WINDY CITY TIMES
||TPAN refocuses, takes break from 'Chicago Takes Off'
This article shared 3804 times since Fri Jan 24, 2014
TPAN, Chicago's oldest peer-led HIV/AIDS service organization, announced it is not hosting the popular Chicago Takes Off fundraiser this year and is instead focusing on "a more personal connection with its donors, clients, staff and volunteers [with] opportunities that foster conversations that will continue beyond a single event."
Recent events such as Barlesque, the Holiday Open House, and the upcoming Ride for AIDS Chicago, along with personal house parties, "align with TPAN's mission to help wipe out the stigma of HIV and AIDS," the agency stated in a press release.
"To put our efforts behind these conversations, we are taking a year off from Chicago Takes Off, our annual burlesque event," said Interim CEO Jeff Berry. "We appreciate the generosity of the arts community and everyone who has been a part of this event in the past. While we are extremely saddened that CTO will not take place this year, it's TPAN's sincere hope that this decision will allow us to refocus our business development plan, and come back in 2015 with a CTO that is bigger and stronger than ever."
TPAN recently moved into its new office space at 5050 N. Broadway in October of 2013, and along with the physical move came some internal restructuring. Considering everything that it takes to put on an event of this size and nature, the logistics involved, the capacity of its staff, and the best use of resources during this time of transition at the organization, TPAN leadership decided to not hold the event this year.
"It was a difficult decision and one that was not made lightly, but arrived at only after taking into consideration all of the many different factors involved," said Berry.
TPAN invites everyone to join them at future events they are hosting at places such as Progress Bar, the winner of Barlesque, as well as participate in its 11th annual Ride for AIDS Chicago, July 12—13. If you're interested in learning more about RFAC or to just hang out with the great folks of TPAN and join the conversation, stop by the Ride for AIDS Chicago Kickoff Party at Sidetrack on Saturday, January 25th from 4-7pm.
This article shared 3804 times since Fri Jan 24, 2014
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|31ST annual Elton John AIDS Foundation Academy Awards Viewing Party raises more than $9 million 2023-03-13|
--From a press release - LOS ANGELES, March 13, 2023 — The 31st annual Elton John AIDS Foundation Academy Awards® Viewing Party hosted by Sir Elton John and David Furnish, with special guests Eric McCormack and Michaela Jae Rodriguez, raised more ...
|Returning World of Chocolate event nets $250K 2023-02-22|
- On Feb. 17, AIDS Foundation of Chicago's (AFC) annual fundraiser, World of Chocolate returned after a three-year break due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This year, the event was held in the main entry way of Union ...
|Gov. Pritzker Proposes $5M cut to state HIV funding 2023-02-17|
--From a press release - Feb. 16, 2023—Speaking before a joint session of the Illinois General Assembly for the first time since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, Governor JB Pritzker delivered his annual State of the State and Budget address ...
|NATIONAL Mayor's honor, sexuality oath, Big Freedia, TikTok COO, AIDS Quilt 2023-02-11|
- Openly gay San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria recently became the latest recipient of the Latino Leaders Network's Antonio Villaraigosa Leadership Award during the organization's Tribute to Mayors, the Los Angeles Blade reported. The biannual event, held ...
|SHOWBIZ Jerrod Carmichael, Alan Cumming, Andre Leon Talley, AIDS drama 2023-02-05|
- Openly gay stand-up comic and recent Golden Globes host Jerrod Carmichael is set to star in a comedy documentary series for HBO, according to Entertainment Weekly. The yet-untitled series will center on Carmichael's personal life, following ...
|AFC's World of Chocolate on Feb. 17 2023-01-02|
- After a nearly three-year hiatus, AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) will host the return of its famed World of Chocolate fundraiser on Friday, Feb. 17, at Union Station, 225 S. Canal St. This event features a menu ...
|Chicago activist Jeff Berry discusses advocacy for aging persons living with HIV 2022-12-08|
- For longtime Chicago activist Jeff Berry, becoming the first executive director of the Reunion Project—a national alliance centering aging persons living with HIV, which Berry co-founded in 2015—was a significant ...
|Annual STRUT event shines spotlight on World AIDS Day 2022-12-07|
- On the evening of Nov. 4, the annual STRUT fashion show celebrated its 13th edition at Joe's on Weed St. As in the past, STRUT shined its spotlight on up-and-coming young fashion designers while raising funds for ...
|PRCC-VIDA/SIDA event marks World AIDS Day with Vigil and Baton show 2022-12-05|
- On Dec. 1, the Puerto Rican Community Center (PRCC) and Vida/SIDA celebrated World AIDS Day with a candlelight vigil in the afternoon and a commemorative show at The Baton Show Lounge in the evening. The earlier ...
|Chicago's sweetest party and fundraiser, World of Chocolate returns In-person Feb. 17 at Union Station 2022-12-05|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO — Glitz, glamour and chocolate…after a nearly three-year hiatus, AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) proudly announces the return of its famed World of Chocolate fundraiser on Friday, February 17 at Union Station ...
|Cleve Jones, founder of AIDS Memorial Quilt, honored with Lifetime of Commitment Award on World AIDS Day 2022-12-03|
-- From a press release - SAN FRANCISCO, CA (Nov. 30 & Dec. 1, 2022) — The National AIDS Memorial marked World AIDS Day with a national observance at the 10-acre National AIDS Memorial Grove in San Francisco, honoring AIDS activist and founder of the AIDS Memorial Quilt ...
|Pritzker administration announces highly effective HIV treatment coming to Illinois in 2023 2022-12-02|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO — Governor JB Pritzker and the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) announced today on World AIDS Day that a new, long-acting HIV treatment called Cabenuva will become available to thousands of ...
|World AIDS Day: GLAAD releases 2022 State of HIV Stigma Study 2022-12-01|
-- From a press release - (New York, NY - December 1, 2022) GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, is releasing its third annual State of HIV Stigma ...
|Peppermint barks while Broadway bangs, and all the other dish to start the week 2022-11-28|
- "I love Broadway. I love what they do—Broadway Cares, but I also want to say the show is extraordinary!" —Nicole Kidman's impromptu speech after bidding $100K to Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS for Hugh Jackman's hat after ...
|Lambda Legal challenges anti-HIV military policy 2022-11-13|
- Lambda Legal filed a legal challenge to the U.S. military policy that prevents people living with HIV from enlisting in the U.S. Armed Forces, according to a press release. The current policy requires that applicants for ...