2018-06-20|
- The Museum of Contemporary Art (MCA) Chicago features artist Paul Heyer's first-ever solo show, "Chicago Works: Paul Heyer," through July 1. Heyer is a native of Chicago's south suburbs. Growing up in an arts appreciative household, ...
|Billy Masters 2017-11-21|
- "I can't wait to shove this up Adam's ass!"Blake Shelton's comment after being named "People" magazine's Sexiest Man Alive. I don't really understand all these "straight guys" who are obsessed with ass play. But, hey, as ...
|THEATER REVIEW Sylvester, or The Wicked Uncle 2017-09-25|
- Playwright: adapted by Christina Calvit from the novel by Georgette Heyer At: Lifeline Theatre, 6912 N. Glenwood Ave. Tickets: $40. Runs through: Oct. 29 Regency Romances, preferably adapted for the stage by Christina Calvit, never fail ...
|The Fair Maid of the West 2017-08-09|
- Playwright: Thomas Heywood, adapted by Kevin Theis. At: Oak Park Festival Theatre in Austin Gardens, 167 Forest Ave., Oak Park. Tickets: $30. Runs through: Sept. 2 Thomas Heywood's sword-and-cloak extravaganza was a blockbuster in 1631, but ...
|President Obama's remarks in presenting the Medal of Freedom to VP Joe Biden 2017-01-12|
From the White House Office of the Press Secretary - State Dining Room 3:50 P.M. EST THE PRESIDENT: Hey! All right, that's enough. Don't want to embarrass the guy. (Laughter.) Welcome to the White House, everybody. As I have already delivered my farewell address, I will ...
|President Obama presents the Medal of Freedom to Ellen DeGeneres and others 2016-11-23|
From the White House Office of the Press Secretary - THE WHITE HOUSE, Office of the Press Secretary REMARKS BY THE PRESIDENT AT PRESENTATION OF THE 2016 PRESIDENTIAL MEDAL OF FREEDOM East Room, 3:13 P.M. EST THE PRESIDENT: Hello, hello, hello! Hey! Thank you. (Applause.) Thank ...
|BOOK REVIEW The Joy of Swimming 2016-09-07|
- By Lisa Congdon $18.95; Chronicle Books; 141 pages People say you're all wet. Maybe that's not the nicest thing you've ever heard but hey! If something's true, it's true, right? Yep, you love being in a ...
|Mirza protests Trump, lesbian actress makes statement 2016-01-13|
- Lesbian actress Fawzia Mirza recently made a statement in front of the Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago. In response to Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump's comments about Muslims, Mirza posted, " Hey @realdonaldtrump WE ARE ...
|THEATER REVIEW Million Dollar Quartet 2015-12-30|
- Book: Colin Escott and Floyd Mutrux; Score: Various. At: Apollo Theatre, 2540 N. Lincoln Ave. Tickets: 773-935-6100 or www.milliondollarquartetlive.com; $25-$95. Runs through Jan. 17 Hey procrastinators! Million Dollar Quartet, officially ...
Stanley in the
Name of Love 2015-08-12|
- Book: Mr. Margaret Svetlove; Score: The Delicious Moons. At: The New Colony at Den Theatre, 1333 N. Milwaukee Ave. Tickets: www.thenewcolony.org; $20-$25. Runs through: Aug. 29 Hey, you young queer club kids who worship at the ...
|Stanley Cup makes the rounds in Boystown over Pride weekend; CGHA celebrates 2015-07-01|
- They won a championship and cruised around town with The Cup. Hey, it was a pretty good Pride weekend for the Chicago Gay Hockey Association (CGHA). The second-ever Chicago Pride Classic was held at McFetridge Sports ...
|Bijou Chronicles RETROSTUDS OF THE PAST:
FOCUS ON LEE RYDER
- We at Bijou carry back issues of Manshots magazines, which was, I think, in its heyday (the late '80s and early '90s), offered a sophisticated approach to gay porn; its video reviews were generally cogent and ...