by Kirk Williamson, Nightspots Editor
This article shared 3852 times since Wed Jan 30, 2008
#1 Tajma Hall's Pucker shot at Hydrate; #2 ( From left ) Robb, Sue, Jack, Jean, Verdell, Dan, Jonathan, Tracy, Terry, Terri, Andrew, Cynthia, Yasmin, Amy, Amy, Ross, me and Steve at Crew; #3 Foozie's mystery shot at Nitro
May your merry bells keep ringing! Ours were at Crew for Windy City Media Group's belated holiday party. Apparently, celebrating Christmakwanzaachanukasmas in January is the new black. And Crew was as black as it gets for supplying us with the most raucous holiday party we simple WCMG folk have ever enjoyed. And a special shout-out goes to Chad2, who busted what he had of an ass to keep those that bring you this humble fag rag boozed to the gills.
Wednesday I decided to pop into Miss Tajma Hall's Hy-Drag Revue at Hydrate. Thanks, Taj, for your lovely introduction to the crowd... and for the lovely shot. Kind of embarrassing that when she offered the shot to anyone that would take it, I was the only taker. Hey, it's not for everyone, I guess.
And if you don't know, a drag queen is the last guy you want to fuck with. Just tell that to the surly Greek fellow who was shouting quite harshly ( and quite Greekly ) to the blonde girl Taj had brought up on stage. With one glance she kicked his phyllo dough eatin' ass. Don't fuck with them, I'm telling you.
See page 16 for the story on JC Cestou's admirable fund-raising efforts for CALOR at Touché during the Mr. Chicago Leather 2008 competition. Some of the finest people I've ever known are those on the forefront of Chicago's leather community. It's about more than parties, kids.
Which is not to say that the party wasn't all that, which it was. Nuts to butts of the sweatiest, hairiest fellows you could imagine. Let your imagination run wild!
Nitro has done it again with their Asian Invasion party. Now, I know that there will be people offended by the theme. This is certainly their right. I would like to report that, on the other hand, there were many Asian performers and patrons there who thoroughly enjoyed the party with no trace of offense. Now, I'm just waiting for the Aunt Jemima throwdown. That'll be a party, alright.
And if you're offended by that, you should have seen Mr. Chicago Leather 2005 Jeff Willoughby all decked out in his Jemima finery serving pancakes at the welcome party this year.
It's called a sense of humor. Pick one up. They're free.
Speaking of free, stop into Mary's Attic this Sunday night for your chance to win a pair of tickets to TPAN's Chicago Takes Off event. The tickets are a $500 value and all you have to do is show up. This is that free lunch that society has tried to convince you does not exist. Better get it while it lasts.
This article shared 3852 times since Wed Jan 30, 2008
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SHOWBIZ RuPaul, LGBTQ athletes, film winners, Charles Busch 2020-11-02|
- RuPaul has a lot of irons in the fire, according to out.com. Not only is she on the cover of Cosmopolitan UK's January 2021 issue, but the drag icon has also posted her new five-track Hey Sis, It's Christmas EP. Also, ...
|Kirk Williamson: Telling stories 2020-09-30|
- Many of you might know me only through my byline on the masthead or, if you're a bit older (and drunker), by my time in the bars as editor of Nightspots. Hey, I WAS that guy from the magazine. But if you have never ...
|Karlin's memoir reflects on heyday of Chicago LGBT media 2020-04-29|
- Fort Lauderdale-based author Rick Karlin, a native Chicagoan who for many years wrote about food and entertainment, among other topics, for LGBT papers in the Windy City, said that the machinations of the local gay media ...
|ART Paul Heyer in solo show presented by MCA 2018-06-20|
- The Museum of Contemporary Art (MCA) Chicago features artist Paul Heyer's first-ever solo show, "Chicago Works: Paul Heyer," through July 1. Heyer is a native of Chicago's south suburbs. Growing up in an arts appreciative household, ...
|Billy Masters 2017-11-21|
- "I can't wait to shove this up Adam's ass!"Blake Shelton's comment after being named "People" magazine's Sexiest Man Alive. I don't really understand all these "straight guys" who are obsessed with ass play. But, hey, as ...
|THEATER REVIEW Sylvester, or The Wicked Uncle 2017-09-25|
- Playwright: adapted by Christina Calvit from the novel by Georgette Heyer At: Lifeline Theatre, 6912 N. Glenwood Ave. Tickets: $40. Runs through: Oct. 29 Regency Romances, preferably adapted for the stage by Christina Calvit, never fail ...
|The Fair Maid of the West 2017-08-09|
- Playwright: Thomas Heywood, adapted by Kevin Theis. At: Oak Park Festival Theatre in Austin Gardens, 167 Forest Ave., Oak Park. Tickets: $30. Runs through: Sept. 2 Thomas Heywood's sword-and-cloak extravaganza was a blockbuster in 1631, but ...
|President Obama's remarks in presenting the Medal of Freedom to VP Joe Biden 2017-01-12|
From the White House Office of the Press Secretary - State Dining Room 3:50 P.M. EST THE PRESIDENT: Hey! All right, that's enough. Don't want to embarrass the guy. (Laughter.) Welcome to the White House, everybody. As I have already delivered my farewell address, I will ...
|President Obama presents the Medal of Freedom to Ellen DeGeneres and others 2016-11-23|
From the White House Office of the Press Secretary - THE WHITE HOUSE, Office of the Press Secretary REMARKS BY THE PRESIDENT AT PRESENTATION OF THE 2016 PRESIDENTIAL MEDAL OF FREEDOM East Room, 3:13 P.M. EST THE PRESIDENT: Hello, hello, hello! Hey! Thank you. (Applause.) Thank ...
|BOOK REVIEW The Joy of Swimming 2016-09-07|
- By Lisa Congdon $18.95; Chronicle Books; 141 pages People say you're all wet. Maybe that's not the nicest thing you've ever heard but hey! If something's true, it's true, right? Yep, you love being in a ...
|Mirza protests Trump, lesbian actress makes statement 2016-01-13|
- Lesbian actress Fawzia Mirza recently made a statement in front of the Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago. In response to Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump's comments about Muslims, Mirza posted, " Hey @realdonaldtrump WE ARE ...
|THEATER REVIEW Million Dollar Quartet 2015-12-30|
- Book: Colin Escott and Floyd Mutrux; Score: Various. At: Apollo Theatre, 2540 N. Lincoln Ave. Tickets: 773-935-6100 or www.milliondollarquartetlive.com; $25-$95. Runs through Jan. 17 Hey procrastinators! Million Dollar Quartet, officially ...
Stanley in the
Name of Love 2015-08-12|
- Book: Mr. Margaret Svetlove; Score: The Delicious Moons. At: The New Colony at Den Theatre, 1333 N. Milwaukee Ave. Tickets: www.thenewcolony.org; $20-$25. Runs through: Aug. 29 Hey, you young queer club kids who worship at the ...
|Stanley Cup makes the rounds in Boystown over Pride weekend; CGHA celebrates 2015-07-01|
- They won a championship and cruised around town with The Cup. Hey, it was a pretty good Pride weekend for the Chicago Gay Hockey Association (CGHA). The second-ever Chicago Pride Classic was held at McFetridge Sports ...
|Bijou Chronicles RETROSTUDS OF THE PAST:
FOCUS ON LEE RYDER
- We at Bijou carry back issues of Manshots magazines, which was, I think, in its heyday (the late '80s and early '90s), offered a sophisticated approach to gay porn; its video reviews were generally cogent and ...