WINDY CITY TIMES
||St. Luke's First Lutheran Church in Chicago to Ordain Openly Gay Pastor
This article shared 3925 times since Wed Oct 25, 2006
On Oct. 21, 2006, St. Luke's Lutheran Church, 2649 N. Francisco ordained Erik Christensen into the Ministry of Word and Sacrament. In doing so, the house of worship became the first Lutheran church in Chicago to ordain and install an out minister.
Christensen is originally from Omaha, Neb., and was raised in Des Moines, Iowa. He graduated from Macalester College in 1995 and then continued to receive his Master of Divinity in 2002 from the Candler School of Theology at Emory University in Atlanta. He then graduated with a Sacred Theology Master from Lutheran Theological Seminary in Philadelphia in 2004.
Christensen was a part of the ELCA ( Evangelical Lutheran Church in America ) candidacy process for ordination from 1999 until he was removed in December of 2003. As an openly gay candidate for ordination, he joined the Extraordinary Candidacy Project ( ECP ) in 2005. The ECP is a program for candidates for ordination who, if not for their sexual orientation, would be qualified, in every way, for ministry. St. Luke's is the first congregation in the Chicago area to call an ECP pastor. ( The ECP is not a part of the ELCA and its activities are not endorsed by the organization. )
This article shared 3925 times since Wed Oct 25, 2006
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Former pope faulted in report on sexual abuse in German diocese 2022-01-20|
- A long-awaited report on sexual abuse in Germany's Munich diocese faulted retired Pope Benedict XVI's handling of four cases when he was archbishop in the 1970s and 1980s, The Chicago Tribune reported. Westpfahl Spilker Wastl, the ...
|Pope Francis thanks U.S. nun for advancing LGBTQ+ rights 2022-01-14|
- In a recent letter to Sister Jeannine Gramick, Pope Francis thanked her for her 50 years of advocacy and ministry to LGBTQ+ Catholics, The Hill reported. The pope in his letter, dated Dec. 10, said Gramick ...
|LETTER Continue the dialogue on racism 2022-01-08|
- I am writing this letter to the editor about the article that appeared on the Windy City Times website titled "A look at Northalsted/Boystown bars since 2020 town hall on racism," written by Cris Villalonga-Vivoni. Also, ...
|NATIONAL Vermont judges, trans bishop, Jared Polis, gay mayor 2022-01-02|
- Vermont Gov. Phil Scott announced his appointments of three Vermont Superior Court judgesElizabeth Novotny, of Jericho; Heather Gray, of Quechee; and Justin Jiron, of Underhill, a press release noted. Novotny is a Vermont lawyer with more ...
|Lighthouse Foundation releases analysis of Chicago LGBTQ+ nonprofits 2021-12-28|
- Lighthouse Foundation of Chicagolanda Black- and queer-led, multiracial social justice organizationhas released its Black Queer Equity Index (BQEI). The BQEI evaluates the organizational cultures of five of the area's largest ...
|Utah billionaire leaves Mormon Church, donates to LGBTQ group 2021-12-22|
- Billionaire Jeff Green resigned from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, writing in a letter to the church's president that he believes the institution has "hindered global progress in women's rights, civil rights and ...
|Pride in the Pews: from storytelling to mobilizing Black LGBTQ+ leaders of faith 2021-12-21|
- Storytelling, justice and communitythese core values drove Pride in the Pews when it began in March 2021 as a campaign to collect 66 stories from Black LGBTQ+ Christians across the country. While the mission for Pride ...
|Indiana minister leaves job after appearing with drag queens in TV series 2021-12-12|
- The Rev. Craig Duke has been a Methodist minister for three decades, building a reputation as a staunch advocate of LGBTQ inclusion. However, according to ABC News, his pastoral duties have endedthe result of a split ...
|Michigan diocese issues anti-trans request 2021-12-12|
- A Catholic diocese in Michigan is asking its pastors to deny baptism, confirmation and other sacraments to transgender and nonbinary people unless they have "repented"a policy that's possibly the most sweeping of its kind in the ...
|Rainbow Railroad plans 'When I Am Free' benefit concert to get LGBTQI+s to safety 2021-11-20|
--From a press release. Videos below - Chicago, IL (November 12, 2021) - The annual Chicago 5 Lives Fundraiser hosted by Rainbow Railroad is proud to return this year with "When I Am Free", a benefit concert offering attendees a premier evening of ...
|Bishops approve paper that falls short of denying Communion to pro-choice Biden 2021-11-18|
--From a press release - On Nov. 17, the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops voted overwhelmingly to approve a document that fell short of refusing Holy Communion to President Joe Biden or others who support abortion rights—something conservatives in the Church ...
|Hell in a Handbag Productions to present Christmas Dearest 2021-11-12|
--From a press release - Book & Lyrics David Cerda Music by David Cerda and Scott Lamberty. Directed by Derek Van Barham. Nov. 27 — Dec. 31, 2021 at Ebenezer Lutheran Churchz CHICAGO (November 11, 2021) — Hell in a Handbag ...
|Believe Out Loud multi-faith statement decries Texas' anti trans youth law 2021-11-02|
--From a press release - DALLAS, Texas (Nov. 2, 2021) — A national coalition of 37 organizations and more than 171 individuals have endorsed a multi-faith statement of solidarity with transgender children in Texas, after Texas Gov. Greg Abbott signed into ...
|NATIONAL Foster-parent case, stars speak out, Texas youth, 'Queer Eye,' HIV 2021-10-17|
- Americans United for Separation of Church and State and Lambda Legal, together with the law firm Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP, filed a federal lawsuit against the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), along ...
|OP-ED The Black church was one of R. Kelly's enablers 2021-10-13|
- The long-awaited justice for R. Kelly's survivors finally came last month when a New York federal jury found him guilty of racketeering and sex trafficking. For nearly 30 years, underage Black girls and their families have ...