WINDY CITY TIMES
||President Obama: Constitution guarantees right to marry
From a Human Rights Campaign press release
This article shared 2568 times since Tue Oct 21, 2014
WASHINGTON — In an interview with The New Yorker's Jeffrey Toobin, President Obama has for the first time announced he believes the U.S. Constitution guarantees same-sex couples the right to marry in all fifty states. This is a stark progression from the President's previous position, which to allow each state to decide the issue individually. President Obama told Toobin, "Ultimately, I think the Equal Protection Clause does guarantee same-sex marriage in all fifty states."
"The President's position on marriage equality is supported by dozens of federal court rulings over the last year, which have ruled discriminatory state bans on marriage unconstitutional," said Human Rights Campaign President Chad Griffin. "America's core values of liberty and equality under the law were enshrined in our Constitution by our founders to protect those who face inequality inflicted by the majority. It's only a matter of time before committed and loving gay and lesbian couples can legally marry in every corner of this great nation."
The President's previous position allowed states to continue enforcing discriminatory laws and state constitutional amendments that prohibit same-sex couples from legally marrying. Those bans have been struck down as unconstitutional by dozens of state and federal court rulings across the country in recent months and years. Four such rulings out of the Fourth, Seventh and Tenth Circuit Courts of Appeals were allowed to stand by the Supreme Court of the United States earlier this month. While all of the rulings vary slightly in the legal justification for striking down the bans, all point to either the U.S. Constitution's guarantee of equal protection or due process under the Fourteenth Amendment.
In May 2012, President Obama became the first sitting President of the United States to announce support for marriage rights for same-sex couples. Viewed in full, President Obama's legacy of achievement is unmatched in history: three landmark pieces of legislation; 90 significant policy or regulatory changes, including the largest conferral of rights in history to LGBT people via the implementation of the Windsor decision; and 15 federal judicial and seven ambassadorial appointments of openly LGBT people.
This article shared 2568 times since Tue Oct 21, 2014
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|[UPDATE] Lisle school offers job to lacrosse coach in same-sex marriage 2021-09-21|
- The administration at Lisle’s Benet Academy, a west suburban Catholic school, has reversed course and offered a job to a woman in a same-sex marriage after initially rescinding the offer, The Chicago Tribune reported. ...
|Pope again refuses to bless same-sex marriages 2021-09-18|
- Pope Francis told reporters recently on a return flight from Hungary that the Catholic Church is unable to bless same-sex marriages because marriage is a divine sacrament between a man and a woman, per The Advocate. ...
|Polis marriage marks first same-sex wedding of sitting governor 2021-09-17|
- On Sept. 15, Colorado Democratic Gov. Jared Polis wed longtime partner Marlon Reis—marking the first same-sex marriage of a sitting U.S. governor, NPR reported. Polis keeps making history. In 2018, Polis became the first openly gay ...
|LGBTQ advocates celebrate two Illinois marriage certificate modernization bills 2021-07-27|
--From a press release - Trans and non-binary people who were married in Illinois will now be able to obtain marriage certificates that reflect their authentic selves thanks to legislation signed today by Governor JB Pritzker, according to Equality Illinois and ...
|WORLD Marriage in Chile, Polish website, Toronto news, 'Reclaim Pride' march 2021-07-25|
- On July 21, Chile's Senate approved an equal-marriage bill, DW.com reported. The regulations were presented during the second government of the socialist Michelle Bachelet (2014-2018) and last June 1, during ...
|LGBTQ advocates celebrate passage of Illinois marriage certificate name change legislation 2021-05-28|
--From a press release - LGBTQ advocates are celebrating passage of state legislation that will provide certainty for individuals requesting that their Illinois marriage certificates reflect a legal name change. HB 2590 is an initiative of Equality Illinois and Chicago House ...
|LGBT-inclusive marriage-certificate act passes state General Assembly 2021-05-21|
--From a press release - May 21. 2021 - In an effort to modernize marriage certificates in Illinois, state Sen. Sara Feigenholtz and state Rep. Ann Williams helped pass The Marriage Certificate Modernization Act through the Illinois General Assembly. The legislation ...
|Starting May 3, ceremonies in Cook County's downtown Marriage Court can be performed by Zoom 2021-04-30|
- CHICAGO (April 30) — Marriage and civil union ceremonies at Cook County's downtown Marriage and Civil Union Court (Marriage Court) may be performed via Zoom videoconference, as well as in person, starting next week, according to ...
|Illinois Senate passes proposal removing gendered language from marriage certificates
--From a press release - On April 21, on its third reading, the Illinois Senate passed (by a bipartisan vote of 44-13) a proposal that amends the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act to allow the removal of gendered language ...
|Russian leader Putin officially bans same-sex marriage
- On April 5, Russian President Vladimir Putin signed into law a series of constitutional amendments that, among other things, formally defines marriage as between a man and a woman in the country, The Washington Blade reported. ...
|Global momentum for marriage equality surges,"Freedom to Marry Global" website created 2021-03-31|
--From a freedomtomarry.org press release - April 1st marks twenty years since the Netherlands ended the exclusion of same-sex couples from marriage, becoming the first of so far 30 countries worldwide to affirm the freedom to marry for same-sex couples. Now, two ...
|WORLD Landmark ruling, Montreal's Gay Village, acid attack, anti-LGBTQ laws 2021-03-21|
- In a landmark ruling, a Japanese court ruled that the government's ban on same-sex marriage is unconstitutional, NPR noted. Article 24 of Japan's constitution defines marriage as based on the "mutual consent of both sexes," which ...
|LETTER The Vatican's words and actions do not echo love 2021-03-18|
- The LGBTQA community is responding with shock, anger and frustration at the Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith statement concerning same-sex unions. Many in our community can't understand why Pope Francis would allow such a ...
|Pope Francis documentary 'Francesco' to debut March 26
- Pope Francisin the news lately because of the Catholic Church's stance that it cannot bless same-sex unions, adding that it is "not licit" to bless relationships that involve sexual activity outside of marriageis the subject of ...
|DignityUSA: Vatican denying same-sex blessings "Exacerbates pain and anger" 2021-03-16|
--From a press release - March 15, 2021. DignityUSA, the organization of Catholics working for justice, equality, and full inclusion of LGBTQI people in the church and society, is deeply disappointed by the Vatican's statement unequivocally denying blessings to same-sex coupl ...