WINDY CITY TIMES
||Sara Bareilles kicks off tour in Chicago
by Tracy Baim, Windy City Times
This article shared 6410 times since Fri Jul 11, 2014
Going to a Sara Bareilles concert is a bit like going to a Chicago Sky women's basketball team, but less racially mixed. There are a lot of lesbians, a lot of screaming young female fans, and a sprinkling of heterosexual couples and gay men.
Bareilles is a big ally of the LGBT community and her LGBT fans have been rewarded with such songs as "Brave" and her simply beautiful duet with Ingrid Michaelson, "Winter Song." ( I have watched that video more than 100 times. )
Her fans were treated to a mix of new and classic songs ( plus some covers including En Vogue's "My Lovin'" ) in the first stop of her "Little Black Dress" summer tour, at the Chicago Theatre July 10. She's a fantastic singer and songwriter, and her energy was infectious. The videos behind her were unique to each song, and her band was phenomenal. And it's great see a woman singer backed in part by powerful female musicians.
Unfortunately, the sound mix was crushing. It not only made it very difficult to hear the lyrics, but it also made a lot of the songs sound the same. There was little distinction in the blasting of instruments. That's a shame for songs so based on the words.
The concert is certainly worth it, especially for Bareilles fans who were eager to sing along to her most popular tunes. It was also nice to see her play multiple instruments and interact with her band. She joked about the fact that many of her songs can be quite depressing, but they were received as cathartic love anthems by the fans. These included "Gonna Get Over You."
Other highlights included "Love Song," "Uncharted," "Gravity," "King of Anything," "Hercules," the haunting "Manhattan " and of course a rousing, audience-participation performance of "Brave" with the music video behind the band. She did multiple encore songs, but ended on a really slow downer song. I suggest "Brave" is the best one to close the show next time.
This article shared 6410 times since Fri Jul 11, 2014
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Pitchfork Music Festival returns and turns 15 in 2021 2021-09-17|
- Pitchfork Music Festival turned 15 years old in Chicago this year after being cancelled last year because of the pandemic. This lively celebration of eclectic music continued in the same spot (Union Park) with the usual ...
|'Andersonville Homecoming' Sept. 24-26; line-up, vendors, safety protocols announced 2021-09-15|
--From a press release - CHICAGO (Sept. 15, 2021) — The Andersonville Chamber of Commerce (ACC) is pleased to announce the full entertainment line-up and vendors for Andersonville Homecoming--a three-night, two-day outdoor festival featuring ...
|Students urged to apply for Musical Theatre Awards 2021-09-14|
- Broadway in Chicago is inviting high schools across Illinois to participate in the 11th Annual Illinois High School Musical Theatre Awards. These awards celebrate excellence in high school theater throughout the state. Beginning Thursday, Sept. 16, ...
|CAIC announces 2021 Collaborative Works Festival, immigration, migration in song 2021-09-13|
--From a press release - CHICAGO— Collaborative Arts Institute of Chicago (CAIC) begins its eleventh anniversary season with its annual Collaborative Works Festival, held in venues around Chicago from October 6—9, 2021. The 2021 Collaborative ...
|MUSIC Lil Nas X wins top award at MTV VMAs 2021-09-13|
- The MTV VMA Awards took place Sept. 12and an LGBTQ+ artist took home one of the night's top awards. Lil Nas X won Video of the Year for "Montero (Call Me By Your Name)," besting Cardi ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Boy Meets Boy,' Jennifer Hudson, 'SVU,' tennis honor, ABBA 2021-09-12|
- Ariztical Entertainment is releasing the German movie Boy Meets Boy on DVD and VOD on Oct. 26. According to a press release, the plot of the 70-minute movie is as follows: "Harry has been partying for ...
|Pride Fest will extend to Oct. 3; headliners include Kristine W and Mya 2021-09-12|
- Mya, Shangela, VINCINT, Crystal Waters, Kristine W, Brooke Eden and St. Panther are among the headliners for Chicago Pride Fest now taking place over three days, Oct. 1-3, in Chicago's LGBTQ+ landmark Northalsted/Lake View district. The ...
|THEATER 'Dear Mom, I'm Gay!' on Oct. 1-2 2021-09-11|
- Dear Mom, I'm Gay!a workshop of a new musical by David Dilsizianis running at The Jarvis Square Theater, 1439 W. Jarvis Ave. It will take place at 7 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 1; and 2 and ...
|ARC Music Festival debuts in Chicago over Labor Day Weekend 2021-09-11|
- Replacing North Coast Music Festival's usual spot in Union Park, ARC Music Festival launched Sept. 4-5. North Coast was forced to move to SeatGeek Stadium in Bridgeview, Illinois, that same weekend to a stadium that was ...
|MUSIC 'Global Citizen Live' to run Sept. 25-26 2021-09-09|
- International advocacy organization Global Citizen announced the expansion of "Global Citizen Live" to include Los Angeles and London with an outdoor event in L.A., which is presented by Verizon, and headlined by Stevie Wonder with Adam ...
|'Close-Up with Carmen' Sept. 9 at Center on Halsted 2021-09-08|
- 'Close-Up with Carmen'about the intersection of drag and operawill take place Thursday, Sept. 9, at 6 p.m. at the Hoover-Leppen Theatre at Center on Halsted, 3656 N. Halsted St. During this event, participants will discuss cross-dressi ...
|Britney Spears' dad petitions to end conservatorship 2021-09-08|
- In a huge win for pop star Britney Spears, her father and the conservator of her estate, Jamie Spears, filed a petition to end the arrangement on Sept. 7, media outlets reported. Jamie cited his daughter's ...
|Footwork dancers to be featured Sept. 10 in Art on theMART event 2021-09-05|
- "Dance Down by The River"an evening of Chicago dance and musicis coming to the Riverwalk in conjunction with Art on theMART thanks to a Chicago Presents grant awarded by the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and ...
|MUSIC Upcoming 'Carmen' featuring queer lead, male drag 2021-09-05|
- On Sept. 16 and 18 at the Harris Theater for Music and Dance, 205 E. Randolph St., Chicago audiences will have the rare opportunity to hear two world-class dramatic mezzo-sopranos debut new roles opposite one another ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Idol' alums, Zendaya, Gaga, 'Queer As Folk,' women rappers 2021-09-05|
- American Idol alum David Archuleta said that God urged him to come out as a member of the LGBTQ+ community, NBC News noted. The Nashville resident told Today.com he wasn't sure if the community would embrace ...