WINDY CITY TIMES
||SOCCER Three Red Stars join USWNT's January training camp
This article shared 485 times since Wed Jan 12, 2022
Three Chicago Red Stars will join the United States Women's National Team (USWNT) next week for the team's annual January training camp taking place Jan. 19-28.
Defender Tierna Davidson, goalkeeper Alyssa Naeher and forward Mallory Pugh will join the rest of the USWNT team in Austin, Texas, for the January camp.
Davidson and Naeher were part of the U.S. team that won a bronze medal in the Tokyo Olympics last summer. Pugh made an electric return to the USWNT last year, her first call up to the national team since the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup. The forward assisted on three goals in her first game and started in three of four matches in September and October.
This training camp marks the first action of 2022 for the USWNT, but will not include any international matches. The United States' first matches of the year will take place at the 2022 SheBelieves Cup against the Czech Republic (Feb. 17) and New Zealand (Feb. 20) at Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, California; and Iceland (Feb. 23) at Toyota Stadium in Frisco, Texas.
This article shared 485 times since Wed Jan 12, 2022
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Talks begin for new near west side major league soccer training facility 2022-01-27|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO — Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot, Chicago Fire Football Club, Ald. Jason Ervin (28th Ward),and Chicago Housing Authority (CHA) CEO Tracey Scott announced the start of preliminary discussions on a ...
|SPORTS Bulls, Blackhawks prevail 2022-01-27|
- The Chicago Bulls (30-17) defeated the Toronto Raptors (23-23) 111-105 at the United Center on Jan. 26 to pull into second place in the Eastern Conference. Nikola Vucevic hit a three-pointer from the left wing with ...
|Chicago Sky hire Ann Wauters as assistant coach 2022-01-26|
- The defending WNBA champion Chicago Sky have hired Ann Wauters as an assistant coach, General Manager/Head Coach James Wade announced in a press statement. "We are very excited to welcome Ann to our staff." Wade said. ...
|Chicago Red Stars appoint Michelle Lomnicki associate general manager 2022-01-26|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO, IL. (Jan. 26, 2022) — Michelle Lomnicki, a former player for the Chicago Red Stars, has been named the club's associate general manager. "We're thrilled to have Michelle expand her role with the Red Stars," ...
|Chicago Bears hire Ryan Poles as general manager 2022-01-26|
- The Chicago Bears have hired Ryan Poles, 36, as their next general manager, a press release stated. Poles has spent the last 13 seasons working with the Kansas City Chiefs as a player personnel assistant (2009), ...
|SPORTS Bulls edge Oklahoma City 111-110 2022-01-25|
- The Chicago Bulls (29-17) barely got back in the win column, edging the Oklahoma City Thunder (14-33) 111-110 in Oklahoma. Zach LaVinewho had missed several games with an injuryscored 23 points along with seven assists and ...
|ICYMI: NCAA Facilitator quits in protest of NCAA's failure to protect trans athletes 2022-01-24|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON, D.C. — Today, Dorian Rhea Debussy, Ph.D. (they/them), one of 54 facilitators in the NCAA Division III LGBTQ OneTeam program, resigned in protest of recent actions the NCAA has taken, including a new policy around ...
|SPORTS Bulls fall to lowly Orlando 114-95 2022-01-24|
- The short-handed Chicago Bulls (28-17) continued their slide, losing to the Orlando Magic (9-39) 114-95 on Jan. 23 in Florida. The Bulls were recently first in the Eastern Conference; now, they're in third place. DeMar DeRozan ...
|SHOWBIZ 'The Gay Agenda,' Elliot Page, actress dies, sports items, Rock Hudson 2022-01-23|
- Netflix has launched The Gay Agenda, a podcast that looks at the lives of LGBTQ creatives at the top of their fields across different industries, NBC News noted. The goal, the streaming service said, is to ...
|SPORTS Packers fall to 49ers in NFL playoffs 2022-01-23|
- The Green Bay Packers made the NFL playoffs while the Chicago Bears didn't. However, they'll both be watching this year's Super Bowl from home after the top-seeded Packers (13-5) fell to the San Francisco 49ers (12-7) ...
|Bulls, Blackhawks fall short; 'Hawks reschedule games 2022-01-22|
- In NBA action, the Chicago Bulls (28-16) fell short against the defending-champion Milwaukee Bucks (29-19), losing 94-90 in Wisconsin on Jan. 21. Bulls coach Billy Donovan was livid after the game. He was upset about Bucks ...
|HRC condemns NCAA for failure to protect LGBTQ+ athletes 2022-01-21|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON, D.C. Late last night, the NCAA ratified (https://www.ncaa.org/news/2022/1/20/media-center-ncaa-members-approve-new-constitution.aspx) its new constitution, which does not include nondiscrimination policy language that had ...
|SPORTS Bulls end losing streak against Cleveland 2022-01-20|
- The Chicago Bulls (28-15) ended their four-game losing streak with a sorely needed 117-104 victory over the Cleveland Cavaliers (27-19) on Jan. 19 at the United Center. DeMar DeRozan and Nikola Vucevic combined for 54 points, ...
|NCAA updates trans-related policies 2022-01-20|
- The NCAA has adopted a sport-by-sport approach for transgender athletes, bringing the organization in line with the U.S. and International Olympic Committees (IOC), POLITICO reported. Under the new guidelines, approved ...
|Texas' anti-trans youth sports law goes into effect 2022-01-18|
- A new Texas law bars transgender student athletes from competing on school sports teams that align with their gender identity, Houston Public Media reported. House Bill 25 is one of several laws that went into effect ...