WINDY CITY TIMES
This article shared 1724 times since Wed Feb 15, 2012
Don't fret if you missed the acclaimed tour of the 2008 Lincoln Center Theater revival of Rodgers and Hammerstein's South Pacific when it played a brief run at the Rosemont Theatre back in 2009. The Pulitzer Prize-winning 1949 musical is back in the Chicago area for a longer stay in the Loop, so go now and revel in its glorious score and marvel at its serious message questioning institutionalized racism. ( South Pacific was so controversial that the musical was often banned in the Deep South. ) Rodgers and Hammerstein's South Pacific continues through Sunday, Feb. 26, at the Cadillac Palace Theatre, 151 W. Randolph St. Performances are 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays ( also 7:30 p.m. Feb. 19 ) , 2 and 8 p.m. Saturdays and 2 p.m. Sundays ( also 2 p.m. Feb. 22 ) . Tickets are $18-$85; call 800-775-2000 or visit www.broadwayinchicago.com . Photo of Marcelo Guzzo and Katie Reid in South Pacific by Joan Marcus
This article shared 1724 times since Wed Feb 15, 2012
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Peppermint barks while Broadway bangs, and all the other dish to start the week 2022-11-28|
- "I love Broadway. I love what they do—Broadway Cares, but I also want to say the show is extraordinary!" —Nicole Kidman's impromptu speech after bidding $100K to Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS for Hugh Jackman's hat after ...
|New York theaters bounce back: Four shows ask questions about identity 2022-11-22|
- All theater critics worth their salt should take a bite of the Big Apple now and then, savoring the bright lights of Broadway and a soggy slice of what passes for pizza. On my first visit in nearly three years, Broadway ...
|Gay man to head Chicago Latino Theater Alliance 2022-11-15|
- The Chicago Latino Theater Alliance (CLATA) announced the appointment of Jorge Valdivia as its new executive director, according to the Lawndale News. Valdivia's previous position was director of performing arts at the National Museum of Mexic ...
|Theater Review: Porchlight's Rent is a winner 2022-11-09|
By Jonathan Abarbanel - Title: Rent. Playwright: Jonathan Larson (book, music, lyrics) At: Porchlight Music Theatre at Ruth Page Center. Tickets: 773-777-9884; PorchlightMusicTheatre.org; $25 and up. Runs through: Dec. 11 From its 1996 premiere ...
|Mister International Rubber takes the stage at Center on Halsted, Riviera Theatre 2022-11-07|
- The MIR26 (Mister International Rubber) competition took place at the Center on Halsted and the Riviera Theatre over the Nov. 4-6 weekend. Pusckatt Pumera Onyx won the competition. The event was co-emceed by Lucy Stoole and ...
|SHOWBIZ Gay racer, GALECA, Lena Waithe, 'Chicago,' LGBTQ+ films 2022-11-06|
- Gay motorsports racer Zach Herrin made his long-awaited debut in a NASCAR-affiliated race in Phoenix, The Advocate noted. "I know I have a lot of eyes on me, and all I want to do is get out there and blur everything ...
|SHOWBIZ Nathan Lane, gala, Beyonce, Kevin Aviance, Henry Cavill, Shania 2022-10-30|
Video below - Nathan Lane is returning to Broadway this winter to star in the debut run of Pictures of Home, per The Hollywood Reporter. Based on the photo memoir by Larry Sultan of the same name and adapted ...
|Young trans playwright queers Shakespeare in new production 'Malapert Love' 2022-10-29|
- The Artistic Home will debut Malapert Love on Nov. 5-Dec. 11 in Wicker Park at The Den Theatre's Upstairs Mainstage, 1331 N. Milwaukee Ave. The gender-bending, Shakespearean romantic comedy was written by 18-year-old Siah Berlatsky, who's ...
|THEATER 'The Golden Girls' holiday special Nov. 26-Dec. 30 2022-10-27|
- Hell in a Handbag Productions is in The Golden Girls: The Lost Episodes, The Obligatory Holiday Special, playing Nov. 26-Dec. 30 at The Hoover-Leppen Theatre at The Center on Halsted, 3656 N. Halsted St. Dorothy, Rose, ...
|'Cirque Dreams Holidaze' to take place Dec. 22-24 2022-10-26|
- Cirque Dreams Holidaze is set to dazzle Chicago audiences with a Broadway-style production infused with contemporary circus arts. The production will play for six performances on Dec. 22-24 at the Auditorium Theatre, 50 Ida B. Wells ...
|16th Street Theater to close at the end of the year 2022-10-26|
- The board of Berwyn's 16th Street Theater announced that the award-winning, nationally acclaimed Equity theater company will close at the end of 2022. A statement read, "For 15 inspiring seasons, plus two years of the pandemic, ...
|Cody Estle to step down as Raven Theatre artistic director 2022-10-24|
- Raven Theatre's board of directors announced that Cody Estle will step down as the company's artistic director at the end of November. Estle has been the company's artistic leader since 2017. He will join Milwaukee's Next ...
|Five Worth Finding: COVID book, 'Wicked' cocktails, 'A Taste of Hope' and more 2022-10-24|
- —COVID-19, the LGBTQIA+ Community and Public Policy: As studies emerge to help us understand the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on every facet of modern life, it is critical that the effect of the pandemic on ...
|Chicago Theatre Week 2023 to take place Feb. 16-26 2022-10-21|
-- From a press release - ChicagoChicago Theatre Week (#CTW23), an annual celebration of the rich tradition of theatergoing in Chicago during which visitors and residents can access value-priced tickets, will take place Feb. 16-26, 2023. ...
|'Lady Day,' 'Rock of Ages' part of Mercury Theater Chicago's 2023 season 2022-10-21|
-- From a press release - Chicago — Mercury Theater Artistic Director Christopher Chase Carter, Managing Director Kristi J. Martens and Executive Producers L. Walter Stearns and Eugene Dizon announced the 2023 Mercury Theater Chicago season ...