WINDY CITY TIMES
||Protest of Uganda Anti-Homosexuality Bill planned planned
This article shared 2009 times since Tue Dec 8, 2009
Gay Liberation Network is joining worldwide protests against the Anti-Homosexuality Bill now being debated in the Ugandan parliament. To coincide with International Human Rights Day, a protest is planned for Thursday, Dec. 10, 6:30 to 7:30pm, Center on Halsted, 3656 N. Halsted, at the corner of Waveland.
Gay Liberation Network is highlighting the role that evangelicals in the U.S. have played in opening the door to death penalties for Ugandan Gays. According to news reports, anti-gay activist Scott Lively and Exodus International board member Don Schmierer spoke at an antigay seminar earlier this year, claiming that people can "pray away the gay," thereby blaming the victims for choosing a well deserved punishment. GLN points out that almost all of the existing anti-gay laws in Africa are holdovers from the European colonial governments which dominated the continent in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries and highlights ties between The Family, a right-ring organization based in Washington D.C. and Ugandan legislative leaders.
The new Anti-Homosexuality Bill, if passed, threatens life imprisonment or the death penalty for anyone alleged to be homosexual, according to GLN and news reports. Examples given include parents who don't report a lesbian daughter or gay son to the authorities facing a possible three years in prison or teachers who don't report lesbian or gay students facing the same penalties. GLN reports that landlords who give housing to a suspected homosexual risk 7 years imprisonment and that the Bill threatens to brutally punish anyone who works with the gay community in areas of HIV/AIDS activism or health care.
This article shared 2009 times since Tue Dec 8, 2009
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Protest held outside New Life Covenant Church over alleged anti-LGBTQ practices 2023-03-13|
- Now-former New Life Covenant Church parishioner Rosaly Andino, who is a lesbian, and her allies gathered across the street from the church in the Humboldt Park neighborhood March 12 to protest alleged anti-LGBTQ practices by Pastor David Marrero. ...
|NATIONAL Drag shows, LGBTQ+ honors, Bragman memorial, Fred Karger 2023-03-04|
Video below - Dozens of supporters turned out outside the Crazy Aunt Hellen's restaurant in D.C. in anticipation of a drag show's planned protest by the far-right group Proud Boysbut police said members of the far-right, neo-fascist organization didn' ...
|NATIONAL Help center, PrEP/PEP bill, gay pol weds, Creating Change protest 2023-02-24|
- On Feb. 21, the LGBT National Help Center officially launched its newest program, the LGBT National Coming Out Support Hotline, per a press release. The hotline focuses specifically on the concerns of those who are struggling ...
|SAVOR Uproar; Feb. 2 benefit dinner 2023-01-19|
- According to the Oxford English Dictionary, an uproar can be "a loud and impassioned noise or disturbance" or "a public expression of protest and outrage." Scott Horwitch—the owner of Old Town spot Uproar (1252 N. Wells ...
|WORLD Indian marches, delegation in Cuba, anti-LGBTQ+ investigation 2023-01-15|
- Hundreds of people took part in the first Delhi Queer Pride march in three years as pressure grows for legal recognition of same-sex marriage in India, The Manila Times noted. In March, the South Asian's top ...
|Howard Brown strike reaches third day 2023-01-05|
- Amid layoffs of 60 unionized and four non-union staffers at multiple Howard Brown Health (Howard Brown), Broadway Youth Center and Brown Elephant locations across Chicago, over 400 HBH Workers United non-nurse members represented by the Illinois ...
|LGBTQ+ HISTORY MONTH San Francisco Public Library digitizes LGBTQ+ archives, including Harvey Milk holdings 2022-10-09|
LGBTQ+ HISTORY MONTH - Shot with black-and-white film, two small children stand outside in a San Francisco public plaza draped in protest signs. One reads, "We're Proud, Not Stigmatized." The other declares, "We Love Our Gay Parents." In the right ...
|WORLD Trans women elected, Zambia protest, Spice Girl, public figures come out 2022-10-09|
Video below - On Oct. 2, two transgender women won seats in the Brazilian Congress, The Washington Blade reported. Voters in Sao Paulo elected Municipal Councilwoman Erika Hilton, a Black former sex worker who is a member of the ...
|UpRising Bakery hosts LGBTQ+ history event; protesters still a constant 2022-10-02|
- A handful of anti-LGBTQ+ protesters regularly stand outside the mall that houses UpRising Bakery and Cafe in Northwest suburban Lake in the Hills. That was the case again Oct. 1, the start of LGBTQ+ History Month, ...
|Coalition decries Des Plaines candidate training sponsored by anti-LGBTQ+ groups 2022-09-25|
- A coalition of parents, educators and pro-LGBTQ+, pro-equity groups held a press conference Sept. 24 in front of the Courtyard by Marriott Chicago O'Hare hotel in Des Plaines to protest a school-board candidate training being held ...
|NATIONAL Protests, Respect for Marriage Act, photographer, Fla. Democrat 2022-09-11|
- The Inland Empire Pride festival in Riverside, California, was disrupted when far-right extremists demonstrated outside the event venue, The Advocate reported. Violent clashes erupted between protesters and those attending the ...
|Texas drag brunch brings out armed defenders, protesters 2022-08-30|
- The attacks against drag brunches and related events continue around the countryresulting in people going to great lengths to allow the shows to take place. A group of people armed with AR-15-style assault rifles stood guard ...
|GoFundMe page for UpRising Bakery raises thousands of dollars 2022-07-25|
- A GoFundMe page for Lake in the Hills venue UpRising Bakery and Cafe—an LGBTQ+-owned site that was the subject of protests and vandalism after planning to host a family-friendly drag show that was later canceled—has raised ...
|Schakowsky arrested during abortion-rights rally; Quigley takes legislative action 2022-07-21|
- Illinois Congresswoman Jan Schakosky and more than a dozen other Democratic members of Congress were arrested by Capitol Police on July 19 during an abortion-rights protest outside the U.S. Supreme Court, CBS News reported. U.S. Capitol ...
|Suburban bakery cancels drag event after controversy, vandalism [UPDATE] 2022-07-21|
- After protests, controversy and repeated vandalism, a suburban bakery's planned all-ages drag show/brunch has been canceled, ABC 7 Chicago reported. ...
|WORLD German bishops, trans woman's death, Hungary, human-rights event|
|SHOWBIZ 'Black Adam,' Cyndi Lauper, Sondheim, Oscars, OutFest|
|NATIONAL Ritchie Torres, N.J. towns, Karine Jean-Pierre, Tennessee items|
|Navratilova says she is cancer-free|
|UpRising Bakery and Cafe could soon close due to revenue losses, ongoing anti-LGBTQ+ harassment|