WINDY CITY TIMES
||THEATER REVIEW Striking Out (A Gay Baseball Musical)
by Sean Margaret Wagner
This article shared 1402 times since Wed May 2, 2018
Authors: Ryan Ford & Adam Levin. At: The Annoyance Theatre, 851 W. Belmont Ave. Tickets: 773-697-9693 or TheAnnoyance.com; $15-20. Runs through: June 16
Sometimes holding a show under a critical microscope has no value; it feels like punching a kitten. A production like Striking Out ( A Gay Baseball Musical ) isn't going to going to win any Jeff awards, but it does inch the quality of Chicago's improvised musical scene up a notch, and it has already won the premise powerball.
In Striking Out, baseball is dominated by openly gay players, and the thought of a straight man picking up a bat is laughable. However, when star player Lance Valentine ( Jordan Wilson ) gets injured in a chorus-line mishap, the Chicago Otters must hold open tryouts to replace him, and their replacement, rookie Jimmy Roberts ( Ryan Cashman ), is very suspicious. He never wants to go clubbing, he spends all his time with his "sister" Penny ( Laurel Zoff Pelton ), and he's capable of turning down Beyonce tickets. Heterosexual Jimmy works tirelessly to throw everyone off his trail; high-powered lesbian sports anchors Susan Winters ( Jordan Lee Cohen ) and Roberta Nightingale ( Elizabeth Andrews ), his coach ( Shelby Quinn ) and even agent Chester Wiesel ( Sarah Portertechnically a pants role, but it's fun imagining a world filled with business lesbians ). In musical tradition, relationships get put to the test, and in sports tradition, it all comes down to the final play.
Striking Out walks a delicate line between improv looseness and musical exactness. When performers are trying to hit the mark, coordinating songs with choreography and stage effects, they come away a little dead-eyed and passionless, forgetting the emotions involved. The moments that hit with the most power are numbers like "Love is All We Need Tonight," that are simple, allowing performers to get comfortable enough to improvise. It hardly matters if you go up on the lyrics in a love song, the words aren't importantjust kiss, already!
One character duo given more story function and complexity than you'd see in an average musical is long-suffering girlfriend Penny, played with odd charm by Laurel Zoff Pelton, and villain-turned-bestie Lance Valentine, made ultra-sardonic and shallow by Jordan Wilson. The two share a comedy song "Tired of Waiting" that would feel at home in an episode of Crazy Ex Girlfriend. I'd also be loathe to forget this production's turned-on-its-ear take on testosterone-fueled sports reportersRoberta Nightingale and Susan Winters, played by Elizabeth Andrews and Jordan Lee Cohenwho are forever ramping up to a screaming match.
By act two, Striking Out delivers the utmost in heterophobic jokes, you just have to wade through a lot of hit-or miss material to get there. If you've ever wondered how a drag-queen Babe Ruth would lip-sync for her life on RuPaul's Drag Race, this show is definitely for you.
This article shared 1402 times since Wed May 2, 2018
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|55th anniversary Jeff Awards for Equity theaters announced 2023-10-03|
--From a press release - (October 2, 2023 — CHICAGO) — At the 55th anniversary celebration of Equity theater excellence, the Jeff Awards recognized 46 award recipients selected from among 214 theater artist nominees across ...
|Beyonce concert film 'Renaissance' debuting Dec. 1 2023-10-03|
- Media outlets have reported that the theatrical release date for Renaissance: A Film By Beyoncea movie chronicling the superstar's most recent world touris Dec. 1. Advance tickets are already available for sale on major theater chains ...
|OPERA REVIEW Lyric's new season at full-sail with debuting 'Dutchman' production 2023-09-30|
- Lyric Opera of Chicago is off to a flying start with its new-to-Chicago production of Richard Wagner's The Flying Dutchman. Magnificent performances by the leads and chorusnot to mention masterful work by Lyric's orchestra, conducted by ...
|THEATER REVIEW 'Little Voice' showcases big talents 2023-09-29|
- The Gift Theatre at Filament Theatre, 4041 N. Milwaukee Through Oct. 15 thegifttheatre.org � I kept thinking of Walter, one of the regulars at (late, lamented) Bucks Saloon, when watching The Gift Theatre's current production of ...
|SAVOR Jam-packed Chicago Gourmet; Easy Bar's 'Drag Me to Bingo' 2023-09-28|
- Hundreds of people recently took part in one of the city's annual culinary highlights: Chicago Gourmet. Spanning Sept. 21-24 mostly at the Harris Theater rooftop at Millennium Park, Chicago Gourmet featured, as usual, several events, including ...
|DANCE Deeply Rooted performing Nov. 3 at the Auditorium Theatre 2023-09-27|
- The Auditorium Theatre, 50 E. Ida B. Wells Dr., is presenting Deeply Rooted Dance Theatera Chicago-based contemporary dance company rooted in traditions of American and African-American dancein a one-night-only performance ...
|Teatro Zinzanni returning to Cambria Hotel on Oct. 5 2023-09-25|
- Teatro ZinZanni is returning to the Chicago Loop—tucked inside a mirrored spiegeltent within the 14th floor of the Cambria Hotel, 32 W. Randolph St. The cast features returning fan favorites including Duo 19, a dynamic trapeze ...
|THEATER Mosaic Players revives 5 Lesbians Eating a Quiche 2023-09-24|
- Are suburban Illinois and Wisconsin towns ready to welcome 5 Lesbians Eating a Quiche into their churches, synagogues and community colleges? The artists of a Lake County theater company certainly think so. "I was very pleasantly ...
|SHOWBIZ John Waters, Madonna, Miriam Margoyles, Angelica Ross, 'Cassandro' 2023-09-21|
- Openly gay film director John Waters (Pink Flamingos, Serial Mom, Cry-Baby) received his star on Hollywood's Walk of Fame, The Hollywood Reporter noted. (Actors Ricki Lake and Mink Stole as well as photographer Greg Gorman were ...
|SHOWBIZ Kim Petras, LGBTQ+ movies, TIFF, canceled shows, yachts 2023-09-15|
Video below - Ahead of her Feed the Beast world tour, Grammy-winning international trans pop singer/songwriter Kim Petras has shared reimagined, symphonic, seven-piece string-ensemble performances of fan favorites from her debut album Feed ...
|THEATER Queer actor Kyle Patrick reflects on leading 'American Psycho: The Musical' 2023-09-14|
- American Psychoboth the Bret Easton Ellis novel and the Mary Harron-directed film led by Christian Balewould seem ripe for a musical treatment, given the omnipresent campy elements (despite, or maybe because of, the gore). And, in ...
|Chicago Opera Theater starts 50th-anniv. season with 'Soldier Songs' 2023-09-13|
- Chicago Opera Theater (COT) is kicking off its 50th-anniversary season with David T. Little's Grammy-nominated Soldier Songs—described as "a haunting, heavy-metal infused theatrical cantata about the psychological impact of war." ...
|Porchlight Music Theatre's announces 29th season 2023-09-12|
--From a press release - This past Friday at our special event, Porchlight ICONS: Celebrating Ben Vereen, we shared the exclusive announcement of our 29th Season! The new season launches with The Cole Porter Festival - A Celebration of the Man ...
|THEATER Jim Henson production in Chicago on Nov. 14-Dec. 31 2023-09-12|
- A live theatrical adaptation of Jim Henson's Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas is making its Chicago debut Nov. 14-Dec. 31, at the Studebaker Theater at the historic Fine Arts Building, 410 S. Michigan Ave., Broadway World revealed. ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Sex Education' star, Rotten Tomatoes, Jessica Lange, Queer/Art 2023-09-08|
Video below - Sex Education star Ncuti Gatwa officially came out during an interview with Elle UK, according to Out. "I remember being at Manchester Pride, going through the streets with all my boys, shaking my cha-chas, living it ...
|Mexican Museum presents Queer Fiesta|
|SHOWBIZ Outfest, Halo, 'Sex Education,' trans singer, 'Doctor Who'|
|WORLD African efforts, HIV in Amsterdam, Donatella Versace, 'The Queen in Me'|
|DANCE Deeply Rooted performing Nov. 3 at the Auditorium Theatre|
|NATIONAL Bisexual politicians, DADT, NBJC awards, crimes, Buttigieg|