WINDY CITY TIMES
||THEATER 2nd Story announces first half of 2021-22 season
This article shared 1219 times since Thu Jul 22, 2021
One of Chicago's longest-running storytelling collectives, 2nd Story, announced the first half of its 23rd season of programming for 2021-22.
The season will feature nearly 30 world-premiere stories and storyteller debuts, as well as 20 of the most-loved stories from the 2nd Story archive.
The company's season 23 kickoff features moving stories that explore how one can move forward in a world that is no longer familiar. The Aug. 28 program includes three world-premiere performances, including Finding Mr. Bellot, by Jared Bellot, who shares about the hard work of losing and then discovering his sense of self in his first year of teaching English in a public school. Off the Map also includes stories by Katie Hauser and 2nd Story company member Karla Estela Rivera.
Other programs include "The Statement Piece," a fundraiser on Sept. 25; "Guiding Light: Stories of Finding Our Way," on Oct. 9; "The Phantom Ship: Stories of Things that Haunt Us," on Oct. 30; "The View From Here," on Nov. 21; "The Snow Must Go On: Stories of Moving Forward," on Dec. 21; and "Sankofa, Reach Back and Get It: The Black Joy Show," on Jan. 25, 2022.
The second half of 2nd Story's 23rd season will be announced early 2022.
Tickets for the 23rd season are "pay-what-you-can" and are available beginning Aug. 1 at 2ndStory.com .
This article shared 1219 times since Thu Jul 22, 2021
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|THEATER Season of Concern to present 'Jerry's Girls' on June 27 2022-05-21|
- "Jerry's Girls: A Benefit for Season of Concern" will take place Monday, June 27, at 7:30 p.m. at Victory Gardens Theater, 2433 N. Lincoln Ave. Season of Concern Chicago is dedicated to providing financial assistance to ...
|Quiz program 'Wait, Wait' to start taping June 16 at the Studebaker 2022-05-16|
- Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!, NPR's weekly hour-long quiz program, will resume live audience recordings Thursday, June 16, in a new Chicago home: the historic Studebaker Theater at the Fine Arts Building, 401 S. Michigan Ave. ...
|SHOWBIZ Queer playwright, LGBTQ+ films, BMI Pop Awards, new superhero 2022-05-15|
- Jeremy O. Harris, the queer Tony-nominated author of Slave Play, has been named the presiding playwright for the 2023 Yale Drama Series Prizeone of the theater world's most prestigious playwriting honors, Deadline noted. Harris joins the ...
|THEATER 'The Secretaries: A Parable' running through June 11 2022-05-12|
- First Floor Theater returns to live production with the world premiere of company member Omer Abbas Salem's The Secretaries: A Parable following the script's 2021 development as part of Goodman Theatre's Future Labs. The production will ...
|THEATER Underscore's 'Notes & Letters' running through May 28 2022-05-12|
- Underscore Theatre Company celebrates its 10th-anniversary season with the world premiere of the musical Notes & Letters, which features book, music and lyrics by Annabelle Lee Revak (she/her) and is ...
|FILM 'The Adventures of Priscilla' to show nationwide on June 2 2022-05-11|
- Iconic Events Releasing will kick off Pride Month with a special nationwide rerelease of MGM's classic 1994 Australian film The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. Screenings will take place in select theaters nationwide on ...
|Kokandy Productions to present 'Cruel Intentions: The '90s Musical' June 9-Aug. 7 2022-05-10|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (May 10, 2022) — Kokandy Productions is launching its 10th-anniversary season this summer with the Chicago storefront premiere of Cruel Intentions: The '90s Musicala flirty and fun, nostalgia-packed show ...
|Tonys: Queer-themed 'A Strange Loop' leads nods; 'Paradise Square,' 'MJ' close behind 2022-05-09|
- Nominations for the 75th Tony Awards were announced May 9—and a Pulitzer Prize-winning original musical and a play that recounts the 2008 financial crisis led the nods, CNN reported. Leading the nominations was A Strange Loop, ...
|THEATER Performers Diana DeGarmo and Ace Young skate into the Windy City 2022-05-04|
- The popular television show American Idol brought Diana DeGarmo and Ace Young together, even though they actually competed on separate seasons. Fate and destiny are also parts of the storyline in the duo's latest project Skates. ...
|THEATER Silk Road co-founders talk about journey from medical setback 2022-05-03|
- Malik Gillani co-founded Silk Road Risinga theater company focused on sharing the life stories of the overlooked and underrepresented people living along the Silk Road in Asia and the Middle Eastwith his husband, Jamil Khoury, almost ...
|Actors 30 and older needed for Bronzeville murder-mystery production 2022-05-03|
- Actors and actresses who are at least 30 years old are needed for a murder-mystery production that revolves around a historical Bronzeville development. Wooley's Place will involve a murder that will take place in Chicago's Bronzeville ...
|Raven Theatre announces 40th Anniversary Season 2022-05-02|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (May 2, 2022) — Raven Theatre is pleased to announce its 40th Anniversary Season, kicking off this fall with a fresh take on Noel Coward's iconic 1930 comedy Private Lives, directed by Ian Frank. The ...
|DANCE A&A Ballet to offer Family Dance Series starting May 14 2022-05-02|
- A&A Ballet (A&A), under the artistic direction of Alexei Kremnev and Anna Reznik, announced a new Family Dance Series at the Athenaeum Theater, 2936 N. Southport Ave., premiering Saturday, May 14, at 3 p.m. Fresh from ...
|Refracted Theatre to launch inaugural Chicago season with queer production 2022-05-02|
- Refracted Theatre Company has announced its inaugural Chicago season, featuring a launch event and a world-premiere queer-themed production where curiosity is rewarded with the unexpected, and an open heart is met with a colorful display of ...
|THEATER 'At the Vanishing Point' running through May 22 2022-05-02|
- The Gift Theatre is welcoming back live audiences with the Chicago premiere of Naomi Iizuka's drama At the Vanishing Point, directed by Lavina Jadhwani. It runs through Sunday, May 22, at Filament Theatre, 4041 N. Milwaukee ...