||Study says bias experiences affect suicides in trans adults
This article shared 1850 times since Tue Sep 10, 2019
New analysis of data from the 2015 U.S. Transgender Survey (USTS) found that more than half (51.2 percent) of respondents who had experienced four instances of anti-transgender discrimination and violence in the past year reported attempting suicide in that year.
Nearly all (97.7 percent) had seriously thought about suicide.
Respondents who had experienced job loss, eviction, homelessness and physical attack in the past year were ten times more likely to have reported suicide attempts in that year compared to those who experienced none of these.
The 2015 USTSwhich the National Center for Transgender Equality conductedsurveyed 28,000 transgender adults and is currently the largest survey of transgender people in the country. The full report is at williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/Transgender-Suicide-Sept-2019.pdf .
This article shared 1850 times since Tue Sep 10, 2019
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|More than 45,000 trans youth put at risk of losing access to gender-affirming care 2021-04-13|
--From a Williams Institute press release - An estimated 45,100 transgender youth ages 13 and older in the U.S. are at risk of being denied gender-affirming medical care due to proposed and enacted state bans, according to the Williams Institute at UCLA School ...
|NCAA issues statement hitting back at anti-trans discrimination
- The NCAA, which regulates college athletics in the United States, supported transgender athletes April 12, saying it won't hold championship events in locations that aren't "free of discrimination," NBC News reported. As Republicans in more than ...
|Trans, non-binary youth influencers launch book collection with "A Kids Book About" 2021-04-12|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL - April 12, 2021 - While many teens took e-learning as an opportunity to level-up their gaming skills, a group of young people chose instead to write a collection of books about their lives. ...
|WORLD Trans women arrested, death threats, Russian film, leader apologizes 2021-04-11|
- Two transgender women facing charges of "attempted homosexuality" (as well as public indecency and not carrying identification) in a high-profile case in Cameroon will spend more than two months behind bars without a trial after a ...
|SHOWBIZ Trans singer, 'Pose,' Kate Winslet, Lil Nas X, Broadway 2021-04-11|
- Trans femme indie-punk artist Evan Greer (she/her) released a dystopian new music video for the song "Surveillance Capitalism," a press release noted. She is using it to launch StopSpotifySurveillance.org with Fight for the Future, where she ...
|GLAAD Media Awards honors creative forces of change in media, culture 2021-04-09|
--From a press release, video below - Los Angeles, CA, Thursday, April 8, 2021 — GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, tonight hosted a virtual ceremony to announce the award recipients of the 32nd Annu ...
|New study shows discrimination, stigma, family pressure drive transgender "detransition" 2021-04-07|
--From a press release - BOSTONA new study published in LGBT Health found that 13.1% of currently identified transgender people have detransitioned at some point in their lives, but that 82.5% of those who have detransitioned attribute their decision to at ...
|Equality Illinois celebrates Black trans woman's electoral victory in Decatur, Illinois 2021-04-07|
From a press release - A statement from Brian C. Johnson, CEO of Equality Illinois, the state's civil rights organization for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) Illinoisans: "We are extremely proud of Alana ...
|Suburban LGBTQ candidates mostly prevail in April 6 elections
- Illinois LGBTQ candidates mostly prevailed in their respective suburban elections on April 6—with two victories marking rare wins by transgender candidates.
|Arkansas legislature overrides governor on anti-trans measure
- On April 6, the Arkansas state legislature voted to override a veto by Gov. Asa Hutchinson on a bill that would ban gender-affirming treatments for transgender youths in the state, ABC News reported. The "Save Adolescents ...
|Athlete Ally releases Athletic Equality Index of LGBTQ-Inclusion at NCAA D1 Schools 2021-04-05|
--From a press release - LGBTQI+ student athletes are under attack. Here's how schools can step in. LGBTQI+ student athletes already have a lot on their mind between navigating COVID-19, coursework and their sport. They shouldn't have to also worry about ...
|MOVIES 'The Sound of Identity,' about trans opera star, out June 1
- Winner of the 2020 Outshine Film Festival's prestigious Programmers Award of Excellence, The Sound of Identity is a feature documentary that Shout! Studios will present on digital and on demand June 1. Profiling international opera star ...
|WIU LGBTQA Resource Center celebrates 10th Anniversary 2021-04-01|
--From a WIU press release - MACOMB, IL — In 2011, the LGBT*QA Resource Center was established at Western Illinois University to serve as a home, and to raise awareness for, the lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, questioning+ community at WIU. Ten years ...
|32nd Annual GLAAD Media Awards April 8 2021-04-01|
--From a press release - New York, NY - Thursday, April 1, 2021 - GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, today announced that CHIKA, Rebecca Black, and Niecy Nash's wife Jessica Betts will ...
|President Biden recognizes Transgender Day of Visibility 2021-03-31|
--From a Center on Halsted press release - In a proclamation recognizing March 31, 2021 as Transgender Day of Visibility, President Biden wrote, "Vice President Harris and I affirm that transgender Americans make our Nation more prosperous, vibrant, and strong. I urge my fellow ...